X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I should stop being polite

Well it happened again.
    Remember that thread about the priest who was so offended when I asking him how he was doing?
    Well yesterday I greeted another older man with a friendly hello.
    He said 'And how are you today?'
    Me 'Oh I'm well sir, and you?'
    Him 'Well, I'm NOT GOING TO TELL YOU!!!'
    And then he sticks out his tongue at me!!
    Him 'So what do you say to THAT!??'
    Me 'Honestly sir, I no longer care how YOU are.'
    And I turn away to greet the next person and pointedly ask how they are. That person responded politely at least.
    I should just stop talking to people.

Please tell me he was trying to be funny...

(emphasis on the word trying)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I always got people who were mad at me for being in a good mood. The reality was I really never was in a good mood since I was working with the public, but I fake well. So apparently a dour face is appreciated? I save for my dour face for extreme suckiness, and if me being in a good pisses you off more, well, *grins broadly* Have a nice day!
      Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

"I say I can take a pretty good guess."

Wow . . . there are some WEIRD people out there.

How did the "I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU" guy react?
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth ominousoat View Post
          I always got people who were mad at me for being in a good mood. The reality was I really never was in a good mood since I was working with the public, but I fake well. So apparently a dour face is appreciated? I save for my dour face for extreme suckiness, and if me being in a good pisses you off more, well, *grins broadly* Have a nice day!
          I should trade you for all the guys (cuz it's always guys) who would tell me to smile if I wasn't all day long.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            I should trade you for all the guys (cuz it's always guys) who would tell me to smile if I wasn't all day long.
            That's society, females must always be happy, smiley, and sunny, and here to cheery up all of us menfolk.

Men must be serious, reclusive, and in dire need of cheering up by the perpetualy cheery females.
            Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

Sorry, oat, I don't do cheer.

(*maniacal laughter*)

Comment

You seem to be forgetting about how if we're not perpetually cheery, we're a bitch.
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

You seem to be forgetting about how if we're not perpetually cheery, we're a bitch.
                  or hormonal.

i don't do cheerleading, fluff compliments (if you get one from me, it's the real deal) or any other things that most customers expect. it's just not in my nature, and with me, what you see is what you get.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Whenever I work an overnight shift, once the morning commute customers start coming through someone will ask me how/why I can get up so early in the morning and be that cheerful. I tell them the truth: I didn't have to get up early because I've been here all night, and sound cheerful from drinking too much Dr Pepper
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I stopped being polite a long time ago!
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Me personally, my smile scares people. I must've inherited it from a Bowman's wolf or something. I'm constantly up while at work, and THAT scares people. I'll sing along to music I hear if I know the words, even if I hate the song. I've been trained to do it, apparently. Voice practice/range increasing. THAT scares people. (Heck, I used to scare the Awesome AM at Chesterfield by knowing the entire script for Nightmare before Christmas, and he knew that as soon as he opened a copy for store play just before Thanksgiving, he'd be able to find me in the store just by playing the movie. What was lots of fun, he'd see me walking toward him at the counter, and tell the customer he was helping, "S/he knows all the words to this movie." And would then, for the umpteenth time, ask me "How?" ... "I used to sit in my room watching it with the subtitles on, so I could learn the words. Just about the same way I learn all the songs I really like. I listen to them over, and over, and over, until I can sing them without the song playing as well.")
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          Please tell me he was trying to be funny...

(emphasis on the word trying)
                          Some old geezers say stupid or hurtful things, thinking they're being funny. I don't understand it either, but here's an older thread on that phenomenon: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=1330

He's a putz. Hopefully you won't have to see him again.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                          X