This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarettes Are Apparently Too Difficult for SCs to Handle

Why is it that so many SCs are incapable of making up their minds? Especially when it comes to cigarettes?

Many times the SCs will tell me what brand and type they want and then proceed to change their minds after I've already rung up the sale.

Here's a sample of it:

Me: The fabulous Miss Maple Leaf
    SC: Person with his brain shut off

SC: I'll take [brand name] regulars.
    Me: Okay. *Rings up the sale*

*SC then proceeds to leave the store and comes back a few minutes later*

SC: Could I get [same brand name] lights instead?
    ME: Sure. *does the exchange and leaves a note for the manager*

(the reason for the note is so D can change the inventory in the computer when she's in the next day so that our cigarette count won't be off)

Sometimes the SCs don't even leave the store before they come back to the counter wanting a switch, which is a bit more annoying, but not as bad as the SCs who don't even leave the counter before asking for a switch.
    I'll have literally just finished the transaction when they ask for a different type of the same brand.

SC: *After putting change away but before moving from the counter* Wait, could I get the Lights (or Extra Lights, or whatever) instead?
    Me: Sure, I'll change them for you. (thinking: Next time make up your mind before you buy your smokes, pal.)

What's the worst though is when they ask for an entirely different brand and that new brand happens to be a different price. When that happens, not only do I have to leave that note for D but I have to either give the SC money from the till (if the new ones are cheaper) or collect more money from the SC (if it costs more) and then figure out the differences of both the cigarette prices and taxes and work the totals into my paperwork at the end of my shift.

Now, it's easy to do, so that's not the problem. I just don't like having to do it at all because the SC couldn't be bothered to name the right kind of cigarettes in the first place.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

I sometimes get the customers who don't know king size (regulars) from 100's. They ask for kings, and when I reach for them, they are like no, the longer ones. I tell them that those are 100's and they disagree until I show them the package. Sometimes it's the same customers that do this do me every few days.
    "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

When it comes to the 100's I'm lucky in the sense that only a couple of the brands we carry actually offer them, so I don't get asked for them all that often. Plus, when customers come in and ask for the 100's they know that those cigarettes are indeed what they want and never switch them for something else.

With the Regular sized and King sized cigarettes though, I practically need psychic powers to determine what the SCs want, because they sure as heck don't know.

Comment

Former smoker here, and I NEVER got my preferred brand wrong... WTF is up with that?
        I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
        "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
          Former smoker here, and I NEVER got my preferred brand wrong... WTF is up with that?
          Yeah, I've never smoked but now that you mention it I was wondering the same thing myself. Every smoker I know sticks to one particular brand and type. How hard is it to remember? Maybe they should keep the label in their wallet, then they can just pull it out and match up the colors...
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-01-2007, 07:35 PM. Reason: question mark?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

As a former C-store employee, I have always referred to this game smokers play as "the game".

M= Me
            SC= duh

Sc= gimme apacko marbo reds
            *I hand SC pack of MarlBORO reds*
            Sc= Naw, I want lights
            *takes back reds, hands over lights*
            Sc= Naw, I wanted LIGHTS 100s!
            *getting frustrated now, hands over lights 100s*
            SC= NAW, I wanted menthols!
            *nearly screams and literally throws pack of cigarettes at stupid SC*

They thought it was funny or something. True smokers know what they want. People buying for others might not know what brand, but don't play the game with me. People who play "the game" know what they want, they just thought it was funny to make me run back and forth.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Back in the day when I did smoke, I always smoked the same thing. Camel Lights. My ex smoked em, my best friend smoked em. It was easy. I went through phases with menthols and had a few backup types/brands, if they were out of my preferred cancer sticks, but I never, even when intoxicated, found it to be that difficult to request what I wanted.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                As a former C-store employee, I have always referred to this game smokers play as "the game".

They thought it was funny or something. True smokers know what they want. People buying for others might not know what brand, but don't play the game with me. People who play "the game" know what they want, they just thought it was funny to make me run back and forth.

That's just fucked up...
                I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

I swear they did it for fun. I thought it was just me, because customers tended to think I was some kind of bobbleheaded moron........but they did it to my manager too and the other employees. Except with my manager, after you changed your mind once, that was the last time. She would throw cigarettes at people once it got past option 2...she didn't have time for BS and games like that.

Comment

Two words, "Restocking Fee."
                    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      I swear they did it for fun. I thought it was just me, because customers tended to think I was some kind of bobbleheaded moron........but they did it to my manager too and the other employees. Except with my manager, after you changed your mind once, that was the last time. She would throw cigarettes at people once it got past option 2...she didn't have time for BS and games like that.
                      I don't blame her. So would I

Comment

Once I saw that it was alright for her to throw them, then I realized it was ok for me to do it too hahahaha

Except before that, I used to sigh heavily or roll my eyes. Sucky employee.....maybe.....but if you're coming in to my store and wasting my time just to jingle my chains, you have it coming.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          Except before that, I used to sigh heavily or roll my eyes. Sucky employee.....maybe.....but if you're coming in to my store and wasting my time just to jingle my chains, you have it coming.
                          If they're making a reasonable request and you sigh and roll your eyes, then yes, sucky employee. When they're just jerking you around...hey, do you sell any heavy, metal lighters you could throw at them along with the cigs?

Comment

My daddy was a pack and a half a day smoker. He used to go to the same c-store every other day on his way home and get three packs of the exact same brand (cause three packs were an even dollar amount). He went the same time each day he went.

Apparently the guy behind the counter learned his car and his hat (Daddy always wore this great cowboy hat he got in Nashville). So it didn't matter how many people were in line, when Daddy got in the store, the cigarettes were right there on the edge of the counter. Daddy would hand over his money and be out of the store in like a minute.

That guy was neat. Daddy always gave him a 20 or something around Christmas time and, even when their cigs were a little more expensive, never stopped going to that specific store.

(Don't get me wrong -- I HATED my Daddy smoking, but that cashier was a cool guy)
                            "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              Maybe they should keep the label in their wallet, then they can just pull it out and match up the colors...
                              Some of my customers actually do that. It makes things easier for me because there's no guesswork involved. If they can't quite remember the name then showing me the pack is good enough because I'll recognize it and give them the right kind.

to reformedwaitress: I do that for some of the regulars too. If I know what they usually get and I see them before they enter the store, I'll have their pack ready by the time they reach the counter. I love the surprised and pleased look they get on their faces when I just reach under the counter and bring up their brands before they even open their mouths.

Comment

Working...
                              X