Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winston Churchill is rolling in his grave.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winston Churchill is rolling in his grave.

This happened when I was going to school away from home, about 4-ish years ago. While I was there, I did work study at the Winston Churchill Memorial & Library (I was a tour guide, receptionist, errand girl, etc.).

Behind the front counter was a very large bust of Winston Churchill. It was December, and in the Christmas spirit the museum was decorated in a very festive manner. Part of these decorations included a santa hat that we had put on Churchill's head.

I was finishing up with a customer, and right before she leaves, she looks disgustedly at the Churchill bust, and we have this exchange:

Woman: You really ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
    Me: I'm sorry?
    Woman: Can you really disrespect Mr. Churchill like that? Does your curator know about that hat?
    Me: [Thinking, what a fruitcake.] Oh. Well, all our decorations are authorized by our curator.
    Woman: I just can't believe you would think that a man like Winston Churchill would be okay with disrespecting his image like that. You need to take that down right now.
    Me: [I really, really don't want to take it down just to spite this lady.] I'll certainly bring up your concerns with our director...

Woman continues to demand I take it down. Just to get her to leave, I do so, and she leaves. Not five minutes later I put the santa hat back up. When I told my director about her later on, she thought it was hilarious. If Churchill had been alive, I think he would have more important things on his mind than to get bent out of shape because some museum employees put a santa hat on his statue. I bet he'd probably have a sense of humour about the whole thing, unlike this woman.
    --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Why yes, I do believe Winston Churchill had a great sense of humor.

I so want to use one of his lines at the bar or a party sometime:

Ugly skank: You're drunk!
    Me: Indeed I am. And you're ugly. Thing is, in the morning I'll be sober!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I get the feeling that Churchill himself would have approved of having a santa hat put on his bust.....

Sheesh, lighten up folks, why is it automaticaly assumed historical figures were all stuffed shirts that never got a laugh out of anything?
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Sheesh, lighten up folks, why is it automaticaly assumed historical figures were all stuffed shirts that never got a laugh out of anything?
        Because many of them had a real dry sense of humor, which gets lost on many of the stuffed shirts.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

The only flaw with that is if you can tell she is in fact ugly, you are not drunk enough

Another one is:
          Girl-No, I don't want to dance.
          Guy(confused look on his face)-Dance? What? I did not ask you to dance, I said "you look fat in those pants!!"
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Reminds me of something my father used to say.

I may be fat, but you're ugly and I can go on a diet.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth CSR Kim View Post
              If Churchill had been alive, I think he would have more important things on his mind than to get bent out of shape because some museum employees put a santa hat on his statue.
              Yeah, like getting his hands on a big bottle of cognoc and a fat stogie. This woman would get the line he gave to Lady Nancy Astor

Lady Astor: Mr. Churchill! If you were my husband, I'd poison your coffee!
              Churchill: And if I were your husband I would drink it!

I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Five-year-old nephew: Uncle? Is it true you're the greatest living Englishman?

Churchill: Yes, now bugger off.

Rapscallion

Comment

I think Churchill would have approved, as well. If the man could hold a conversation with the President of the US while sitting in his bath, a Santa hat would not have upset him unduly.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

I'm sure Churchill woudl have loved the idea. Anyone who can come up with lines like the ones above would not have made an issue over a Christmas hat.

Comment

I learned more about Churchill in this thread than ever before.

OT:
                      Is it true he had a parrot who used to cuss the Nazis out, and that its' still alive today? I remember reading an article years ago about it. I think.
                      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                        OT:
                        Is it true he had a parrot who used to cuss the Nazis out, and that its' still alive today? I remember reading an article years ago about it. I think.
                        Yes, and that parrot is now leading France...

DISCLAIMER: This has been a joke, and only a joke. This joke is not meant to offend or set off debate. In the event you find yourself offended by the joke printed above, go immediately to your bathtub, fill it with cold water and soak your head for 5-10 minutes, or until sysmptoms stop.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Churchill had a great sense of humour, and as stern as he looks in photographs, he also had a great sense of whimsy. I'm sure he would have loved the Santa hat.
                          I named my dog after Winston Churchill. I consider it a homage to the great man - should I be ashamed of myself instead?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            I consider it a homage to the great man - should I be ashamed of myself instead?
                            "Winston" is a great name for a dog. You should only be ashamed if you start calling it "Churchie-wurchie" or some garbage like that.
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I used to have a cat named Churchill.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X