This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Twist on Can't and Won't

I know we all have SCs who insist we do something we can't do. They keep pushing and insisting that we can do what they want, but just won't.

Sam, the chief of software development at our company told me a tale from a few years back. Sam is also an officer of the company. When the big bosses are out of town, he acts as the owner.

Back when this happened there were about eight employees all but Carl (who has always worked from home) working in one room. Carl in tech support had been trying to help a customer whose brand new hardware was not compatible with an ancient version of our software. Carl is very persistent in trying to find workarounds which will save customers money. He tried every which way to make it work, but it became apparent that the only "fix" was buying an upgrade to our software.

The SC went ballistic. He expected better of us. We needed to do something. Eventually he demanded to speak to "the owner."

So Carl transferred him to the office where Sam took over. The customer immediately asked if Sam was "the owner." Sam told him that the owner was not there, but he was in charge.

The SC tried to make Sam put him in touch with the owner and kept on about it. Sam is very calm and very unyielding. He kept patiently spelling out the choices were to talk with him now or wait two week to talk with the owner.

It sunk in and the SC demanded that Sam help him by giving him "a solution." Sam explained that the solution was to purchase the upgrade or the SC could continue using his old version on his old equipment.

The SC came back with, "So you're saying that's all you can do for me."

Sam replied, "No. I'm not saying that at all. Actually, I CAN give you the upgrade for free. Furthermore, I CAN give you free upgrades for life. Heck, I CAN provide you with our entire source code.

"But I WON'T."
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Sam's my new hero, that is awesome and right now I am picturing a look of shock and what just happened on the SC. I have a new way to deal with my SCs now.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

One word: Nice.
      Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

That was beautiful. My customers always think I can manipulate the system any way I want and give them free phones and unlimited minutes for $10 a month, when the system sets the prices on everything and it's beyond anyone's control. Oh, but then they reason that I can "credit" them the difference. When I tell them that ain't happening either, they get nasty.

"Oh, it's not that you can't do it, it's that you won't do it."

Yeah, sure, ok, it's within my physical limitations to type up a credit. But, all credits must be approved by a supervisor. And I'm sure anyone in their right mind would be more than happy to give you a $200 credit because of what an outstanding person you are. Oh by the way, your account is past due (again). But let me just go ask.

And.... that would be a big negatory on that, chief. But thanks for playing.
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

*stands up and cheers *

Marvellous! Brilliant! Two thumbs up!
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
            Yeah, sure, ok, it's within my physical limitations to type up a credit. But, all credits must be approved by a supervisor.
            I can technically do something like that at my job--I have the knowledge to change prices on an item to whatever I feel like. So I could technically sell you a new transmission for $10--even though it's worth more like $3000. However, I would then be out of work, and probably facing charges for fraud. Not gonna happen!!
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
              Oooh! I had one of those. [a quick, slightly OT post here]

This happened at a very well-known pizza place I used to work at. Lady calls to make an order, but she lives at one address and wants to the pizza delivered to another address. She also wants to pay for the pizza with her credit card. Well, we do accept charge cards over the phone, no problem, but the card holder must be present at the delivery to sign the receipt and to get an imprint of the card. I explained this to her and, for some illogical reason, it didn't sink in. After explaining the whole system and store policy spiel to her, she came back at me with:

Right . . .
              Last edited by karma_gypsy; 03-05-2007, 11:00 PM. Reason: spellin'
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I work with chicken all day and try and tell some customers they can only have so many pieces with certain orders and they'll go ballistic on you. Or tell them that there isn't a specific type available at that time and it's like you're supposed to shoot it out your a** just so they have it. I guess we just wave our magic wands and the food magically appears nowadays. Nobody does it the old fashioned way like cooking......

Comment

Mmm... ass-shot chicken!
                  Wow, that just makes my mouth water...
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I'll have to use that one of these days. I'm always tempted to let my customers know that yes, technically, I can do that, but under peign of losing my job, I'm not gonna.

Usually the key in the can't/won't equation is what will happen if I do? Because, for me, getting written up/reprimanded/fired isn't worth making you happy.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                    X