This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special SSN o_O

We had a new cashier training at the service desk today, and just his luck, he gets the weirdest customer ever just as he is supposed to go home.

This guy in his early 20's comes up to get his check cashed. He has his ID and all is well, that is until he has to enter his Social Security number into the pinpad machine. I am not sure what happened at this point, but apparently he tried to enter his SSN and it didn't work. The cashier was staying very calm and trying to figure out the problem, when the customer starts to yell at him, and I come over to help the poor cashier. The conversation goes about as follows:

Customer: I know I am right, my Social Security number is 123-45-67.
    Cashier: Sir, I am sorry, but your SSN has 9 digits in it.
    Me: *nods*
    Customer: 123...45...67!
    Cashier: You are still missing two digits.
    Customer: Don't tell me that! It's only 7!
    Cashier: Please sir, maybe if you calm down and think for a moment you'll remember the last two.
    Customer: I should know what my SSN is. You mean to tell me I have been walking around for 23 years and don't know my own SSN?
    Cashier: I am not saying that sir, I am just trying to help you.

The poor cashier even tried to show the customer on the pinpad that 7 digits shows up as "too short". Meanwhile, I signaled a manager over to help. The manager tries to get the man to calm down, while the customer rants about how we are being mean and refusing to help him for no reason. He finally calls his girlfriend, complains about how we are refusing to help him, and then storms out. We all get a good chuckle and the poor (though very patient) cashier gets to go home.

TWO HOURS LATER...
    The guy comes back, drunk(er?) and with his girlfriend. He storms up to the counter (luckily not to my register), and starts slamming papers onto the counter.

Customer: HERE'S MY SS CARD! HERE'S MY ID! HERE'S MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE. CAN YOU CASH MY CHECK NOW??!!
    Cashier: Well, now that you have your SSN (which of course had 9 digits lol), we'd be glad to help you.
    Customer: You had better.

Lo and behold, the register rejects the check and spits it back out. We don't know why it spits it out, we just get a printout with a number the customer can call. Sometimes it is an issue with a customer, sometimes it is with whoever issued their paycheck. At any rate, no money for drunk 7 digit SSN man.

He rants about how we refused him for no reason, girlfriend chimes in about how he has cashed there before, and how dare they refuse him. Manager comes over again, tells customer the same thing we told him, and even though he interrupted her several times, she finally managed to tell him there was nothing we could do. He left swearing and ranting about how he wanted to punch people.

*more giggling and chuckling* People are strange!

And here I was about to suggest perhaps he was old enough to have gotten in line for SSNs when they were only 7 digits long. Stupid population boom, world needed more digits... then I reread the intro to the post. He's only 20? Nah, he be drunk, captain. Three sheets to the wind. 'Ar.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      Nah, he be drunk, captain. Three sheets to the wind. 'Ar.
      But why is the Rum gone???
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
        But why is the Rum gone???
        Because the asshat in the OP drank it all.
        "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
        -FSTDT

Comment

If I was a manager and saw one of my good employees being yelled at, the first thing I'd do when I come up is

(a) Find out what the situation is and
          (b) Tell my good employee to go somewhere else while I dealt with the asshat.

I wouldn't make them stick around to endure further yelling from a fool.
          Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Working...
          X