This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you and goodbye...

Not a rant, just a quick little insert...

What happened to the words "thank you" and "goodbye" when you give people info? I had an old lady ask me today if plastic milk jugs were recyclable. I told her that as long as it had a number 1 or 2 recycling symbol on it, they were fine. Here was her response.

Her: Number 1 and number 2?
    Me: Yes, ma'am.
    Her: Click.

I understand she probably wanted to get off the phone and check the containers, but REALLY. What about thank you? What about goodbye???

Okay I'm done now.
    You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Because not many people have manners anymore. I find it appauling that an old lady wouldn't have the decency to say thank you.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That irks me too. Whenever I call for information, when I am done I say "thank you for your help" It doesn't take up much time.

Hell i say "Thank you" at every stage of the drive through (Is that everything? "Yes thank you" etc)

Comment

Me too. They expect us to respect them because of age (Which I have no problem with) but don't give it back.
        I of course don't talk about all old people, I have a couple of absolutely ADORABLE elderly regulars, but you'd expect the bad ones to be, you know, better raised!

I had an old man watching me put stuff in the reduce bin and shout out loud as he walked towards it "Bon, Qu'est-ce que le p'tit morveux a mis en réduit aujourd'hui?" (What did the lil [male brat] put in reduce today?)

The only thing I could say to that was "puff up my brisket" "Lil [female brat]!"

"Oh, sorry."
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Morveux is a male brat? So a female brat is a morveuse? Did I get that right?

I need a tune up on mon francais. I haven't used it since senior year of high school. Amazing what you can forget in 2 years. I can't even remember basic verb conjugation.

Back on topic.......no one should get too shaken up when people don't say thank you. Manners are pretty much nonexistent these days.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            Morveux is a male brat? So a female brat is a morveuse? Did I get that right?
            Yup!

You'd think C cups and lipgloss would be enough of a tip off.

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
              Me too. They expect us to respect them because of age
              Respect can be earned and lost. You get a certain level of respected by being older, and theoretically wiser, and then lose it by being rude.
              ludo ergo sum

Comment

PW_Elle, totally agree.

Along those lines, how about a "Sorry" or "Pardon me" when you dial the wrong number?

Comment

Quoth nick1091 View Post
                  PW_Elle, totally agree.

Along those lines, how about a "Sorry" or "Pardon me" when you dial the wrong number?
                  how about not being drunk and using something higher on the evolutionary scale than marmoset speak when you call my business phone line 4 times in a row blaring music in the background?

Yup. Saturday. My Cellphone that I use for my second job as a cartoonist/Illustrator. Nice.

Comment

Quoth nick1091 View Post
                    I always apologize the few times I dial a wrong number.

I also always thank people for giving me information.

My Mommy taught me manners. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Mommy.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
                      Whenever I tell people to have a good day at the end of a transaction, I usually get nothing or *grunt*
                      I'd have people ask me something, I'd answer, they'd turn to leave, and I'd say, "Have a nice day!..." and hang on until they were out of earshot, then, "Y'know, or not."
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Ive been known to call out "your welcome" to peoples backs as they walk off...

I get one of two responces
                        1. They turn around an apologuise
                        2. They stare at me blankly....deer in the headlights look as if they cant comprehend having good manners.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Haha, pygmies.

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
                          I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies.
                          I'm stealing this. Hope you don't mind
                          You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            I'd have people ask me something, I'd answer, they'd turn to leave, and I'd say, "Have a nice day!..." and hang on until they were out of earshot, then, "Y'know, or not."
                            I am well known for saying things like this at work. I amuse my coworkers with my little tears and tangents after calls or while the caller is on hold. My current favorite insults are "I hate you and your stupid face" and "your mother doesn't love you." I also recently got smacked by my mom for commenting at a basketball game about one of the opposing team's players "I hope you die in a car crash." I didn't mean it, he just made me angry!
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                            X