This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go with spinelessness again

So today, when I came in for work, I noticed a flatbed piled high with six pieces of furniture, still sealed in the unopened boxes, from a collection we discontinued a long time ago. As in all the pieces were marked down and gone several months ago.

Attached to the furniture was a cryptic note indicating a couple people in the store knew the story behind the furniture.

One of those people was working today, and I got the story from her. The furniture was purchased by a couple who had purchased some cabins up north, and were fixing them up to rent them out. They bought our entire stock of the furniture and possibly more from other stores. When they were done they found they had purchased too much furniture, and came back to return the excess to the store.

Where they were informed they could not, because policy gives 90 days for returns. So cue the normal SC threats and insults--"You people are crooks, we're never shopping here again, blah blah blah blah blah."

The couple claimed we couldn't enforce the policy because it isn't printed on the receipt. It isn't--but it is posted on a sign behind the service desk, and also spelled out on our website. I know this because I just checked.

Then they claimed they had spoken to store manager over the phone and he said it would be okay to return the furniture. We don't know if this is true or not; he wasn't in when these people came in with their furniture.

Planogram supervisor happened by, and she took it upon herself to play manager, as she tends to do. I don't know exactly what she said or did, but it sounds like she was the one who convinced the service desk people to do the return.

And then the person I talked to was dragged into the whole mess to override the system and give the SCs their refund, in the form of a gift card.

Nobody's going to say boo about any of this, because the SCs turned around and bought $400 worth of stuff from us after getting their gift card. Every business professor and customer service "expert" alive would say we did the right thing in caving.

So now we have these six pieces of furniture languishing in the backroom, and nobody knows what is going to happen with them. We figure they will be marked way down and placed out on the floor for sale, but displays of each piece (three different items) may need to be built to actually sell them.

I really don't know why we bother with return policies. I really don't. Seems they are only for nice people who read rules and follow them and keep their mouths shut.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I feel for ya, Irv...I truly do. Same thing happens where I work (and I suspect it happens very frequently in just about every industry where returns are a part of doing business). Sure, there are cases where I feel sorry for the customer, and often they end up taking "no" for an answer. But then you get the dickwads like that couple at your store. Yeah, they bought more stuff but they're still assholes and you still have a shitload of possibly useless stuff to get rid of. Argghh!!!
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Who wants to bet in a few months they will come looking for the same items because someone they rented to destroyed the stuff. Then they will blame "you" because you all do not have that line anymore...

If it was me I would have kept it just for this scenario.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
        Who wants to bet in a few months they will come looking for the same items because someone they rented to destroyed the stuff. Then they will blame "you" because you all do not have that line anymore...

If it was me I would have kept it just for this scenario.
        And doubled the price!

Comment

Well I meant if I had bught an extra set... but yeah keep the one left in the back and when they come back looking double the price.. lol

Comment

First, what idiot decide not to have the return policy printed on the receipts? Without that buyers can always claim the signs were not up when they were in.

Second, if there is any flak, make sure it goes to the person who decided they were management when they were not.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              First, what idiot decide not to have the return policy printed on the receipts? Without that buyers can always claim the signs were not up when they were in.
              Just get them to point to the policy that says they can have a return/refund/replacement/gift card/three naked maidens to peel grapes for them. When did it become the expected default that a shop must take something back just because the buyer decides they don't want it?

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. The DM at my store has told there are are two versions of the policy. The stuff we tell everyone and then the stuff we will do for people that complain about the original stuff. It doesn't behoove anyone to be nice at my store, because then they actually have to pay for stuff.

Comment

Irv, did they actually spend an additional $400, or did they use the gift card?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Irv, did they actually spend an additional $400, or did they use the gift card?
                    Don't know. She just said they spent $400.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Here's what's going to happen. Your company will sell that furniture for cheap to get rid of it. The people who buy it will all bring 2-door compact vehicles to pick them up.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        Here's what's going to happen. Your company will sell that furniture for cheap to get rid of it. The people who buy it will all bring 2-door compact vehicles to pick them up.
                        Bonus points if it's a smart car.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Bonus points if it's a smart car.
                          How can it be a Smart car if it lets dumb people drive it?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            How can it be a Smart car if it lets dumb people drive it?
                            Artificial Intelligence has nothing on Natural Stupidity.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                              When did it become the expected default that a shop must take something back just because the buyer decides they don't want it?
                              When the sucky customer insisted that that's the way it's going to be, silly ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X