This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captured on film! Or so I thought...

Last night, we had ANOTHER thief. This one was a petrol (gas) drive off. And a deliberate one. There were a few people in the car, all of them wearing baseball style caps in a way that their faces were mostly covered.

One of them came in to get cigarettes... and was filmed. Both inside, and outside. I'm not sure if they thought that we didn't have cameras outside, which we do. Hopefully they captured the car and got a clear shot of the number plate... Which we got written down, and witnessed by a few people.

The reason why it may not be recorded is that there was a power outage on the shift before mine... Which means that, while the cameras still work, the computer that records the footage would have gone down...

The police managed to get the car pretty quickly, and took the group to the station. Allegedly, (heard second hand from one of the other staff) the driver was drunk, and has been charged with that. So that's a bonus.

But they have asked for the footage, which I thought we would have available. Hopefully, we still do. And hopefully the guys confessed to the act as well.

Yet another thing I'll have to find out about when I can. It's sure been one of the more interesting weekends this week.
    3 Basic rules for ordering food.
    - Order from the menu.
    - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
    - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Gas pumps in Arizona have been prepay or pay at the pump for decades now. So while it solves the problem of gas drive offs, it does nothing for the beer thieves who kill a clerk for 3 suitcases of beer.

(Just happened here last weekend) 3 loser low lifes shot a clerk to death because he dared chase them as they ran out of the store. I hope they all receive swift trials and the death sentence and it would be nice for once if the wheels of justice did not take 20 years and 63 appeals before sticking the needle of death in their loser lowlife veins .

Comment

While that's horrible and they deserve the seven levels of hell descending upon them, it does demonstrate the foolishness of chasing them out the door.

They rob you and leave? Consider yourself lucky. Stay put, call cops.

Comment

I like New Jersey's gas station setups. FULL SERVICE! It's kind of hard to steal gas when a worker is doing it instead of you. I mean, you are surrounded by a bunch of workers.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth CherryB
          it does nothing for the beer thieves who kill a clerk for 3 suitcases of beer.
          One of my college acquaintances was gunned down in North Carolina while working in a gas station in 2004. The guy was on a killing spree. The killer was caught in Florida (I think) after murdering a cop in South Carolina. I hope he seriously gets taken down.
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Thankfully, whilst power outages in the UK are rare compared to the USA, the default state when our CCTV system comes back on is recording. So as soon as the power comes back on, the VCR is recording. You would think this to be the case with all CCTV systems, but i suppose these fancy computerised recorders have to be reprogrammed.

Comment

Quoth Crafty1289
              Thankfully, whilst power outages in the UK are rare compared to the USA, the default state when our CCTV system comes back on is recording. So as soon as the power comes back on, the VCR is recording. You would think this to be the case with all CCTV systems, but i suppose these fancy computerised recorders have to be reprogrammed.
              This is why we smart computer Users buy UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, a.k.a. 'Battery Backup') devices! Why they don't actually incorporate UPS into computer power supplies, I'll never know.
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth Greenday
                I like New Jersey's gas station setups. FULL SERVICE! It's kind of hard to steal gas when a worker is doing it instead of you. I mean, you are surrounded by a bunch of workers.
                I've heard stories of driveoffs even here in NJ. It's just harder to accomplish, that's all...
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Someone should invent something that makes a customers vehicle stay put until the gas has been paid for.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl
                    Someone should invent something that makes a customers vehicle stay put until the gas has been paid for.

Spike strips or something that makes the pump lock into the car until paid for.... HOWEVER, people would still try and likely rip the pumps up.

Comment

The silliest drive off I've ever experienced was that someone once put fuel in their car, but instead of putting the nozzle back in place, they placed it on the ground, so it wouldn't notify that they'd finished.

Naturally the boss was pretty suprised that they'd think this would work.
                      3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                      - Order from the menu.
                      - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                      - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl
                        They have: Prepay only.

Comment

I thought I was the only person who thought the tire slasher idea was a good idea. But hey, great minds think alike! Wouldn't that be great! But you're right, some kaniving thief would try and find a way to unarm them.

Ever since gas prices have soared up and driveoffs have reached a sky high record, I have been very gung ho on making ALL gas stations either pay at the pump ONLY or full service. It wouldn't cause unemployment, because you'd still need cashiers to check people out for ciggs and other merchandise. If you make it pay at the pump only, you can make pump cards that have a certain amount of money on them.

Getting rid of the Pay Inside option would cut down on driveoffs SO MUCH. It is too hard to trust people with the Pay Inside option. It's just asking for driveoffs. Don't even give people the chance to pump and then pay. Make them use their credit/debit card, or have them buy a card that will work at the pump with a money value on it.

That'll cut it down a lot.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl
                            It's called decency and high moral fibre. Hey, just because it's been invented, doesn't mean that people use it.
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

In the county i live in all pumps are required to be prepay only

Comment

Working...
                              X