Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you trying to return it AGAIN?

I really shouldn't be surprised there are people this stupid in the world.
    A few weeks ago a nice customer picked up her special order book. It was pretty damned expensive and had to be specially shipped in from the UK. She browsed in our store afterwards for a bit, then left.
    A few hours later a guy tried to return a book which in our system is a non returnable book. You know, like a book SPECIALLY SHIPPED IN FROM THE UK.
    The manager on duty J said no, sorry, he was told it was non returnable when he bought it and he didn't have a receipt anyways. Guy leaves.
    Well the nice customer calls an hour later and luckily J picked it up.
    While browsing in our store, her book had disappeared from her bag! She had come directly home after leaving our store and it wasn't in her bag anymore.
    It dawns on J with horror that the book that guy had tried to return was THIS WOMAN'S BOOK!! We only had 1 copy in our store ever, so there was no way this was a coincidence.
    J tells the woman we'll be on the lookout, and call her if anything occurs. She tells everyone to be on the lookout.
    Today a guy comes in with a book he says he bought for a friend, who doesn't want it anymore. I wasn't helping him, but I was on the till next to him and the title caught my eye. I pulled up the email J had sent, and this was the book!
    Genius was in trying to return it AGAIN!
    His story kept changing as he talked to the cashier. His buddy didn't want it. Can we buy it back? Well, actually his buddy bought it, but wants to sell it to someone. Will someone buy it for 30 bucks? And so on.
    Eventually he said he found it in Wal Mart and wanted to know if he could sell it to us. Then he says his buddy found it in Sears and could he get cash for it?
    And so on, less coherant as time passes.
    Meanwhile I had called security, the Assistant Manager, and another manager.
    I interrupted the guy's ramblings, ( I think he was a crackhead) and said that the Assistant manager was on his way to help him out.
    When the assistant manager gets there, I blatantly show him the email about the stolen book, and he looks at the guy, who stutters and says 'Uh, yeah I uh found this and would like to return it to its um rightful owner...'
    Left pretty darn quickly after that.
    The rightful owner is very happy we got it back. She is picking it up tomorrow and understands that she has to verify the phone number we have for her in our records.
    Don't want to have another incident again.

Yup - sounds like proof that crack doesn't smoke itself.

I'm curious as to what book it is, now. Most publishers have a trans-atlantic agreement for publishing books on both sides of the pond - usually different publishing houses working together.

Rapscallion

Comment

I believe it was a book that was going out of print, and none of our North American distributors had any, but a UK one did.

Comment

Working...
      X