X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures In Cell Phones: The Charger

Heh, this gem occurred only yesterday.

Me; *Answering phone* Good morning, _____ Hardware, this is ___. How may I help you?
    "I need to speak to someone in ___ (electronics)."
    I work there also. What can I help you with?
    "I need a car charger for my cell phone. Do you know which one I need?"
    ....OK, what brand and model of phone do you have?
    "It is a Sony Ericson. I think it is also a QuikShare. How do I know what model I have?"
    It says under the battery.
    *Sounds of fumbling.*"I don't want to take the back off. This is a flip phone with a camera. Does that help?"
    OK...what style of charger do you have?
    "It plugs into the wall. It has to be electric. But I need one for the car, not the one I have now."
    *Blank. I was completely blank.* .................I mean, does your phone use a charger with a tip like a thick pin, a narrow rectangle with metal inside, or a bunch of short metal bits in a row?
    "Metal bits in a row."
    *Ah good, now we are getting somewhere.* OK, let me check and see if we have something like that.
    *Short time later.* I'm sorry, we don't seem to have any Sony chargers in stock. Would you like us to try and order one? *Crossing fingers -No, say no!*
    "No thanks, I'll try where I got the phone from."

This ranks up there with my other personal favorite conversations about cell phones;

*Customer brings in a Samsung Nimbus, barely three months old. Back is gone, gouges in battery, scratches in keys, face plate is cracked, gouges in phone body.* "Can you put my phone number into this older phone until I can buy another? The dog ate my new phone."

"I didn't know you had to push down that button to take the charger on and off the phone. Maybe thats why they get messed up so fast."
    Last edited by Strikesfirmly; 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM. Reason: Postscript.
    "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

If you don't know how the hell to identify your phone, why not just go to where you got it from in the first place, find out what you need, and then call around if you want to look for a better price. Or even just go into the store and let someone smarter than you look at the damn thing. How hard is that? Grr.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Strikesfirmly View Post

"I didn't know you had to push down that button to take the charger on and off the phone. Maybe thats why they get messed up so fast."
      I had a girl one time call in because, well, here you go:

SC: I need a new phone. This one is defected (a lot of people say this. It hurts my brain).
      ME: I'm sorry to hear that. What's the problem you're having with the phone?
      SC: Ok, I was charging it, then I took the charger out and it pulled the inside of the phone out with it.
      ME : The inside of the phone?
      SC: Yeah, the whole thing came out.
      ME: Uh... was it cracked in any way around the charger port when you plugged it in?
      SC: No, it wasn't broke or nothin.
      ME: *Looks up make/model of handset. One that I'm familiar with but never used.* Hmm, I don't know what would cause that. Hold for me a moment and I'll see what I can find out.
      SUP: What's up?
      ME: This customer pulled her charger out and it pulled the guts out with it. How could that happen?
      SUP: Hmm. *looks up her phone* Ah, I had one of these. Ask her if she squeezed the buttons on the side of the charger before taking it out. I'm guessing no. It has clips that hold the charger in place from the inside.
      ME: Oh, yeah, I've had some like that before (the device information doesn't show us what the charger looks like, just gives instructions on how to plug it in).
      ME: Thanks for holding. Now, when you took the charger out, did you press the buttons on the side first, or did you just pull it out.
      SC: That's funny that you mention it. Because it wouldn't come out, so I had to pull really hard.
      ME: But, you didn't press the buttons on the plug?
      SC: No, I only do that when plugging it into the phone.
      ME: I'm afraid this won't be covered by warranty.
      SC: Why not?
      ME: Because it's damaged.
      SC: Yeah, cause it's defected!
      ME:

Also, I've learned to avoid ever asking a customer what brand of handset they have. They always respond that it's (my company's name), the provider, not the manufacturer.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Defected? It escaped from Communist Russia?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Defected? It escaped from Communist Russia?
          Communist Russia is no more. It came from Cuba, and it didn't bring me any good cigars.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
            Communist Russia is no more. It came from Cuba, and it didn't bring me any good cigars.
            Did it bring any good baseball players?
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
              Did it bring any good baseball players?
              No. Those come from Puerto Rico.

Comment

I thought that's where football players come from.
                "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

That is funny as hell Kara. I wish I could get calls like that.
                  I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

I always love when people do these things to their phones and get all insulted that warranty won't cover it... especially when they didn't buy insurance.

Seriously, what the hell do people do to their cell phones?
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I'm so happy I paid for the insurance on my phone. Had an issue with it out of the warranty period and got it replaced for the deductible.

I had it for about two years, paid five bucks a month, and when I got it replaced for next to nothing, I was happy!

I can go without that extra $5 monthly. I don't know if I could drop $200 if I needed to unexpectedly.
                      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                        Well, my girlfriend's phone was hit by a car, since you asked. It was a flip phone and somehow fell out of her purse, bounced off the curb and into the street, where it dodged several cars before one of them clipped it (didn't flatten it) and it skittered back to the curb. She picked it up, barely scratched, and it worked for the next four or five months. It just died last week.

My phone, too, has survived countless drops. Though my m4d s0cc3r ski11z (read: can't play for shite, as proved by being geek enough to type "m4d s0cc3r ski11z") have saved it by catching it with my foot on the way down (read: punting it into next week).
                        "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

The only cell I've managed to break, I did so by chucking it directly at the wall, as I was ticked that my mother hung up on me.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                            I thought that's where football players come from.
                            I thought football players come from prison.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                              Oddly enough, I've been known to make and receive calls on mine.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X