This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You, and your children, scare me.

A little background: I did ear piercings at my jewelry store job. I don't want to argue about the pros and cons of getting pierced at the mall. It was my job, I did it, end of story. Also, as a side note, I have absolutely nothing against mentally challenged people. I have nothing against their children. That said, on with my story.

One evening, about 10 minutes before I was set to leave (I let my manager go grab a smoke before I clocked out, stupid me), a couple and their two children come up to my counter. Husband is a very large, very persistently angry looking man. His wife appears to be somewhat mentally challenged. In their mall rent-a-stroller are two kids. A boy about 4 or 5 (already wearing thick glasses like his mom) and a 2 year old girl. Let me just say...ugly people do not have cute children. At least that was the case with this couple. At first glance, the girl seems to have weepy eyes, running nose, and just generally looks filthy. She's also wearing nothing but a diaper.

Man walks up to the counter.

Him: You pierce?
    Me: Yes we do.
    Him: Okay, good. I want to do her ears. *points at 2 year old*
    Me: *already getting a "fun" vibe from these people* Alright...these are our piercing earrings...*customer picks out earrings, I ring up sale, paperwork completed, etc. *

Man picks up his daughter, and brings her into the kiosk and sits down. Girl immediately starts crying and fighting to get out of her dad's lap. I put on my gloves, get everything ready, and go to clean the daughter's ears...and then I realize that this child is sick. In the two minutes that the girl has been in the kiosk and started crying her eyes have started...oozing. There is thick white junk coming out of both corners of her eyes, and now they are barely open. Her nose is running like a faucet. She is also scared to death.

Him: Okay, let's do this.
    Me: I just need to clean her ears first. *I try to get near her ears, all the while hoping that she doesn't have the plague, but the girl will not hold still. Dad makes angry noises*
    Him: Stop that! Quit being a big baby! *She tries to push out of his arms, and he wraps his arms around her and squeezes her to his chest* You know better than this! KNOCK IT OFF! *Daughter starts wailing and fighting. Dad, clearly, is an a-hole who doesn't realize that a 2 years old has no concept of what is going on, and is scared*
    Me: Sir, if she does not want to get her ears pierced, we can't make her. *Also, the more she fights, the more gunk comes out of her eyes, and makes me want to puke.* If you want, we can give you your money back. I haven't opened the earrings yet.
    *Dad continues to struggle with his daughter while I stand back and wait. Finally he gives up.*
    Him: Fine, this is ridiculous. Let's go.

I refund their money as fast as humanly possible and get them out of there. As soon as they are gone, I take a bath in Purell and puke in the trashcan (well, not really.) It would have been bad enough if the dad was just a jerk who wanted to force his daughter into getting her ears pieced, but something was obviously very wrong with this kid. She was sick. And scary looking. I don't think these parents were winning any awards this year. Gah! Just thinking about that child gives me the creeps even now.
    --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Wow! and What is wrong with those people? I think I need
    "Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor." - Philip J. Fry

Comment

There's nothing that can be said to this, except WTF?

Seriously, I'm not good with kids. I don't like kids. I never have, but that little girl needed rest and/or medical attention, not to have her ears pierced...
      Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

oh my god....there are so many things wrong with that....
        If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

Comment

someone needs to chlorinate the gene pool again . . .

Comment

It's common-freaking sense people...if your kid is sick, she won't heal as well. Wait for her to get over her infection or whatever, and here's a thought, wait until they are old enough to take care of the piercing THEMSELF. Before then, you're just tramatizing the kid so you can go "Aw, look at my daughter's ears" and feel good about how cute your kid is.

Gah. SO MANY pet peeves about parents getting babies' ears pierced. Comes from the days at the Claire's, I guess.
            I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

At that point I'd get a coworker to call the cops while I keep the guy busy until they arrived. Staying in that situation won't make anything better and at this point you really gotta take the parents out of the equation when it comes to the right thing to do. The parents can be halted for child endangerment. Please keep this mind.

If I was a customer and somehow saw this, I know I'd be calling the law. Maybe ask them to send two squad cars if I told them they'd be dealing with a primate gorilla.
              Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
                At that point I'd get a coworker to call the cops while I keep the guy busy until they arrived. Staying in that situation won't make anything better and at this point you really gotta take the parents out of the equation when it comes to the right thing to do. The parents can be halted for child endangerment. Please keep this mind..
                Unfortunately, as my manager was taking a break, I was the only associate in the kiosk at the time. Honestly, at the time it didn't occur to me that he was being "abusive" toward his daughter, but in retrospect I guess it could have appeared that way. I'm so glad I don't have to do ear piercings anymore, for this very reason.
                --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

My parents took me to get my ears pierced at age 3.....because I begged. I took it like a soldier and still have them to this day. I knew I wanted those pretty things in my ears that my mommy had in her ears.

But itty bitty babies and toddlers cannot know what it's going to feel, let alone LOOK like. How do these parents know that their babies really want this? As cute as it is to see a baby with pierced ears, I think it's a very stupid idea. Wait until the child is old enough to ask to have it done, then go from there.

Those parents had to be stupid, to say the least. Insisting their sick, sick child get her ear pierced instead of sleeping or going to the doctor? And at the risk of getting others sick?! Not even caring that Niagra falls was coming out of her nose and some unidentified ooze coming out of her eyes? WTF was wrong with those people?
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I don't even know what disease would cause a child to leak white ooze out of his/her eyes like that.

That child needs to see a doctor, not get her ears pierced.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I don't even know what disease would cause a child to leak white ooze out of his/her eyes like that.
                      the answer to that million dollar question would be(more than likely)-Pinkeye!
                      thank you for playing name that illness!!
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

That child needs to see a doctor, not get her ears pierced.
                        It's possible it could have been pink eye. However, I've had that a couple of times...and never had anything like what this child had come out of my eyes. She looked like a sick puppy >.>
                        --Kim--

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          the answer to that million dollar question would be(more than likely)-Pinkeye!
                          thank you for playing name that illness!!
                          Oh. Better keep her away from the Worcestershire sauce then!
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Isn't Pinkeye highly contagious? And plus, they were in a rental stroller -- do those things ever get santized before or after each use? What if she got pinkeye goo all over the stroller? and then some poor unsuspecting child could just as easily catch it from the stroller . . .
                            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I got my ears pierced when I was 11. My mom didn't tell me where we were going.

As cute as they are with earrings, it's totally unnecessary. I would also wait until my kid actually asked for it, whatever age that might be. If I really had a "need" to get my baby's ears pierced, I'd have a doctor do it. And for the record, a 2yo IS a big baby
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X