This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captive audience

It's now 5:30 PM for me and this one guy has been hanging around the store talking to me, chatting me up since 4 PM. Maybe 4:15. Regardless. I can't leave the register area while he's here! I have work to do!

At this exact moment, while a set of actual customers are writing in their card, he's browsing baby stuff. Dang, he's back!

Edit: 5:50 PM, still here.

Add'l edit: Finally, after over 2 hours in my shop, security asked him to leave.

Third edit: Just as I started to type the above, he came in and said he'd been racially profiled against by the security guard. Thing is, they're both hispanic...
    Last edited by FenigDurak; 03-01-2007, 12:23 AM.

Ok, so now that he doesn't seem to be coming back, I can give further details.

I work alone at night in the gift shop. He came in around 3:30 and bought an energy drink. Half and hour later, he came back. Younger guy, about my age (mid twenties). At first he just asked if I was a student, then after a while he ventured into more personal questions like what I do in my free time, if I party, if I'm into ink and piercings, etc. The stuff that pertains to my job, I had to give him. My name, my extension (to the shop), what the hours were, etc. At the hour mark, when he hadn't gone, I went into the office (left the door open) to call security. Well, I had barely dialed when the two regular guards came in as they do a few times in my shift. I told them I had a question for them, and fortunately the guy got a call on his cell and walk out of ear shot for a while. Even went so far as to leave for a few minutes.

When he came back, he asked if he had gotten me in trouble. I'm trying very hard to be polite since I work alone and at any given time security is at least 30 seconds away. I reply no, but I needed to get back to work. Well, he thought this meant I was going to work while he browsed. Uhm, no. I don't restock when there are guests in the shop since I have to go out of sight to get backstock. Anyway, another hour goes by and security swings by again. He's still here. So that's when the younger of the two guards (and eager to make Sergeant) approaches him and asks what his business in the hospital is. Then takes the guy out to get all the information on the patient he's visiting.

After they leave again, he comes back and asks what the younger guard's name is so that he can file a complaint for "racial profiling." After he leaves for the last time, I call security to warn them. These guys are my friends and look out for me, so I gotta at least give them a heads up! The supervisor is going to come see me tomorrow to take my statement since there is now going to be a report.

Hooray. My first "issue" at my new job. And it wasn't even scary, just worrisome.

Comment

Racial profiling huh? I prefer the term for this dolt to be "creep" profiling. Great that your security squad is readily available and that they are willing to help you. Keep us updated.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I'd say you have an admirer. A really creepy one.

Comment

RK, I think you're right. I came in today as usual and the opening woman told me he stopped in this morning looking for me. He asked her when I came in and she told him! It wasn't until after my boss told her that I was being pestered yesterday. So she apologized.

I also think whoever he was visiting here was discharged, so I hope he doesn't come back.

The worst part is that during my interview/hiring process, the owner made a little comment that the male staff in the hospital might come in a bit more frequently when I'm working. That's fine with me, as long as they buy things.

Comment

Get a girlfriend who happens to be a mulleted member of Dykes on Bikes.

No more problem.

Edit: The Dykes on Bikes rock. (Please don't beat me up).
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Update:

I haven't seen this particular guy in two days, however I've been informed by security that he is still in the hospital. He came by yesterday morning and asked when I'd be in (as I've posted above) and was given said information. Though I haven't seen him myself, I've heard odd noises outside the shop doors and the door chime has gone off when I've been in back but no one is there when I come up front to greet them.

What I found when I came home tonight was an email titled "st luke gift shop, im the fat kid lol." Grammatical errors left in tact. Upon reading the email, seems the guy over heard me telling the cool and fellow geek security guard about the charity group I belong to, he went to the website, found my member listing which has my email, and has emailed me. It's now beyond creepy and has ventured into stalking. Despite the fact that he said in the email that I could ignore him and he'd go away, I somehow don't believe this is the last time I'll be hearing from "the fat kid."

I'm thinking about changing all of my online monikers since he's already found one of them.

Comment

El Creepo.

You could call the local PD non emergency number and ask to talk to an officer about these circumstances. At the least, the cop has a record of your convo in case something more serious happens, at the most, stalking citation if your state has them.

I've had that happen, weird noises at the door, footprints and tire tracks in the mud in my driveway that don't belong, leaving weird "presents" outside the door for me to find (one was an empty beer bottle, he just wanted me to know he'd been there), leaving the toilet seat in the porta potty up (we were remodeling at the time), calls telling me how nice my rack was at 2am, being tracked on the internet, noises around the house in the dead of night. Yes, this guy knew where I lived.

Once he actively tried to really break in when I was standing the living room with a shot gun. I called the sheriff because, even though I know I could shoot someone in order to protect myself and my kids, I don't want my kids to go through or see that. A friend listens to the scanner and came over and chased the guy off. The cops? You could hear them laughing over the scanner about the "stupid crazy broad". I no longer call the police.

I started sleeping on the couch with a gun. It eventually took some male friends of mine chasing him with a shotgun and a baseball bat for him to stop coming around. After 6 months I could finally go back to sleeping in my own bed.
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

This is getting serious, whatever you do the first thing you should do is to get a new e-mail and ask the website admin to unlist it for you and DO NOT be afraid to give your reasons. As for your idea to change web monikers, do it. Talk to your supervisor and ask if he/she can stop giving out your info as to when you'll be in, change shifts for a while if you have to. Document every occurance of his visits. If it gets serious talk to security and escalate it to the police if you have to.

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                  Despite the fact that he said in the email that I could ignore him and he'd go away, I somehow don't believe this is the last time I'll be hearing from "the fat kid."
                  He only said that so he could come off as "Hey, I'm not a stalker and I know when to give up." but in reality he isn't going to give up. Those types of guys will never take a hint and could be getting bit in the ass by a rabid pit bull addicted to drugs and STILL won't take a hint.
                  Last edited by ArenaBoy; 03-03-2007, 05:19 AM. Reason: Because I forget things at times.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Ok, I've called the police non-emergency line and have the number for the Crimes Against a Person department. I've been advised to call them on Monday and to go from there. I don't work all weekend, so I don't have to worry about anyone showing up there, but 911 is just a button away should my email address turn into my actual address.

Comment

The title of this thread sums it up perfectly. These people do NOT understand that we are paid to be polite and talk to them. They tend to think it's real friendship or more.

We are paid to be their "captive audience". Of course, there comes a point where I no longer care how much money they spend- if they are endangering an employee in any way then, guess what? I can always get a new customer.

Get the *F* out.
                      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                      HellGate: London

Comment

It is annoying, isn't it? I realize some people are lonely or are going through tough times or divorces............or some people are just plain weird and like to stalk people...........either way, I don't want someone coming in everyday and bothering me and wanting to know my personal info or my schedule. That puts up a big redflag.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

On the schedule issue- simply talk to your mangers and co-workers and let them know that they should not give up any information about you to anyone right now. They need to know what's going on anyway.
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

If you need your name changed here, let us know. If he comes onto here, let us know.

We have ways of dealing with things like that.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X