This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I will not exchange your old sodas

Guy comes in with two bottles of soda and asked if he could exchange them. He hadn't bought them from me and his reason for asking me to trade them?

They had been rolling around in his car and left in the hot sun and he wants cold sodas.

I told him no way, I didn't know how old them might have been, I wasn't going to bother looking for the dates on them and I seriously doubt anyone would want to purchase something like that. When he argued with me and said, "it's about being nice", I argued back that it was about being "responsible". When I asked him if he would want to buy a soda that had been left however long in someone's hot car, he left.

Was I wrong and would anyone here have let him make that trade?

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

He has a fridge, he can make his hot sodas cold again.
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

People will do anything to save a buck these days, won't they? Sheesh. I think you were in the right to refuse it. If he didn't want them to roll around in the hot sun, then he shouldn't have left them in the car. If he wants cold sodas, he should either refrigerate those again, or just buy them.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Say I have a package of hot dogs I left in my car overnight in the middle of the summer... maybe I could just walk in to a random store and "exchange" them?
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Oh heck no you weren't wrong. I mean, that's just wrong of him.

Comment

Oh no, totally the right thing, God knows how old those things were or what he could have done to them.
            "Good evening, ignorant pigs. Put down your crack pipes and your beer bongs and pay attention." ~ Head of Richard Nixon

Comment

Eek, he's lucky they didn't explode. That happened with some Diet Cokes in the back of my car. The light-gray headliner of my PT Cruiser is now covered with brown spots.
              He loves the world...except for all the people.
              --Men at Work

Comment

I have some old oil in my car that I need to have changed. So by his logic that shouldn't cost me 20 bucks. I think even the guys at the wal mart tire & lube place are smarter than that (no offense to any wal mart people here, but the locals are a little on the dim side).

I suppose he may not have opened the sodas, but still, they'd probably been out there for months or he would have just put them in the fridge. Open or not, pop goes flat after awhile, and I think the combination of car + hot sun probably speeds this process up.

Maybe I could exchange that eyeliner I forgot about in the car that dried up.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Guess it didn't occur to him to get a cup of ice...?

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "sofas", and I saw your name and I thought, "doesn't she run a convenience store? Why would she have sofas?"
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've been known to trade whatever wrong brand of soda the pizza guy brings me for my preferred brand (you know, the one I originally ordered) at the convenience store near my house... but then, I know the owner and she doesn't mind - besides, I usually spend money besides.
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

OT:

noelegy, i found this online for your pt cruiser woes:

Soft Drinks
                      Pre-treat dry fabric with a laundry pre-soak (spot stain remover) prior to washing with a quality laundry product in the usual way. Alternative treatment: sponge with equal quantities of methylated spirits (wood alcohol) and water. Old or obstinate stains may be softened in glycerine before treatment as above.

i figure it's worth a shot; try it out on a spot that's not too noticable first. just might be the solution you need! (stains suck, i have one in my car that i can't identify or remove )

on topic:

dumb reason for exchange from a dumb person; i applaud your refusal to enable his further stupidity!
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                        Eek, he's lucky they didn't explode. That happened with some Diet Cokes in the back of my car.
                        For some reason, diet ones seem to be more unstable than regular ones. At the last place we rented, we kept ours on the back porch. One winter, we had an extreme cold spell, and while my sodas were OK, a couple of the tops blew off some of my wife's diet ones, and left a nice slushy mess on the side of the house. It was kind of weird seeing the tops separated from the cans, with the pull tabs still intact.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                          I have some old oil in my car that I need to have changed. So by his logic that shouldn't cost me 20 bucks. I think even the guys at the wal mart tire & lube place are smarter than that (no offense to any wal mart people here, but the locals are a little on the dim side).

I change my own oil, so I always save $20.

No you were not in the wrong.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            Guess it didn't occur to him to get a cup of ice...?

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "sofas", and I saw your name and I thought, "doesn't she run a convenience store? Why would she have sofas?"
                            Although for a convenience store, we have been know to sell odd items.
                            As for ice, everything is just bottles and cans so he would have had to buy a whole bag.
                            I'm glad to hear it isn't just me who felt that way. Had it been someone I knew and trusted, I could see doing it as long as I knew how old the sodas were and knew they wouldn't have done anything to them but it's sad you just can't really trust people anymore.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                            ~Clerks

Comment

Two words.
                              HAIRY.
                              CAKES.
                              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X