Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first couple of times I got a machine calling me and asking me to hold, I was confused and dumbfounded.

We currently have a bunch of places calling us who try not to sound like telemarketers. Usually I just can't understand what they want with us.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A firm "I'm not interested, thank you" has always worked well for me, I never give them a chance for a rebuttal.

I HATE those machines.

Sadly though, I think they are used because some people are naive enough to not realize they're talking to an autodialer and believe it really is another person on the line.

Comment

I suspect that it's more to do with not wasting someone's time on the phone.

You can have people dialing out themselves - very poor usage of time.

You can have machines dialing people and when they answer, if there is no sales person available, cut them off. This means you can use far fewer employees.

You can do the above and instead of cutting people off, you have it asking people to wait for an announcement. I'm sure it was trialed and enough people held on until the pitch came to make it worthwhile installing those machines.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          I don't claim to be an expert on telemarketing, although I did follow the whole concept for awhile. Am I reading this right, that federal law actually requires a rebuttal? That's it's actually illegal for a telemarketer to follow the idea of "No means no?"
          You are right in the sence that there are a few states where rebutting is indeed illegal. It would actually show up on our screens, letter flashing "No Rebuttal State". There are also a few states that were called "No Rebuttal/Permission States" where we had to tell the customer what we are calling for and actually ask permission to continue with it. Any negative feedback is to be then considered a refusal and we had to exit the call. That is also Federal law, but most states do not have this law in effect and we have to give two rebuttals. I can't recall actually looking into this law so I wouldn't be able to find a link. We just followed the screens, and if it flashed "No Rebuttal State" and the script we get changes to something like "I would like to tell you about this great service called <service name> may I continue?" It is obviously a no rebuttal/permission state.
          But yeah, the Federal law decides which states to rebut and such. Everything comes back to it. So rebutting in a no rebuttal state is actually illegal like you say.
          Last edited by MadMike; 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post!!!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            You can do the above and instead of cutting people off, you have it asking people to wait for an announcement. I'm sure it was trialed and enough people held on until the pitch came to make it worthwhile installing those machines.
            Exactly. But we never actually used that automatic "Please wait for an important announcement" thing. Our computers were a little smarter than that(I can't believe what I'm saying XD). From what I could figure out, the computer tried to have a fraction of the TSR's waiting for a call coming in, so it's more fair to the customers to answer the phone and get a person on the other line 100% instead of having then have to wait for a minute or more for one of us to be availiable. I think our approach makes more productivity. Think about it, if everyone we call just hung up on us, how long do you think we would be there until we're out looking for another job? There are people who buy what we offer. Most TSR's I've known tried not to confuse. Granted, there were others that would sell their souls for a sale, but they're few where we are.
            I hope I'm giving a clear explanation of all this. The only way for you to understand completely is to work there.
            Last edited by MadMike; 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting, again.

Comment

Quoth starla671 View Post
              You have my deepest sympathy! I did telemarketing for AT&T years ago when I was pregnant, and I got yelled at, cursed out, basically treated like garbage. There were many times that I sat at my cubicle crying!
              Ho boy, lots of replies for me XD

I've seen many a person quit because of what you said. And one person I knew at work was pregnant while there. She could have got a misscarriage from those rude people she talked to. Which is one of the many reasons why I hated that job. One of the people that sat next to me used to go into tears every time someone bad mouthed her. So if anyone here remembers badmouthing a girl with a slight Irish accent and a gentle and quiet voice, be prepared for my wrath! She used to get stomach sick when she walked in the building because she was so stressed out!

Comment

Quoth UkyoKuonji2004 View Post
                But yeah, the Federal law decides which states to rebut and such. Everything comes back to it. So rebutting in a no rebuttal state is actually illegal like you say.
                OK, you've supported the idea that federal law allows rebuttals where the state laws don't forbid it. But I'm still interested in the federal law you mentioned earlier that requires it.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  OK, you've supported the idea that federal law allows rebuttals where the state laws don't forbid it. But I'm still interested in the federal law you mentioned earlier that requires it.
                  In the no rebuttal states it is considered an illegal action if a TSR rebuts a customer. In the other states if they don't make two rebuttals(or at least notably attempt to) they could get fined and such, so in those states it is a requirement to make two rebuttals.

Comment

Not a legal requirement, then, but a company requirement - correct?

Had me scratching my head there.

Rapscallion

Comment

I find it like dealing with a guy that got your number from a mean friend who gave it to him, then he won't take no for an answer.

"No!"
                      "But I beg you to reconsider...."
                      "Hells no!"
                      "Please listen and give me a chance to explain...."
                      "For the love of God read my lips....N O !"
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I did telemarketing for a whole 3 days. 1.5 days of training, half day of calling on the second day, half day where i went home sick and half day when i quit.

I got physically ill from calling people. It's just not in my nature, which SUCKED because I was good at it. I have a pleasant phone voice. No one was ever rude to me.

of course, I probably would have been fired sooner or later, because I couldn't make myself rebuttle.

Comment

Quoth UkyoKuonji2004 View Post
                          So if anyone here remembers badmouthing a girl with a slight Irish accent and a gentle and quiet voice, be prepared for my wrath!
                          Oh HELL no.... You don't fuck with the Irish.... Pretty accent, don't make the pretty accent cry....

Comment

I did it for a whole 2.5 months. It sucked. Badly. And I was actually selling something useful. No respect for the newspaper anymore, I tell ya.
                            Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

All due respect, but I just do not believe that a federal law requires telemarketers to force a hardsell on consumers. I'm thinking your company requires it, and maybe even tells you all that you must do it by law so they don't look like a bunch of pushy evil jerks. But a federal law that requires a salesman to force an unsolicited and unwanted salespitch at a consumer against their wishes?

I'm calling BS on that. Sorry. Just do not believe it. Understand me, I'm not accusing you of lying. I'm just saying I believe that someone is lying to you.

Allthough this "telemarketers are compelled by their bosses to argue back when told no" thing has given me a good idea about how to have a little fun next time I get a call (which admittedly, is not very often as I am on the NDNC registry and have caller ID). I think I will ask the telemarketer to put their supervisor on the phone and tell them I want to hear him beg me. I mean, after all, isn't that basically what they are doing when they try to bulldoze over you when you decline? But I want to asshole who makes the telemarketers do this to be the one to do the smooching.

Comment

Um...I'm an inside sales rep w/ a major office supply company. I cold call businesses. I'm good at my job, I like my job, and I work damn hard for the very good money I make.

Comment

Working...
                                X