Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of no do you not understand?

Is it the part where we don't support that product?

Or the part where we haven't done so since 1999?

Maybe it's the part where us not handling it does not jive with what you want?

I had a call this morning, followed by a related call this afternoon. I'll approximate the dialogue for you below, in a condensed version.

The background is: at my call center, we handle a lot of infrastructure equipment repairs. We have a computerized listing of the parts we can repair/loan out/replace, and if the computer says no, it means no. If we are able to handle the part, it can be covered under a customer's maintenance contract, but if we don't, you're basically SOL, though we'll direct you to who actually handles the repair/replacement, if we can.

Our Cast:
    Me: 'ello
    LT: My loverly tech support buddy
    SFT: Stupid Field Tech
    SCSM: Stupid Customer Support Manager

I get a call from SFT, looking to get two parts replaced. We discover, unfortunately, that one part he wants is Sale Only, and the other one, a Tone Remote Adapter, is no longer supported by our company, but by the OEM.

Me: So, unfortunately, the notes on this part show that it is handled by OEM. I can get you their phone number if you like...
    SFT: Well, it should be covered under the customer's contract.
    Me:....ok, well, all I can find is that we do not support it, and have not since approximately 1999, when this note forwarding repairs to the OEM was added to the part number.
    SFT: Well, we just want to exchange it, under the customer's contract.
    Me: I understand that, but in addition to no longer supporting this product, we do not have any in our stock. Any requests would have to go through the OEM.
    SFT: So...we can't do the exchange through you under the contract?
    Me: (thinking in my head--Yay! You're catching on!) Exactly.
    SFT: Well, I guess I'll follow up with the CSM to see if there is anything we can do.
    Me: That's fine, anything else I can do for you today?
    SFT: Nope, thanks.
    *end call*

In my mind, we're all done. Unfortunately, this is not the case. A few hours later, my phone dings, and I answer to SFT (who stayed mostly silent on this call) and SCSM, on a conference call.

SCSM: So what you're saying is that this part isn't covered under their contract?
    Me: (thinking--Here we go again) It would be covered if the unit were repaired or handled through our repair depot, but it is not. Since we do not handle this unit, we cannot cover it under the contract.
    SCSM: Well, why wasn't I notified that this unit is no longer covered.
    Me: To my knowledge, the note on the part number is from 12/6/1999, and I was told by my supervisor (who I spoke to following up after the other call, just for kicks) that our repair depot has not handled one of these units since September of 2001. I'm assuming that the contract was created after that time, so there was no need for notification.
    SCSM: Well, when I checked the products matrix, I couldn't find anything on this part.
    Me: (thinking--so you just assumed it was covered?) Unfortunately, it isn't covered, and we cannot cover it under contract, as we do not have any replacement units in our stock.
    SCSM: Well, isn't there anyone else I can talk to about this?

I conferenced these guys on with LT, who helps me explain, yet again, exactly why we cannot do this, that it is not our fault that he didn't question why the unit wasn't in the matrix at all, and that we cannot make the depot order him a part and cover it under the contract. LT finally caves to the brick wall of stupid questions, and we give SCSM the name for one of the repair depot supervisors, knowing full well that he'll likely laugh in this guy's face but knowing that there's a better chance the SCSM will listen to him.

The thing that kills me about this is that the above is a very condensed version of the conversations, and it literally felt like talking to a wall. I understand that you don't like my resolution, but it's the only one I've got. I did my research and took you as far as I could, but as the CSM, its your job, not mine, to review the customer's contract to make sure things like this don't happen.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford
Working...
X