This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Blockbuster cut out of the music business

My same friend, the one I spoke of earlier on the Barnes & Noble thread, also used to do the same thing in Blockbuster, back when they also bought out several music stores. Back then, they bought out Turtles and I think Coconuts, places I used to buy tapes at, long before CD's came along. Shortly after, when CD's came along and Blockbuster was becoming the corporate video and music store giant, they started allowing you to sample CD's before you bought them.

This same friend would actually go in, ask to sample five or six CD's, and would spend the next few hours listening to these entire CD's. Then, every time he visited, it was "Well, I'm not interested in that one, but thanks for your time." They wised up and banned him from coming in after a few times of this.

This is why I think Blockbuster pulled out of the music business, at least in Florida. With their movie business, you can't view an entire movie and then decide you don't like it for free.

You can listen to just about any CD at BN, but you only get about 30 seconds of each song, just like if you were to listen to samples on the website.

OT, but this occurred to me yesterday, for some inexplicable reason: am I getting old because I can remember the first CD I ever owned? (The Lion King movie soundtrack; I was 19 and my brother gave it to me for my birthday to go with the CD player/stereo my parents gave me.)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Let's see, I was 22 when that film came out. I can't even remember the first CD I ever bought. I think it was Brooks & Dunn's first album.

And, 30 seconds of listening is reasonable, which is now what I believe most of the music stores are doing because of crap like that. Plus, many websites only let you hear samples of songs, instead of the entire one. (Yes, I know some people are still downloading songs for free, but that's another issue).
      Last edited by NightAngel; 03-23-2007, 06:01 PM. Reason: No need to quote- we just read it.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        OT, but this occurred to me yesterday, for some inexplicable reason: am I getting old because I can remember the first CD I ever owned? (The Lion King movie soundtrack; I was 19 and my brother gave it to me for my birthday to go with the CD player/stereo my parents gave me.)
        MINE TOO!!!! I got it exactly the same way Weird huh??

Ok, sorry to interrupt!
        Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

When I was like, eight or nine, I'd go to the BB and play the Sega Gensis they had set up.
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

OT, but this occurred to me yesterday, for some inexplicable reason: am I getting old because I can remember the first CD I ever owned?
            I remember the first RECORD that was given to me, and I'm only 20. I was the last person in the area to get a cassette player, and a CD player. I wasn't the last one to get an MP3 walkman though.
            And my favorite gaming system to date is the good old Atari. Still got it in mint condition. And you're complaining YOU feel old?
            Last edited by NightAngel; 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM. Reason: excessive quoting

Comment

Quoth UkyoKuonji2004 View Post
              I remember the first RECORD that was given to me, and I'm only 20.
              Geez...I'm 31! I don't remember what the first record was, but I had a ladybug record player! My brother had Snoopy. My favorites were Free to Be You and Me, and "Rubber Ducky" by Ernie, and "It's Not Easy Being Green" by Kermit. Oh, and "The Magic Garden" - who remembers that show? My parents used to have some old Bill Cosby on vinyl And I just this past Christmas got an iPod.

Hey SnapAddict - you're not my evil twin or something, are you?
              Last edited by NightAngel; 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM. Reason: excessive quoting
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh hey, you had a Muppets record, too? I'd play mine on my Rainbow Brite record player alllll the time. Wish I still had it....

Comment

Quoth UkyoKuonji2004 View Post
                  And my favorite gaming system to date is the good old Atari. Still got it in mint condition. And you're complaining YOU feel old?
                  Oh fine, be that way

I was moving some things out of my mother's house the other day. Anyone want to guess what was in one of the boxes? Yep, my stored Ataris--a 2600 and a 7800. Both had been carefully put away some time ago. Not sure if they still work. As if that wasnt' enough, I still have a TI 99-4/A too!

And no, I have no idea what the first CD or cassette I bought was.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

First cassette I bought - Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill
                    First CD I bought - Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

The first cassette I bought was U2's October.
                      The first CD was Lita Ford. When hubby and I got married and combined stuff, we both had that CD. Im guessing for entirely different reasons.

Comment

The first CD I ever bought was C+C Music Factory. (Hey, don't laugh!) I didn't even have a real CD player at the time, just a discman, so I could only listen to it through headphones.

The first cassette was a Duran Duran album. I forget the title, but it was the one "Union of the Snake" was one. I only bought a cassette of it because I dropped my record and broke it.
                        Random Doctor Who quote:
                        "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                        I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Hehe! My first CD was the Beauty and the Beast Soundtrack! Lion King soon followed!

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                            Let's see, I was 22 when that film came out. I can't even remember the first CD I ever bought. I think it was Brooks & Dunn's first album.

And, 30 seconds of listening is reasonable, which is now what I believe most of the music stores are doing because of crap like that. Plus, many websites only let you hear samples of songs, instead of the entire one. (Yes, I know some people are still downloading songs for free, but that's another issue).
                            I don't remember the first CD I bought, but I remember the last cassette tape I ever bought for a new music release

Flowers on the Wall by Eric Heverly, 1999

In turn, the first casette I bought was Weird Al Yankovich, in 3D, 1985.

And, yes, I remember the first LP I got, a Scooby Doo christmas one, 1983.....
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I'm only 23, but I remember my first CD. Dookie, by Green Day.
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X