This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I work for the press!

Mmmm, call center troubleshooting. I had the joy of dealing with a woman claiming to be a reporter. I could believe it, because if she said more than three sentances... she would wax dramatic. She spoke like a writer badly in search of an editor.

The problem was the kind I love to troubleshoot. Her phone's e-mail wasn't working. Well, we had 2 types of addresses. One was for pictures and one was based on text messaging. The first was covered by a picture messaging plan, the other was its own $1.95 feature. It only took about 12 minutes to fully diagnose the problem. I sent a test message to each address, and only the picture one went through.

It wouldn't have taken quite this long, but... she did tend to rant... veered through discussions about the phone's camera. Needs a flash, but that wears out pretty quick. Also the cheapest cameraphone on the planet. I know, I bought one to learn how it worked, not because I planned on using it directly for a job. Especially photojournalism.

The problem wasn't on her end. Her phone was working fine. So was the network. The trouble was, when the picture messaging was set up, the system had enabled the text e-mail. She gave that out as a contact for work. Didn't really want to go through all the hassle of telling her employer to change "email" to "mms" in her address.

I was expected to "make it work" the way it had when she'd signed up for it. Unlike some ranters, she would come up for breath after a few paragraphs worth. Slow conversation, but gave me loads of time to think.

A few highly relavent details... she had, at no time, actually paid to use the address that she wanted to have working. It wasn't in the contract. I wasn't really under an obligation to restore a function that had been working unbilled for her for... turned out to be a year.

On her end, she had no reason to expect this service to fail. And the system never generates any sort of returned mail message, so it looked to her employer as though she wasn't responding. 35 min on the call...

No, there's no way to enable this without the $1.95 monthly fee. I end up issuing this customer a $25 goodwill credit and applying the feature.

She's not satisfied. She paid us for what she thought included this for about a year. And if she doesn't get her way, why, she'll do a feature on us! Because the public loves hearing about e-mail addresses changing by 5 characters. And her husband's got a chronic illness, he's in the hospital, that's where she's calling from.

Finally, she pauses after saying something useful. "It's the principle of the thing."

"Madam. What principle is this? The credit I've issued covers the feature for the next twelve and a half months. That takes you just past the contract you're claiming this feature should be part of. It'll be a year before we see a dime from this. How, exactly, are we cheating you?"

"Um. So the balance... that's now $xxx.xx? Um. I can pay yy, and then I guess you'll have to get me over to financial to arrange the rest." Ah. This is why I'm worth talking to for... 50 minutes. Great. You're really making me feel teriffic about caving on this. And she had to have been through financial before... she was using the company's phrasings. Ahh, to bend the rules for a "good" customer.
    There is no .sig that still seems clever 50 posts later.

So you extended the freebie she wasn't even entitled to in the first place, and she still bitched?

She's lucky your company didn't try to retroactively bill her for the service she had been getting for free.

Some people.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth DannyboyO1 View Post
      Also the cheapest cameraphone on the planet. I know, I bought one to learn how it worked, not because I planned on using it directly for a job. Especially photojournalism.
      Please, please, please tell me you are kidding. My photographic hobby has cost me more in equipment than my car is worth but this journalist is using a low-end cheap camera phone?

Comment

"And her husband's got a chronic illness, he's in the hospital, that's where she's calling from."

Isn't it like... illegal to use cell phones in hospitals?
        I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
        less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
          Isn't it like... illegal to use cell phones in hospitals?
          Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't know about illegal, but at most, if not all hospitals, they will yell at you for it.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't know about illegal, but at most, if not all hospitals, they will yell at you for it.
            It depends mostly on the hospital. One of the local hospitals here will allow them, unless it's the ER. That's the one place where you can't use them. Beyond that, they are permitted.
            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Funny, we have about twenty reporters and three photographers. Only ONE of the reporters also knows how to use a camera (i.e., can point it to within five feet of a fiery explosion and not make it look like an orange blur). It's actually a bit of a rarity (at least as far as I've seen, having dealt with a few different papers) for a reporter to also be a photographer, since most reporters didn't take photography classes when they gained their journalism degree, and most photographers didn't take most of the journalism classes to get their photography degree. (Journalism and Photojournalism are NOT the same thing.)
              "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

She probably does little articles for the local, free, shoppers' news.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  She probably does little articles for the local, free, shoppers' news.
                  Nah. I bet you she's just THAT involved in her blog--you just talked to somebody how aspires to become the next Perez Hilton. Whoop-de-do...
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

We had someone complain that her Iris (flowers - not part of eyes) didn't open, and that the Boss's reaction was really not sufficient. (Actually, he pretty much told her to get stuffed, since it had been six weeks since she had claimed to have bought them...)

Apparently she was a reporter and was going to do a major features on what cheats we were. We never saw anything in the fishwrap she claimed to write for.

The Boss, however, revelled for a few days in his newest title of "Rudest Man in the Country".

Rapscallion

Comment

Come to think, she may have just been near the hospital. But I'm quite serious about the cameraphone. She described in detail how much trouble it was to get the flash attachment in the top port. And how swiftly she had to go through flashes on the darned thing. Seemed when the phone got replaced by a model with an LED flash, she picked up a year's supply on clearance.

That bears repeating. She bought multiple flash accessories for the phone that she wasn't willing to pay $1.95 to get e-mail on. Which would do Audiovox's bottom line more than ours. Actually, since it was a store's, that would have been the store's benefit.

And just to think, with a little bit more math skill, she might have figured out the cost to buy a real camera.
                      There is no .sig that still seems clever 50 posts later.

Comment

What? That costs... at least... $699! (or however much a D40 is over there, I paid AU$1000)

I would have retrospectivley billled her then accidentally disconnected.
                        I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Working...
                        X