This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price misconceptions

Every other week the store I work at (A major craft store) has a sale. Every sale customers don't read the sale signs in front of product, they just see the price. I thought I would dedicate a thread to people that can't figure out prices no matter how obvious it should be. Feel free to share your own stories.

SC: This ribbon is on sale right?
    Me: No, that is the wrong brand
    SC: but there's a sign over there for ribbon being on sale.
    Me: The sign is for a completely different brand of ribbon.
    SC: I don't want it then.
    Me:
    -----------------------------------
    SC: This frame is 50% off right?
    Me: No, that frame is $99.99 and only the frames priced $50.00 and under are 50% off.
    SC: That's very deceiving
    Me: How so?
    SC:It makes you think all the frames are 50% off.
    Me: Only if you don't read the sign.
    SC: I would like a price match for a flag case from another store
    Me: Ok, do you have an adertisement with you showing the price?
    SC: *shows me ad showing a flag case on sale for $20.00 regularly $30.00*
    Me: I'm sorry, the flag case we offer is a completely different product. (The one we sold was around $40.00, and the competing company's was regularly $30.00 and was a complately different company, wood, and size.) We can't just give you a competing price for something that is completely different.
    SC: I'll just go to *competitor* then.
    Me: Ok.

I thought this was stupid because that's like asking for a price match on an iPod and showing an ad for a creative zen mp3 player.

Please share your own stories

Oh I get this ALL the time! I swear, even when the sign BENEFITS them they can't be bothered to read it!! We have a very simple set of offers that people can choose from, all of them are labled very clearly with stickers in different colours so you can tell the offers apart. It's really not that tricky, lil kids could manage to get the gist and yet adults cannot I lose track of the amount of times I get the :
    "This is in the three for two right?" *holds up a book CLEARLY marked with a "2 for £5" sticker*

or vice versa. I can usually let it slide, but when they make it as far as the counter, wait till I've rung it all up and THEN try to convince me of their arguement by saying :
    "Your signs are misleading...that's misrepresentation, I want it for *insert insanely low price here*"
    Then I lose my faith in humanity altogether...sheesh

Actual conversation between my manager and a customer pulling the "misleading" arguement:
    SC :"The signs are very misleading, I would never have brought these books if I thought they were going to cost that much!"
    M :"Are you colourblind ma'am?"
    SC :" NO! what on earth..."
    M :"I wondered if perhaps that was how you'd mistaken a bright RED sticker that quite clearly states 3 for 2 with a bright BLUE sticker that quite clearly states 2 for £5. I couldn't think of any other reason for someone of your obvious intelligence missing something as obviously labled as these books? *tilts head and looks innocent*"
    SC :"Yes....well....*stomps off in a huff*"
    M :

I gave her a standing ovation for that one

Comment

"The sign is misleading" is jus ta euphimism for "I'm too stupid to read signs. Give me a discount!"
      free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Had a girl come up to me with a $6.99 book that had a HALF MARKED PRICE sticker on it yesterday.

She says to me "this book is half price, right"?
        I say "yes"
        She says "so, it is $7.00...and half of that is.............."?
        I stare at her for a second, thinking she is going to come out and say "$3.50"...but it never comes.
        She then says "sorry, but what is half of $7.00"?
        I say "$3.50"

She gets all red and says "oh, haha".

OMG! Come on, did she have to ask? It is simple math! I knew that the fact that they let kids use calculators on their EXAMS was a bad thing. How are you going to learn to do simple math when you have a machine doing it for you?
        If I was caught with a calculator in math class I would have gotten in trouble.
        It is like having an "open book test"...I never understood the logic. Everyone should have passed when the answers are right in front of you...sadly, some people even failed those.
        "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
          If I was caught with a calculator in math class I would have gotten in trouble. It is like having an "open book test"...I never understood the logic. Everyone should have passed when the answers are right in front of you...sadly, some people even failed those.
          A BIT OFF TOPIC....Actually, had a great chemistry teacher in high school that allowed stuff like this to go on. At the beginning of the year, he told us that in 20 years of teaching, he had never had anyone get a perfect grade on one of his tests, and he didn't think it was about to start now.

This was back in the 80's when students were supposed to cover their books with book covers, paper, whatever. (Don't think they still do that now, not sure.) Anyway, on his tests, he told us we could use anything that was on our book cover. He was that confident in his tests.

His confidence was not overblown. Even though some people shrank the entire chapter down one time and put it on their book cover, it didn't help. The only time it helped was the one chapter that was all about memorizing formulas--but even then no one got a perfect score, or even close. Heck, he was so cocky that if someone got a really bad grade, he would give them an option of keeping that grade for that test, or retaking the test....without the questions! More than one kid improved his grade by simply randomly filling in an answer sheet!

