This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What an odd kid

Backstory: I'm a pizza cook in a high end grocery store. My station is directly in front of one of the entrances, so I'm pretty much center stage to anybody walking in that door. We also use a real stone hearth for cooking - open flame and everything.

So a couple of kids, probably about 7, walked up while I was cooking "blanks" - the dough we use for our take-and-bake pizzas - I do this around 8-9 pm so the morning shift has plenty. They started asking me a lot of the typical questions that I get from kids while working - how hot is it (over 600F), can you toss the pizza in the air (yes I can, and I demonstrated several times, nearly losing one of them to a fire sprinkler), and finally...

Kid: What would happen if you put a kitten in the oven?
    Me: That wouldn't be a good idea. You should never put a pet near an oven.
    Kid: How about a child?
    Me: It would hurt. A lot.

Kid then wandered off to our concierge/personal shopper and asked the same questions. This particular concierge is a really nice guy, but he also has quite the evil streak and apparently mentioned something about roasted children to them (I overheard the conversation and almost fell over laughing)
    Last edited by bean; 03-09-2007, 07:05 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Fairy tales

Oh if only we could go back to the days were all children were told hansel and Grettel...
    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Cesii View Post
      Oh if only we could go back to the days were all children were told hansel and Grettel...
      The real version, not the 'edited for kiddies' versions you see now. I've got a collection of direct traslations of Grimm's Fairy Tales, and some of them will make your hair stand up even as a grown up.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I meant those

Yes, I was talking about those. The original of little red riding hood will bring you out in a flush!
        ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
        Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          Kid: What would happen if you put a kitten in the oven?
          Me: That wouldn't be a good idea. You should never put a pet near an oven.
          Kid: How about a child?
          Me: It would hurt. A lot.
          I used to read a lot of sleazy true crime books and I learned enough to know that this kid should be watched.
          Carefully.
          ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            The real version, not the 'edited for kiddies' versions you see now. I've got a collection of direct traslations of Grimm's Fairy Tales, and some of them will make your hair stand up even as a grown up.
            And where would an interested person be able to aquire her own copy of said work?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, a fun read along those lines is the Big Book Of Grimm. It's a big graphic novel type thing, fairy tales condensed down into 2 to 4 page comic spreads. It's delightfully ghastly.

Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Grimm...3463068&sr=8-1

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                Well, a fun read along those lines is the Big Book Of Grimm. It's a big graphic novel type thing, fairy tales condensed down into 2 to 4 page comic spreads. It's delightfully ghastly.
                I have all of the Factoid Big Books. Love 'em.
                He loves the world...except for all the people.
                --Men at Work

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the orignal Grimm's fairy tales include "The Little Matchstick Girl?"

Talk about stories you probably shouldn't be told as a child! I just remember going to bed feeling AWFUL about the world when I heard that one.
                  "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

Comment

I think my favorite as far as pure, grisly pathos goes is the one where the evil mother in law imprisons her daughter (the queen) and her two grandsons in the dungeon while the king is away and then orders the cook to kill and prepare each of her unfortunate captives for supper for her each night.

Gross! Thanks to the wily Queen, everyone survives but the mum in law.

Anyou you thought YOURS was bad!

Comment

Ahh yes the lovely and wonderful Grimm's Fairy tales. Talk about dysfunctional families and people....

Reading the Grimm Version of some of the tales after watching the Disney-fied versions can cause some massive headaches as your mind tries to sort the sugar and sweet from the bitter and dark.

Becky: I wound up picking a copy up in the used book store in Yellow Springs. I'm sure there should be some elsewhere.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        And where would an interested person be able to aquire her own copy of said work?
                        At Fifth Avenue Books in Hillcrest*, California or Project Gutenberg.

* Hillcrest is really just a neighborhood in San Diego but so is La Jolla.
                        Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

The Grimm brothers watered down the stories. The originals were much more horrific.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                          X