This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
    Mangled French ends up in a lot of swearing and namecalling, none of it from me.

I learned most of my French in a university environment, and polished it up with a government-sponsored immersion program, so its no surprise that I never mastered any decent French curse words.
    I have to imagine that listening to someone attempt to swear in a language they don't know very well is TRES hilarious.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

I learned most of my French in a university environment, and polished it up with a government-sponsored immersion program, so its no surprise that I never mastered any decent French curse words.
      I have to imagine that listening to someone attempt to swear in a language they don't know very well is TRES hilarious.
      Well, here's my favorite one, I might get censored for it, but it's so cute to see an old frustrated man shout "Tabuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullnak" thinking he's scaring lil tiny me with his big words.
      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I can speak two languages, English and German. My German is getting rusty, but I can probably hold a short conversation. My big problem is native English speakers who refuse to actually speak English.
        "Ah need a new Dibbah-duh."
        M: "Um?"
        "Ah need a new Dibbah Duh!"
        M: "A Dee Vee Dee?"
        "Yah."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I'm so fluent in English and French that I don't have any discernable accent in either language (and even the Government of Canada language testing centre couldn't figure out which language to test me in - so they made me do both ARGH).

When I worked at the Foreign Affairs call centre, I had people scream at me asking for someone who spoke French or English. I'd put them on hold, come back, and speak in the other language. Only one guy caught on that I was the same person, and AGAIN demanded that I find him an English rep... I said "Sir, exactly what IS wrong with my English? Can you not understand my accent, or are the words simply not short enough for you?"

He behaved after that.

What I love is the ones who assume that because you asked them to repeat themselves, you're stupid. It could NEVER be because what they said didn't make any sense or because they were mumbling and you couldn't make it out... never! One guy, I asked him twice to repeat himself (older white guy, speaking ebonics... it was scary - American couple playing tourist in Canada). So the third time, he spoke VERY LOUDLY and VERY SLOWLY. His wife rolls her eyes and says, "Honey, she's not deaf, only stupid."

Okay, well obviously I'm too stupid to help you today, and hey, since I'm the only one working, you might as well just GET THE HELL OUT OF MY STORE! *growl*
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
            What I love is the ones who assume that because you asked them to repeat themselves, you're stupid. It could NEVER be because what they said didn't make any sense or because they were mumbling and you couldn't make it out... never!
            I get this ALL THE TIME. It drives me nuts, because I'm usually asking for a repeat because they were a) mumbling, b) way too quiet, or c) talking so fast no human being could understand the words.

In our call center, we have a few techs that call in who have very "well known" voices or speech impediments. Once you've worked with them a few times, you get used to it, but they're quite a shock the first time you talk to em.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Well, here's my favorite one, I might get censored for it, but it's so cute to see an old frustrated man shout "Tabuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullnak" thinking he's scaring lil tiny me with his big words.
              Oh my goodness, I almost understand the joke, and I don't know French! The only reason I know what you're talking about is because of an Adam Warren "Dirty Pair" graphic novel in which one of the villains is going around talking to himself in French, and I asked some online francophones for a translation of his monologue.

So what does that mean, exactly? (or as exact as you can be without being censored)
              He loves the world...except for all the people.
              --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                What I love is the ones who assume that because you asked them to repeat themselves, you're stupid. It could NEVER be because what they said didn't make any sense or because they were mumbling and you couldn't make it out... never!
                "Yes sir, slower is precisely what I just asked you to do, not LOUDER! I'm deaf in one ear (thanks a ton, Dad...) and there's hundreds of noises in the kitchen behind me. You see me leaning over the counter toward you? I'm trying to get my ear where I can fargin' hear you mumble you want a Big Mac for a Dollar! Speak the DAMN HELL up when I ask you to! Otherwise, you get nothing.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                  So what does that mean, exactly? (or as exact as you can be without being censored)
                  It's basically a dumbed down version of Tabernacle, spelled with an "ak" instead of an "acle". It's a pretty bad swear word, but the original meaning is that lil cabin in church that houses the wafers and the Chalice.

