Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you want help, or did you want to be a $#*t?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    I'd hesitate to use Mapquest.
    I like Mapquest because it gives landmarks and it's easier to avoid streets (rather than dragging the route like on Google), but yeah, double check that sucker.
    Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

I'm one of those guys who bucks the trend -- I'm the family Navigator...and the company Navigator and googlemap route-maker guy ^_^

If anything, I'm the opposite of the SC in the OP -- I cannot STAND to go somewhere new without both googlemapping it AND pestering someone at the destination for specific directions to make sure the two match up (They haven't before -- one client (and now friend) I went to is in a really rural area, and no two map sites can seem to agree on the incorrect location of his place >_<).

The sad part is, I seem to get an inordinate number of people who give me only vague directions...Even when I tell them I've never been to the area in question. I still get directions like "turn left at the corner store" (not which one, just "the corner store") or "it's behind where the kiwky mart used to be". ARRRRRRRRGH. To be fair, there was one time when such a bit of information was not only critical, but extremely useful: "turn right where the gas station used to be" --- see the attached image to find out why that one was really helpful.

~~ gas station pic ~~

My own brother, in particular, is really bad about this. He has this strange thing where he cannot comprehend that I might NOT be familiar with an area that he knows like the back of his hand (e.g., the French Quarter) >_< It gets frustrating.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      I always referred to going "down" to visit my parents, because they lived several hundred miles south of us. He insisted that we went "up" to them because they happened to live at a higher elevation.
      You should try New Orleans. Not only to people use "up" "and down" in lieu of "north" and "south" for places outside of town, they use this for in-town areas:

"Towards" this ..... means this direction:
      ...the lake ----------- north
      ...the river ----------- south
      ...uptown/the airport ---- west
      ...downtown ----------- east

People whom I would normally expect to use cardinal directions will often give me a blank stare if I try to give them directions using N/E/W/S (yes, that is where the word "news" allegedly comes from), so I usually just use the local terms, instead.
      Last edited by EricKei; 09-28-2012, 02:06 AM. Reason: how come i can only see typos AFTER i post them? >_< -- 2nd : completely unnoticeable ninja edit
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        I try to give them directions using N/E/W/S (yes, that is where the word "news" comes from),.
        According to dictionary.com, "news" comes from "new," which in turn comes from Proto-Indo-European. That it comes from the directions appears to be a folk etymology.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          If anything, I'm the opposite of the SC in the OP -- I cannot STAND to go somewhere new without both googlemapping it AND pestering someone at the destination for specific directions to make sure the two match up (They haven't before -- one client (and now friend) I went to is in a really rural area, and no two map sites can seem to agree on the incorrect location of his place >_<).
          I tend to use a combination of map and satellite to get to places. However, most of my travel is to well-settled areas, so I don't have to worry much about obscure locations.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I'm one of those guys who bucks the trend -- I'm the family Navigator...and the company Navigator
            But all of that means nothing unless you're also the Lincoln Navigator.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              But all of that means nothing unless you're also the Lincoln Navigator.
              Nah, I'd only need to be that if I got a job conducting history tours ~_~
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Nah, I'd only need to be that if I got a job conducting history tours ~_~
                If you did get a job conducting history tours, I'd head down to take the tour - if only to see how you'd become one of these.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  if only to see how you'd become one of these.
                  Psh. Have you never seen Turbo Teen? The technology is out there. Besides, I'm too un-skinny to end up as a sports car ~_~

Comment

Now I've called somewhere and asked directions a time or two. Not everyone has the money for a gps or a tomtom.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Aye. I prefer maps, whether goggleish or paper. My roomies tend to get on me about that, tho I have often been justified in doing so, as the one I give rides to most often (she is disabled and unable to drive) has absolutely zero sense of direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X