This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genocidal Customer

This happened a couple years ago, but for some reason I remembered this guy. Now, we have a policy that if a customer threatens any kind of direct violence, we file a report and they get banned from ever calling again. If the call happens to get recorded, I think we can file charges. Threats of indirect violence we just warn the customer or disconnect the call, whichever we feel is appropriate. The difference between direct and indirect threats are set by how the customer phrases it.

Indirect threat: "If you were here, I'd kick your ass." or "I wish I knew where you are so I could kill you."

Direct threat: "I will kick your ass." or "I will find you and kill you."

I've only had 1 direct threat in 3 years, so I guess I'm too lovable to incite murderous thoughts in my customers (though I've been hit on more times than I care to remember). But this guy called in, understandably upset because he had his phone exchanged and the replacement we sent him didn't even power on. This isn't supposed to happen, supposedly they test the replacements before sending them out, but the technicians are human and get lazy or make mistakes.

I don't do much editing when relating calls, but this guy was a bit excessive, so I've removed some gratuitously offensive words.

SC: I can't believe this smurfing piece of smurf phone! I sent the old smurfy phone back and you smurfers sent me one that's worse than what I had. I won't stand for this smurfing smurf!
    ME: I am truly sorry to hear the replacement you received isn't working. You shouldn't expect to have any problems with the replacement, so I am going to make sure we take care of this.
    SC: You smurfing bet you will!
    ME: As I said, I really want to help you, but I'm going to have to ask you to calm down and please stop the language so I can better assist you.
    SC: Calm down? How the smurf can I calm down? The smurfhole I talked to before told me that he was going to fix it, and then I get this piece of smurf!
    ME: Again, I'd like to take care of the problem but I really must ask you to-
    SC: You know what the problem is? I'll tell you the smurfing problem! You use these smurfing Chinese or Japanese or whatever phones and they aren't worth smurf! I'm going to go to China and kill every one of them!
    ME: Ok, now you're getting a little out of control...
    SC: Then I'm going to find that smurfing kid who sent me this phone, and kill him. Then I'm going to kill you, too!
    ME: Uh....hold on a second.

Policy dictates that we get a supervisor or manager in these situations and let them talk to the customer. Since we don't know if the call is being recorded, they are supposed to get as much information as possible from the customer and then let them know that they will now be placed on written correspondence, meaning they can't ever call in again and can only submit requests in writing. I got my sup, explained the situation, and by the time he got there the guy had hung up. But I got to fill out an incident report and he is forever banned

Sure, I knew he wasn't really going to annihilate the entire population of China nor was he he going to kill me or anyone else. He doesn't know my full name, doesn't know where I am, and wouldn't get past security if he did. But someone like that shouldn't have to be dealt with by anyone else.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

What a smurf.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, at least you have the comfort of knowing that you're #1,000,000,002 on his hit list.
      Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Wow what a mother smurfer.

Comment

What a smurfing idiot to think he'd get away with smurfing you up. You smurfed him over good, you did. Smurfin' A.
          The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

I do enjoy Family Guy, but I used to watch the Smurfs religiously. Even at the tender age of 6, I realized that "smurf" can replace almost any word.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

You know it's even funnier if you replace the word smurf with "Butter" or "Pie."

Thank you for brightening an otherwise cloudy day.
              "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
              - Raven

Comment

smurfs...*mad giggle*
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Will he smurf you with the biggest smurf who ever smurfed smurf?

Seriously though, I can see being upset but no phone is worth murder, really nothing is worth murder. Some people.

Comment

Smurfing 'ell. I know I can get pretty smurfed off when some smurfhead starts cursing like a smurfing sailor, but smurf man, that takes the smurfing cake.

Kudos for finding a more entertaining way to swear than the ones I use. <grin>
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Did anyone ever play the Smurf game on Colecovision? I used to love that game...

Ah, memories...

and tell that guy to go smurf himself...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        Did anyone ever play the Smurf game on Colecovision? I used to love that game...
                        I played the Atari 2600 version, but that was one of my favorites too. Some of those old games were just so addictive, you couldn't put them down. I could play Demon Attack for hours, I forget what the highest level I reached was.

On topic, that guy needs some smurfin' serious help. The fact that he even considers resorting to threats to people he doesn't know is rather disturbing.
                        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                          I do enjoy Family Guy, but I used to watch the Smurfs religiously. Even at the tender age of 6, I realized that "smurf" can replace almost any word.
                          Hehe I remember watching the Smurfs every Saturday morning

...and I'm surprised nobody told the guy to "go smurf himself." Now *that* would have been smurfing awesome
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Since Jetfire already beat me to the Family Guy reference, I'll just ask this one question:

"Is it much farther, Papa Smurf?"
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Looks like Smurfette didn't stop by to give him his yearly smurfing.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X