Chalice spelled differently is also a swear word, and so is the french translation of wafers.

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

we get alot of nationalities around my town, some of my favorites is the americans

it's kinda funny seeing the looks as one guy speaks kinda texan'ish american, and the other responds in norwegian, and we hold a conversation like this!

sometimes i'll respond in english, as i really enjoy speaking english, so much cooler sounding than norwegian
                    Rawr

Comment

It's basically a dumbed down version of Tabernacle, spelled with an "ak" instead of an "acle". It's a pretty bad swear word, but the original meaning is that lil cabin in church that houses the wafers and the Chalice.
                      All of the really bad curse words in French are religious.
                      English swear words always refer to sex in some way.
                      And I've been told that in Spanish, its always about implying that someone's mother is less than reputable.
                      Its very interesting from a cultural perspective.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Ju espeeakee espanish?

I *love* the customers who are waiting in a long like when I return from lunch. I say "I'll take the next person over here." The person 4th in line comes running over, four kids in tow. The person second in line comes over just behind (Mod edit) her. She says "I think I was next." The woman who ran to my line responds "I sorry. I no speak english.". To which the other woman says, "Funny...you understood the cashier when she said "Next person, over here". I couldn't help but laugh. Sometimes, evil stares are worth it.
                        Last edited by Ree; 03-16-2007, 10:25 PM. Reason: Removing inflammtory remark

Comment

I get this constantly. Living in South Florida has many perks. However, one of them is NOT the over abundance of non-English speaking latin immigrants.

I'm the whitest guy in my dealership. Seriously. I have light brown hair and blue eyes.

And yet still people come up to me and just starting going off blah blah blah, rakata rakata rakata... the whole time I'm looking at them with that "Yeah, I'm not getting a single word..." look.

I had one guy call here. I answer the phone.

"Que habla espanol?" (No hello, good afternoon, sheesh)
                          "No sir, habla engles?"
                          "You live in Miami, learn spanish!"
                          "You live in America, learn english!"
                          *click*

Some people just can't take getting sh*t shoved back in their face.
                          Last edited by ISellCars; 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Quoth ISellCars View Post

I had one guy call here. I answer the phone.

"Que habla espanol?" (No hello, good afternoon, sheesh)
                            "No sir, habla engles?"
                            "You live in Miami, learn spanish!"
                            "You live in America, learn english!"
                            *click*

Some people just can't take getting sh*t shoved back in their face.
                            Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!
                            I especially like how after you replied No sir, Habla engles, he actually sassed you IN ENGLISH!!!

Comment

I know how he feels. At my FORMER job....RS (thank god I'm gone, I got my new job today!) I was the only so called "gringo". I speak spanish, but I'm still the only one there without any hispanic back ground.

Comment

I've noticed that a truly HUGE number of native English speakers who visit a country where English is not the native language, speak English anyway, as if everyone could understand them. Sometimes, to be fair, they were using it automatically, such as at a restaurant: "Yeah, I'll have...."

There are also the rude and self-centered, who think that everyone, everywhere, should understand them all the time. These are the people who tend to speak very loudly, because of course, that's all you need to do to make yourself understood.

I witnessed this once with a woman who was trying to get a pair of shoes repaired. She wanted to know when they'd be ready. The guy didn't understand much, but he did know what she wanted, so he pointed to the order slip, which had the due date printed on it.

I guess she couldn't read, because she kept asking the same question.

"I want these TOMORROW. Can I get them TOMORROW?"

I was sick of listening to her, so I told her that they were busy and the shoes would be ready on the date printed on the order slip.

"Oh, that's no good," she said. "Where can I take them where someone speaks ENGLISH?"

"Try the Yellow Pages."

"Okay. Thanks."

I guess I was either deaf or a foreigner too, or else she was incapable of lowering her voice to a reasonable volume.

Comment

Working...
                                X