This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of a line?

Today I was upfront running the only register we had that worked today and there were maybe 7-8 people waiting in line. Wouldn't be a big deal except the company I work for is too cheap to replace our ancient machines. Half the time our counter top scanners don't work so we have to use the hand scanner, and if that goes out, which is often, we have to punch in the UPCs. I've gotten to be fairly good at this so the line was moving fairly quickly considering the circumstances.

I was in the middle of checking out the fourth or fifth person in my line when a woman with a tote comes up to the counter, pushes the customer that I was help aside and dumps her tote on the counter. Needless to say I was more than mildly shocked and confused as to this behavior so I just kind of stared at this woman for a few seconds.

"Well?" She finally asks in that condescending manner that spoiled people just have. "Aren't you even going to greet me?"

I exchange a glance with the lady I had been helping, who is as flabbergasted as I am. I'm still very much at a loss for words so my only response to her is, "Ma'am, there's a line," while pointing the line of stunned people that she had just decided she was better than.

Now, I'm normally the kind of person who can take anything anybody throws at me without blinking, or my smile cracking. However, this woman was enough to make me lose my stride.

"I was here first!" was her very bewildering response.

The very nice exceptionally beautiful and sweet lady that I had been helping choose this time to interject with "The f**k you were you stupid f**king c**t! This man was helping me when you cut in line. Do you know what a line is you stupid wh**e? I didn't f**king think so you stupid c**t. Now get your s**t together and get to the back of the f**king line and f**king wait like everyone else and get the out of my way before I knock you the f**k over!"

Now the flabbergasted shoe is on the other proverbial foot and the evil woman looks at me and says, "How DARE you allow a customer to speak to me that way! I want to talk to your manager!"

My manager, who by this time was standing right behind this woman, taps her on the shoulder and says "I'm the manager today, and you're going to have to wait at the end of the line like everyone else."

At this this woman decides that she has lost and gathers her things and walks to the back of the line. When she was out of earshot my manager tells me that when I get to her I can take my lunch break if I want to, and if she's still there when I get back I can check her out.

I did, and she wasn't.

I'm really starting to like my manager.

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
    When she was out of earshot my manager tells me that when I get to her I can take my lunch break if I want to, and if she's still there when I get back I can check her out.

I did, and she wasn't.

I'm really starting to like my manager.
    Your manager is my hero
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Now the flabbergasted shoe is on the other proverbial foot and the evil woman looks at me and says, "How DARE you allow a customer to speak to me that way! I want to talk to your manager!"
      "1st amendment lady. Have an issue with it, write your own constitution."
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        "1st amendment lady. Have an issue with it, write your own constitution."
        Lord help us, don't give them any ideas.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

"How DARE you allow a customer to speak to me that way! I want to talk to your manager!"
          As if you had the power to control what other people say? God and Goddess forbid if anyone else had told you to control her. Does she really think that she's going to take that?

Some people.

M
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

The very nice exceptionally beautiful and sweet lady that I had been helping choose this time to interject with "The f**k you were you stupid f**king c**t! This man was helping me when you cut in line. Do you know what a line is you stupid wh**e? I didn't f**king think so you stupid c**t. Now get your s**t together and get to the back of the f**king line and f**king wait like everyone else and get the out of my way before I knock you the f**k over!"
            Sounds like this woman also has the potential to go SC all over your ass. You happened to "benefit" from her behaviour....this time.
            Wow. I'd NEVER use that kind of language with someone, no matter how rude they were.
            Great story!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

[QUOTE=coldcupofjoe]
              The very nice exceptionally beautiful and sweet lady that I had been helping choose this time to interject with "The f**k you were you stupid f**king c**t! This man was helping me when you cut in line. Do you know what a line is you stupid wh**e? I didn't f**king think so you stupid c**t. Now get your s**t together and get to the back of the f**king line and f**king wait like everyone else and get the out of my way before I knock you the f**k over!"QUOTE]

Wow, what was the ?

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

.. i think I found a new hero ..

.m.a.k.e. .i.t. .b.e.t.t.e.r.
                {lie.to.me}
                {.x.o.x.o.}
                Lil' Miss Nightmare

Comment

How classy She sounds just as foul as the line-jumper. I wouldn't want either "lady" in my shop.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

Wow, if someone goes on a tirade against another customer it's bad too? I would have probably done the same thing to the woman and I never go off on workers. Didn't she say pretty much what you were thinking but wouldn't have been able to?

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                      Lord help us, don't give them any ideas.
                      I say this because it requires hard work and cooperation, so I know it will never happen.

Besides, they need to declare independance to do so, which means you can toss their sorry butt out!
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The lady who got skipped on probably could've made her point with little to no swearing, but...damn, I would've loved to have been there for that.

Your manager rocks.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had a lady complain that there was only one line at the checkout (6-7 people in line, max). She complained before she noticed that there were FOUR cashiers ringing out that feeder line. She was out of there in less than 3 minutes. Love it when they complain before even using their freakig eyes.

Comment

Another nice one!

Ha! I bet that nice woman worked in retail for a really long time!
                            ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                            Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                              Wow, if someone goes on a tirade against another customer it's bad too? I would have probably done the same thing to the woman and I never go off on workers. Didn't she say pretty much what you were thinking but wouldn't have been able to?
                              I don't object to her speaking up and saying something.
                              I object to the manner in which she did it. Not very classy.
                              There is a difference between butting in line and saying "I was first!" (very rude), and going completely ape shit on someone by calling them every name in the book (very rude AND somewhat crazy). It also could have escalated the situation.
                              People who butt in line don't provoke that kind of rage in me. I don't think I could go through life turning into the Incredible Hulk every time someone did something rude. I mean, for the love of gord, I work in retail!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X