The final exam was interesting, too. He allowed you to bring in all your book covers from the year, if you wanted. Of course, by that point, most of the smarter students had figured out that either you knew this stuff or you didn't, and the book covers weren't going to help much, and in fact could slow you down. Now, there were two sophomores in this junior level class: myself and My First Big Crush. And throughout the year, we had been the two doing the best on all the tests, with me usually edging her out for top honors. (Yes, he would announce who got the best grades.) On the final exam, after being the best student in the class for most of the year, I got 50 questions right, while MFBC got 33 right. Of course, this was out of SEVENTY-FIVE QUESTIONS! Thank goodness he graded on a curve!

Despite all this, his class was an absolute hoot most of the time, and he was quite a character. That being said, I never want to have to take one of his tests. Ever. Again. I do wonder how some of this generation would do in this guy's class and on his tests? God, I hope he is still teaching!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth tonydanza View Post

SC:It makes you think all the frames are 50% off.
            Me: Only if you don't read the sign.
            Gosh darn clearly marked signs. How can you do that? Just because a sign is there doesn't mean you have to read it, it's only for decorative purposes right?

Until it benefits the customer in his/her own backwards world...
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

We had a proff that would not only write the questions on the board, but the answers right with them. You would be think that'd make everyone pass, but people STILL failed.

They ended up firing him over some grief about his activities outside school. So, our final exam was given to us two weeks before the exam was to take place. He told us take it home, work among ourselves, and then drop it off before the end of semester. Or don't. It didn't really matter, he'd already written our grades in.

Everyone got a 4.0 in that class
              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

My major peeve is when something finds its way into a sale pile that is not supposed to be there and an SC rants on how about how they should get it at the low price because "it was in the sale pile."

I never let them get away with that.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                  Neither do I. When they see that it's not the sale price I don't give them any other option between paying full price, or not buying it at all by asking "Do you still want it?" They usually see that they won't get their way after that.

Comment

I don't see how people can not read signs. I read them, then double check to make sure I get the right stuff. If I don't, I chalk it up to my mistake, not that it was "mis-leading". Chances are Hunts and Heinz are right next to each other. If I see a sign that says 2 for $4 and its for Hunts, but I buy Heinz instead because I looked at the wrong thing, I don't get mad at the store.

What do they want, everything on sale in one special section closed off from everything else? Then they'd complain that things aren't where they used to be.

Comment

Ugh, this was the most annoying part of my days at Target. I was one of the floor staff, and i'd get calls from registers saying
                      "I have this item that is scanning at full price, and the customer saw a price on the shelf that was cheaper, can you check it for me?"

I would say to them "The price it's scanning at would be correct, it was probably just put in the wrong spot on the shelf"

The girl would kind of pause and then say
                      "Well can you just go and have a look?"

ME : "Sure, I can look if they don't mind waiting a while while I drop everything i'm currently doing, just to go and check a price that I know is scanning correctly anyway, i'll call you back" *click"

Yes I was often rude, but it just pissed me off soooooo much that they wouldnt believe me. And often when I told them that I was in fact correct, the customer would have a huge hissy fit saying i ripped the price off the shelf, or that it's false advertising, bla bla bla.

It's CUSTOMERS that put the shit in the wrong spot so they prices don't always match - so don't get all pissy with me damnit.
                      I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
                      another time, this world would fade away
                      To find true love, is like no other joy,
                      our choice is here
                      be happy for today

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                        My major peeve is when something finds its way into a sale pile that is not supposed to be there and an SC rants on how about how they should get it at the low price because "it was in the sale pile."

For all I ever knew, they put it there themselves.

Comment

That reminds me...I had a customer just yesterday who came up with two loaves of bread in her cart. One's Wonderbread, the other's Freihoffer's brand. I ring them up. One is about $2, the other is $1.50.

Two items later, the customer asked if the bread rang up at 2/$1 like the sign said. I looked at her puzzled and said, "No, why?"

She pointed over to a sale rack near the registers. "Because it came from that rack."

I look over at the rack, and at the 8.5"x11" signs on it that say, "Great Value Brand Bread, 2 for $1.00."

So I apologize. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. That's for the Great Value brand bread, our store brand. These were Wonder and Freihoffer."

She sort of gave me that I-just-ate-a-lemon look and glared. "Do you still want them?" I asked. She slowly nodded and I left it at that.

Seriously. Most of the bread on the rack was our store brand (in blue bags, rather than the white that both Wonder and Freihoffer come in) and there were only two other non-GV brand bread loaves on the rack. Obviously some other lazy customer saw the rack, decided they wanted the sale bread instead, and couldn't be bothered to put their first choice of bread back.

One thing that bothers me, though, is that recently a lot of the summer clothing has been going on sale and the employees in that department are going crazy with the sticker gun, pricing down merchandise without bothering to actually change it in the computer. So clothes will still ring up full price (or the previous sale price) instead of the clearly-marked sale price on the clothing. And the stickers are so firmly affixed that they obviously haven't been pulled from a different product, which is something else I've dealt with before and can usually recognize.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth tonydanza View Post
                            Every other week the store I work at (A major craft store) has a sale. Every sale customers don't read the sale signs in front of product, they just see the price. I thought I would dedicate a thread to people that can't figure out prices no matter how obvious it should be. Feel free to share your own stories.

