This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first time a customer shocked me

Okay. I'm just posting this here because this guy...I don't even know how to describe him. Just read it.

So this guy and his wife and their kids come through my line last week. (I only work weekends now because of my school schedule (late labs Monday through Thursday)...and I get a bunch of days off after today! (I took off time for my spring break...I digress...just wanted to brag j/k).

So they have 2-3 carts, and I don't mind about that. It's kinda fun to have a lot of stuff to do...I also don't mind tax exempt sales, where they have anywhere from 2-5 carts. Anyways...I'll move on.

So after the first cart, the kids are kinda screwing around, like kids do...looking at stuff mainly. They weren't asking for any treats or anything.

Out of the blue this guy ordered his kids to stand "over there" (meaning by the milk coolers) and to not move. His exact words:

"Go over there and do not move. If you move, this poor girl is going to have to call the cops on me for child abuse."

The frickin' loser was threatening beating his kids in the store! They weren't even doing anyting wrong/bad!

It took me by surprise...I kept ringing things up, but was VERY uncomfortable.

His reason for his actions: "I'm very tired, I just want to go home."

Just because you're tired and probably seeing things, doesn't mean that you have to threaten your kids about beating them.

I was tempted to call someone and get involved, but figure it was the best thing to do if I didn't. I wouldn't even know what to do anyway. My parents agreed with me on that. I would only get involved I think if he actually DID beat them in the store...but just a threat, I let go.

I think he was one of those types of parents that subconciously act like that and scream at their kids to "prove" to other people how good of parents they are because they can scare their kids half to death.
    "I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"

Damn
    Being able to threaten them into line shouldn't be necessary. My parents just had to give me >the look<, and I instantly knew to knock off whatever I was doing.
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Yeah, there's not much you can do in that situation. He hasn't done anything, and he could say he was just joking around if you did try to get someone else involved.

And I used to love doing the big huge school orders, too. They're kinda fun to ring and usually not SCs so I get a "break" of sorts. We had one woman come in a few times a year buying a ton of stuff for the library. I'd have volunteered to take her anyway, though as Head Cashier it fell to me whether I liked it or not.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
      X