This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debit Creepers

This isn't much of an issue now that we've got faster debit processing, but on our old system, there used to be about a 40 sec wait until the transaction would go through. The number of people who would take this opportunity to wander off to examine something that caught their eye was astronomical. Unfortunately the person behind them would think that their leaving meant the first person was finished. So I had to nicely tell the second person that I still had to wait for 1st person's debit. Then when it did go through, I had to call 1st person back. This served to slow down the line even more than the slow processing did.
    When people mention attention spans shrinking, these are the people I think of.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Oops, you caught me!

Oh I am so someone who does that. In the "On the Go" store at my university, the debit transactions take a good 30+ seconds to be approved, so I stand off to the side and look around randomly while the cashier helps the next person (if they have cash). I didn't realize that was annoying, but I know now!

Comment

If the cashier CAN help someone else while the transaction goes through, that's one thing, but our debit system is integrated, so the till locks up until the transaction goes through. And its not like there's actually anything to LOOK at, its the box office area at the front of a movie theatre. These are the people who get distracted by anything shiny.
      And if they actually came back after a few seconds, this would also be ok, but I always have to call them back to the till so the next person in line isn't glaring at me while they're waiting.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey
        These are the people who get distracted by anything shiny.
        OoOoOoOoOoOoH Shiny!

Comment

speaking of debit

one annoying thing about debit I dislike is the paranoid people that think our store or its employees somehow steal their pin numbers

so they tell me they want to run it through as credit

why does its ask for my pin, I said credit

you select credit on the prompt, I do nothing

and pay attention when it asks if you want cash back its not over yet

and the people that tell me they are paying with visa or mastercard or whatever

I don't care what kind it is it means nothing
          Last edited by tenaciousb; 09-05-2006, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey
            Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

It actually happens to me quite frequently, not only do they wander off while waiting for the machine (it charges Credit only, not Debit) but they'll wander off while I'm ringing them up! We do it through a computer, an older computer, so it does take a few seconds. But, I shouldn't have remind them that they're being rung up.
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Ours are almost instantaneous. The only thing that holds the line is when people try to wonder off before answering "Cash back?" type questions, swipe it wrong, it clear and cancle the whole thing, argue with me that it went through or not after their card is denied, refuse to give ID when using credit... gah, there's so much..
              No, I do not work here, yes I am open, No, it is not free, every item we had "in the back" has been eaten by drunken sailors. Now that we've covered the basics, how may I help you?

Comment

We call it the "Oh look, a chicken!" syndrome. People are in the middle of doing something, or in the middle of a cinversation thread and...

...Oh look! A Chicken!

Mongo
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

why does it still ask me to sign!

Ok this is one annoying feature of the debit/credit machines at Wal-Mart. I think they've fixed it since then, since I haven't had this happen in a while.

Even if the card is denied, the screen still comes up that let's the customer sign for the card and then after they sign, it will let them know that the card has been denied, but I get a slip of paper on my end first saying that, that the register prints out.

Customers often got confused about this and asked why it still asked them to sign, but this one woman went berserk over it.

Me: "Your credit card was declined."
                  Customer: It's still asking me to sign.
                  Me: "I know, but your credit card was declined, signing it won't really do you any good."
                  Customer: *angry at this point* Just tell me one thing! Why is it still asking me to sign if my credit card got declined?
                  Me: *shows her the slip of paper saying so* "The system decides whether to approve the card while you're signing to save time, so the screen still comes up, but that doesn't mean it was approved."
                  Customer: *still doesn't get it, is dumb as a doorknob* "I don't understand! Why is it still asking me to sign! Can I at least sign!"
                  Me: "You can sign it, but it won't do you any good."
                  Customer: *signs it, the rejected screen comes up on her end of it now, and she realizes that I wasn't lying to her, but somehow, it's all my fault!* *shouting* "I still don't know why it asked me to sign! Did you charge me?"
                  Me: "It does that to save time, if you'd been charged, a receipt would have printed out."

At this point, I think she yelled at me one more time, I don't remember what she said, and then she left in a huff.

Comment

The Wonders of the PINpad Device

At each of the 5122 stores in my company's chain, we have a PINpad device at our register, not unlike those which exist *at every other modern store in the universe*.

I'll admit that each one works differently. But where's the magic store that all my customers are accustomed to where all you have to do is swipe your card (debit, included) and then just walk away???

I swear, I have to remind every third customer that he actually has to *pick his payment type* and then *APPROVE THE DAMN TRANSACTION!* You want us to just charge you whatever we feel like? How bout a $24 'self service' (no signature needed under $25 )? How do you like that, huh?

Maybe I should post a sign with instructions for using the PINpad device. Then customers will forget how to read. Then they won't realize that it's called a PINpad device, even if I put a "Hi, my name is PINpad device" sticker on the damn thing. Then they'll forget who they are. Then they'll forget how to speak English until their cell phone rings.
                    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth pbmods
                      Maybe I should post a sign with instructions for using the PINpad device. Then customers will forget how to read. Then they won't realize that it's called a PINpad device, even if I put a "Hi, my name is PINpad device" sticker on the damn thing. Then they'll forget who they are. Then they'll forget how to speak English until their cell phone rings.
                      And then there are the people who can't seem to figure out which button is chequing, despite the fact that it says either chq, cheque, or chequing on every single pad. Noone ever has problems finding savings, just chequing.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey
                        And then there are the people who can't seem to figure out which button is chequing, despite the fact that it says either chq, cheque, or chequing on every single pad. Noone ever has problems finding savings, just chequing.
                        We often have problems with customers accidentally selecting 'EBT' (foodstamps) instead of 'ATM' because they're looking for 'DEBIT', and guess what 'EBT' looks like?

In this case, definitely a UI design error.
                        "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                        -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

I can take pymts over the phone & it takes maybe 15 seconds for the card to go through. However, it can take me 60 seconds to finally get the confirmation number to the customer because I have to post the confirmation info in 2 different places, PLUS charge a $2 fee for taking the pymt over the phone instead of the customer using the automated system (no fee).

Thankfully, a lot of customers realize it may take a minute or 2 to get their confirmation # to them. Phew, glad for that.
                          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

I don't remember how I let this happen or what led to it involving a rounded amount, but when processing a cash transaction a customer walked away to look at other items, then called me over to ask about one (four feet away, so no issue about the register being left in the middle of a transaction even with others around). We go back to the counter and I forget if I've given her her change (I seem to recall her being due exactly $10--don't know why it would be a round number as if I had to get the largest bill separately, or maybe it was merely about that amount).

I told AM she distracted me and that's why I wasn't sure. Fortunately she worked nearby and agreed to come back after the drawer was counted if called. She was somber but not emotional (better than I might have managed in her position). The only part I distinctly remember is the AM wasn't upset at all (SM said he was a horrible AM but a great salesman, that's all he cared about and was cool with the rest of us) and that he said I did right after later that evening after finding the drawer was $10 over.
                            I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

lately our machines at work have been SUPER temperamental. what happens a lot is someone will run their debit/credit and the machine will ask all the questions it normally does, but the computer won't read it and the transaction won't run through. of course, we have to ask people to insert their card again and answer the questions again, and basically everyone asks if they'll be charged twice. i tell them they won't. the machine is being screwy and didn't read the information. no, they won't pay twice as much. if it does happen, which it never has, they can get it fixed. some people need extra reassurance though. like making me call a supervisor because i have no clue what i'm talking about. hella stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X