This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted a scammer ring :D

So as I've mentioned before, I work a LOT for a little industry that's typically rife with scammers and whatnot. Obviously, its in my best interest to keep a weather eye out for these folk, because a scammed client is a broke client, and therefore not a client.

Well, recently I joined up with a hacker/blackhat-friendly forum to keep an eye out there, because it's most typically the place where people selling pirated copies of my stuff originate. Thankfully, my presence there has let them realize I'm generally a super nice and cool person, so the pirating has dropped drastically. Literally, several of the bigger pirates have stepped forward and apologized to me for their actions, explaining that they hadn't really considered how much they were hurting another person.

So anyways, as I'm browsing new threads on the forum, I notice that someone has posted up a thread detailing all the exploits and cheats that you could use on a bunch of websites. Websites belonging to that industry I mentioned earlier. AKA, my clients.

Not only does it explain cheats, but they also oh-so-handily listed a set of stolen virtual credit card numbers they obtained.

Oh, fun time now!

I took the link and promptly posted it to an announcement to all the clients I have contacts with, and also copied over several bits that in all likelyhood, will be edited out as soon as the dude realizes the jig is up.

Oh, but it gets BETTER.

Upon watching the thread, post after post appeared with people excitedly claiming how they were using it now, and thanking the OP. Almost every single one of these people posted their own referral links to various websites.

That's right. Referral links that track down to their specific account.

AKA, they are now in the crosshairs of some very angry site owners, LMAO.

To put extra frosting on the cake, the original guide writer posted HIS referral link, stating he wanted people to sign up under him so he could "make money off the guide".

Yeah well, hope he enjoys the fact I forwarded his little thread to the site owners, and helpfully noted that as he's posting stolen CC numbers, it might behoove them to file a report with the FBI as well.

Not the most epic scammer ring I've busted, but definitely oh-so-satisfying. Stupid, stupid scammers.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Yay! Go yu!
    Congratz on the war story btw!
    Go for the eyes!

Comment

hehe, thank you.

Comment

Seraph, you continue to dish up epic amounts of WIN(tm).

Good on ya!
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Awesome! Just one more reason not to piss off the Seraph (as if we needed one).

It's so nice to see these idiots get what's coming to them.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

so... wait what?...

The stupid is strong in this one. As well as the karma!

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              It's so nice to see these idiots get what's coming to them.
              Indeed it is. And it's funny, if they turned their talents towards making money honestly, they'd probably make more than they are by trying to "beat the system".
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The dumb hurt my brain...
                They goggles, they do nothing!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Indeed it is. And it's funny, if they turned their talents towards making money honestly, they'd probably make more than they are by trying to "beat the system".
                  So true, and they wouldn't be completely screwed when it eventually backfires on them.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

Upon watching the thread, post after post appeared with people excitedly claiming how they were using it now, and thanking the OP. Almost every single one of these people posted their own referral links to various websites.

That's right. Referral links that track down to their specific account.

AKA, they are now in the crosshairs of some very angry site owners, LMAO.

To put extra frosting on the cake, the original guide writer posted HIS referral link, stating he wanted people to sign up under him so he could "make money off the guide".
                    Windmills do not work that way! Good night!

Comment

Wow. Just....wow. I hate scammers. I hope they get nailed by the FBI.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Stealing CC numbers!! Wow that is bad news, great that you put a stop to it Seraph! I hope the FBI catches up with that total douche.

Comment

Wow, I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but you TEH AWESOME!
                          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                          What's the difference?
                          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Did you get screenshots in the event they wise up?
                            "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Yeppers, sure did. ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X