This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HA! Caught you!

So our store has been having a major problem with shrink recently. Mostly due to the fact that people are willing to return anything, and they expect us to accept it. Well it seems that with all this shrink management has wised up and told us to be more careful on returns...meaning I can be a complete bastard to the people who complain ALL THE TIME!

So this lady comes in to return Listerine. She claims that it contains too much alcohol. Now I guess they thought they had me fooled, but she did this two weeks ago. You'd think they learn. Sure enough I check, and this listerine had gas saving of 8 cents on it. So I realized that they were using the gas savings and returning the product. So I give her the return minus the 16 cents times 15 gallons (She had two).

When I hand her the cash, she just gives me a look. I explain to her what I did and she get's pissed. She walks off, saying the infamous CS mantra...

"I'm NEVER coming back"

Why because I'm making you PAY for gas....The store manager thanked me for figuring out this little scam people are pulling.
    --AmericanZero8503--
    Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Quoth AmericanZero8503
    "I'm NEVER coming back"
    That's got to be the most encouraging thing to hear from a scammer
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

How does that work? I dont' understand. What's the offer on the Listerine? Sorry, sometimes I'm a little dense.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
        How does that work? I dont' understand. What's the offer on the Listerine? Sorry, sometimes I'm a little dense.
        for each bottle you buy you get 8 cents off a gallon of gas at our store's gas station. So if gas is 2.98 you're going to pay 2.90. They allow it up to 15 gallons.

The savings print out on a receipt with a barcode, which is scanned at the pump. People buy things, get the gas savings, then try to return it. Our managers are having us check stuff that's returned for savings to make sure people don't scam us.
        --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

So if I buy 37 bottles of Listerine from you, I get 15 gallons of gas at USD 0,02? That's a steal... how much is Listerine per bottle?
          You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr
            So if I buy 37 bottles of Listerine from you, I get 15 gallons of gas at USD 0,02? That's a steal... how much is Listerine per bottle?

LOL...yeah, one time campbell's soup was 5 cents off...needless to say I got free gas that week....
            --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

Aaaaah I think I know where you work at! Not the exact location but the store. We have those here and it never occurred to me to do that. I've been happy enough to just save money in gas. In fact, it felt really good saving up 86 cents in all my gas coupons to fill up my tank since we're going to Michigan tomorrow.

Comment

Okay, I understand. Thanks.

While it sounds like you could save a little money that way, I would think what you did save would be offset by the amount of time and extra gas it would take to go back to the store to return the product.

Comment

Hmm . . . would it be possible for your company to put a disclaimer in the promotion saying that any product involved in the gas savings cannot be returned? In other words, all sales final on anything that gives you a gas discount. That should discourage the scammers.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45
                    Hmm . . . would it be possible for your company to put a disclaimer in the promotion saying that any product involved in the gas savings cannot be returned? In other words, all sales final on anything that gives you a gas discount. That should discourage the scammers.
                    Yeah...in a perfect world. And they would pay me a million dollars each week. And our store would have unicorn parking Probably would never happy, they would worry about 'upsetting' people rather than worry about scammers
                    --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

Quoth ditchdj
                      Aaaaah I think I know where you work at! Not the exact location but the store. We have those here and it never occurred to me to do that. I've been happy enough to just save money in gas. In fact, it felt really good saving up 86 cents in all my gas coupons to fill up my tank since we're going to Michigan tomorrow.
                      Southern Indiana chain of grocery stores...it's not too hard to pick out since we're the only ones with Gas Station...lol. It's a great program, you can buy what you need...and then save some money on gas. I usually only buy things with gas savings and go to our low cost competitor (rhymes with cal-hart) for everything else. It's sad that they don't pay me enough to buy all my groceries at their store...but I'm the stereotypical poor college student.
                      --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

they would worry about 'upsetting' people rather than worry about scammers
                        Yeah, too true. Oh well. Aren't you lucky that you get to deal with corporate's stupidity fallout? Eesh. At least you found a way around the scammers for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X