I realize that this thread is from September, but I wanted to chime in.

The ad this week had some yarn on sale. The yarn that was on sale had similar labels to the ones that weren't on sale, but the sale signs clearly said WHICH of the yarns were on sale and which weren't, and if you read the sign and the label, there was no way to get it wrong.

So, I had a woman come through my line, returning a bunch of yarn and buying a bunch that she thought was on sale. She was even telling the customer in line behind her how good of a deal it was--because she thought the yarn she'd picked out was 2.00 a skein.

It wasn't, it was 8.99. IT WAS made by the same company as the sale stuff, but it wasn't on sale, it wasn't even near the sale sign AND it clearly wasn't the same stuff. I took the copy of the ad out of my drawer and showed her the stuff that was on sale (yarn that is normally about 4.99). And she was pissed. Something tells me that she didn't really think it was on sale, because most of the "ITS ON SALE" idiots demand that we go check the price. She didn't. She threw a hissy fit.

She then lectured ME about how we need to make the signs less confusing. The hell? I don't make the signs. Then got all huffy, "well, I don't want it then". Grrr. Now I have to go and put back all the yarn she returned and the crap she didn't want. Not that it's that difficult, but still.

Or there are those little bottles of paint, apparently some of them are on clearence, and they have clearence stickers in front of the colors that are actually on clearence. Customers don't see that the sticker is for that ONE color, they see a few of the stickers on each row and assume that it means that the entire brand of paint is on clearence. Most people were OK when they were informed that it was just specific colors, there were those who got all irate. Dude reading labels isn't that hard. The clearence label actually says the color. I know!

Then there were the sale signs that stayed up all Christmas season. Because during Christmas we had an ad w/coupon everyweek, and some things stayed on sale at the same price, they didn't bother to change the sale signs. Well, I'd get people coming up with the sale item wanting to use the coupon with it. Because the sign said the sale ended LAST week. Or the week before. Most of the time, explaining that it was extended or something worked.

What's that thing in one of the current threads about if the sign is helpful to me, memorize it? Because if we accidently leave a sale sign up for whatever reason, they sure as hell don't see that date at the bottom the sign, and by golly they demand that sale price (and they get it too. And I don't really care that they do, because, dude, I'm the cashier. Just don't be bitchy to ME because of the sign, I am not the keeper of the signs)

One dude got the manager to get the cashier to ring the thing at regular price and give him the discount. Whatever. He wasn't a jerk about it though. He was actually a very nice guy, I just don't have the autority to override stuff like that. I can't even use the freakin quantity button without a KEY.

I tell you my favorite thing about this week is that there was no coupon. Well there was for Sun and Mon, I think, but it was only good for two days. So, you get the customers who come up and want to sign for the coupon. "Can I sign and get my 40%" ...NO! NEENER NEENER NEENER! "Why not?, they always let me do it before!" Because there is no coupon! Perhaps I shouldn't be as filled with glee as I am when I tell them that, but dude, I totally am estatic.

Or the people who bring up the clearenced Christmas stuff and ask me when it's going to be cheaper. I don't know. Sometime in the future when nothing but the crap is left.

Anyway, sorry for bringing up the old thread.
                            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              A BIT OFF TOPIC....Actually, had a great chemistry teacher in high school that allowed stuff like this to go on. At the beginning of the year, he told us that in 20 years of teaching, he had never had anyone get a perfect grade on one of his tests, and he didn't think it was about to start now.

Despite all this, his class was an absolute hoot most of the time, and he was quite a character. That being said, I never want to have to take one of his tests. Ever. Again. I do wonder how some of this generation would do in this guy's class and on his tests? God, I hope he is still teaching!!!
                              Jester, teachers like this still DO exist lol. I graduated high school in 2003, and we had to keep our books covered - we found out that paper bags worked the best lol.

As far as teachers like that, I had one my last semester of college. His name was Dr. Potts. He taught perception (how the body and brain percieve the 5 sense, and the biological mechanisms that help with that), and he did his postdoc at Harvard Med. Yeah...that should have been the first warning sign. If IQs could go as high as 300, his would be up there. We couldn't figure out his method of curving the test (and curve he did...) because the math was so freaking complex. He had to curve each test about 20-30 points on average to pull the average up to a C. He'd go off on these tangents that even those in the class with an intricate understanding of biology and physiology couldn't follow. The TA tried to tell him like every day that he needed to dumb it down like three levels, but he refused to listen. He finally got it when we all failed the final miserably (I was thrilled with my C in the class).

So yeah...there are still teachers like that out there. [sorry for the continuing hijack]
                              Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Working...
                              X