Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not a mind reader (kind of long)!

Ugh, I swear people lose all common sense the second they walk in the door of my restaurant. Yesterday the barista business was quiet so I was moved to help the sandwich people and take orders (horror of horrors). Everything is going well for a while, people are able to figure out the "look at menu, tell girl what you want" problem more or less..until this woman. She huffs her way up to me, cuts off the people who have been waiting to order, and shouts at me--"TURKEY! WITH SWISS! WHITE BREAD! AND HURRY--I'M IN A RUSH" and then wanders off to look at cookies (ummmm so is everyone else lady? who died and made you queen--although your breath is so rank I'll do anything to get you out of here faster?).
    So we have this option where they get to make a sandwich with whatever they want, not order one of the name sandwiches off the menu. I put her down for what she asks for. After much loud sighing and whining "Can't THOSE PEOPLE BACK THERE make my sandwich a LITTLE FASTER! I'm IN a HURRY!" (lady, you and everyone else--see the two cooks back there? See ALLLLLLLL those orders they're working on? we're shortstaffed and it's the middle of the dinner rush, this establishment is NOT known for fast-food timed service)---she gets her sandwich. Rips it open and comes over to me--
    SC=her
    SM=silly me
    SC: "WHY is this not the *insert name* sandwich? With the bacon?"
    SM: "Ma'am you asked for a turkey sandwich with swiss on white bread--that's what the kitchen made you"
    SC="NO! That's NOT what I said! I said I wanted the *insert name* sandwich!!
    SM=(wonders why I'm even arguing this). Excuse me ma'am--can I please see your order slip, the one I gave you right after you told me what you wanted? This says "turkey w/swiss on white bread"
    SC="WELL that's NOT what I said, you made it up! You should have known that I wanted the *insert name* sandwich!! Figures you work here, you're too stupid to do anything else. I'm keeping this sandwich because I'm in a rush but next time I'm here I want the RIGHT sandwich"

Yup. I mind read--because the meat, cheese, and bread she wanted were all not componants of the sandwich she said she wanted...but I should know that.
    Also "the next time she comes in" I hope no one remembers her. This isn't a corner diner--I see about 500 people in the course of my shift on a day to day basis. Also, she stormed out before I could tell her that if "too stupid to work here" means almost finished with a 4 year degree program with the intent of going to professional school that's better than most places.
    The stupid. It burns.
    Last edited by Barista_Babe; 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM.
    Customer: What do you mean there's no ice! I have to drink this coffee hot? - Clerks

Yeah what were you thinking, giving her a turkey on swiss when she said a turkey on swiss! You and your perfect memory! Bad sandwich maker, bad bad bad!

I go to McD's fairly regularly and always order the same thing, YET I don't EXPECT them to remember me. One cashier surprised me with punching in my order before I spoke, but like I said, I don't expect them to do so, they serve tons o customers a day.

These hurry hurry hurry customers should learn how to pack their own lunches. But that would be the logical thing to do. Then who would they get to bark at?
    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

You don't by any chance hapen to work at a place that rhymes with Fanera Dread do you?

Because iif so I totally feel your pain. I worked at one for 2 1/2 years way back when. Major suckage factor.
      www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

That'll learn ya' to help your coworkers...!

I go to Starbucks on my way to work maybe a couple times a month (usually when the weather's bad and I take the highway that takes me past it; my usual route doesn't get plowed in a timely manner and there's a spot that floods when it rains a lot...Anyway,) the woman that works in the mornings usually remembers what I get. And the guys in my old store's cafe still remember too, after I've been gone over 9 months.

I love when people assume you're stupid cuz you work food service...students need money too. Though at the bookstore I guess people expect you to be smart cuz I got a lot of customers ask me if I was in school (I had graduated college 4 months before I started working there).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Barista_Babe View Post
          SC="WELL that's NOT what I said, you made it up! You should have known that I wanted the *insert name* sandwich!! Figures you work here, you're too stupid to do anything else. I'm keeping this sandwich because I'm in a rush but next time I'm here I want the RIGHT sandwich"
          Wow. Anyone else surprised she didn't demand her money back?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            Wow. Anyone else surprised she didn't demand her money back?
            Well, she WAS in a hurry.... Who wants to bet that she'll ask for a free sandwich next time?
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

RubyRed...they used to be one company if that helps any.
              The menus and systems are almost exactly the same...

I say no more, my identity still remains shrouded in mystery
              Customer: What do you mean there's no ice! I have to drink this coffee hot? - Clerks

Comment

You mean to tell us you made her what she asked for, rather than what she wanted? For shame!
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                X