This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a hint.

I use Panda Scan internet security on my computer. Since I resubscribed at the beginning of the year, the program hasn't been working correctly. It will, one by one, lock me out of my most used programs (and not letting me into the settings to change them back) effectively turning my computer into a giant wordprocessing paperweight. The first time this happened I was so angry and frustrated (and tired of being on hold) that I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Viola! It works....but for how long? A week.

I've done this a few times now, admittedly, mostly cause every time I call, no matter what time of day, I'm either talking to a machine, or on hold---for an average of 45 mins....I kinda give up after that. Fine, I can take a hint....where's that email address?

This is the message I sent them last week after I had just finished reinstalling again (just so I could use internet explorer to send them the email, cause it wouldn't let me use the mail that's set up within the program):

I am having problems with my firewall. It continually says there is an error, and randomly resets internet access, which eventually blocks me from the majority of my programs. When I go into settings to regenerate the list, or reset something, it will not allow me to. I have had to remove and reinstall the program multiple times now, the last time being the day before yesterday, and already it is acting up. None of this started happening until I resubscribed in January. I do not want to have to go through the hassle of getting my money back and shopping for a new program that will actually do what I want it to. Just a few minutes ago, I attempted to send you this mail through your tech support tab in the Panda program, and it would not allow it. Soon, my computer will be a giant paperweight again, with Panda not allowing me to do anything, and not allowing me to fix anything. Please be sure you email me back at ~~~~. Hopefully, I'll get your mail before it blocks me out of internet explorer, again.

And this is the tech support mail I just got from them:

Hello,

In order for you to completely remove Panda 2006 files from your system, please click on the following link to view the instructions on downloading and running Panda’s automated removal utility: (and in internet link).

Think I should just take the hint?

(And yes, I have tried the FAQ and Knowledge Base, etc. the majority of the time it gives me errors on every new page on that, too!)
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Sounds like they want you to completely remove the program with their utility (most likely because their integrated uninstaller is crap) and then try reinstalling. They didn't explain it very well though. It's pretty common to do this with Norton as well. I've heard of Panda AV, but have never used it other than their web scanner on occasion. If you are going to switch to something else I've recently been using NOD32 from Eset since I got a years subscription for $10. It doesn't have a firewall, but if you have a router which has an integrated firewall it's not really necessary. Apparently it has one of the best detection rates for AV programs out there.

Comment

The only experience I have with Panda was with the online scan, and it wasn't nice to my machine.

I'm thinking that you might have to completely strip Panda before you re-install to fix the issue you're encountering. There is nothing liked a munged security suite install to brick a computer.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Dump Panda. Just do it.

AVS works quite well.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Grisoft's AVG is great, and free.

Also, for spyware, Ad-Aware (Lavasoft) and SpyBot.

For current scans on the fly, there's always Symantic's http://housecall.antivirus.com

All free.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I'm one of those people who has reversed experience with AVG and Norton. Norton worked great for me for years, but AVG was nothing but a huge headache. Also, in more than one test comparison, they're about the same as far as effectiveness, and notably below several others.

My system is currently running AOL Active Anti Virus (Kasperski re-packaged and free), and Comodo firewall (which has some notable issues with some online games).

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth clowninasack View Post
              Sounds like they want you to completely remove the program with their utility (most likely because their integrated uninstaller is crap) and then try reinstalling.
              To me it sounds like the software they use to read your email and try an automated response caught the word "uninstall" and figured that's what you were trying to do.
              And since it sent it's little automated reply to you, there is an 80% chance that your email will never be viewed by a human unless you write back with "That didn't work."

I do appreciate that such automated systems can dramatically reduce the workload on expensively trained personnel by sifting out the idiots who can't red the manuals, but it also means that anyone who is haveing a real problem has to write at least twice to reach a human being.

Comment

Avast Me Hearties

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I'm one of those people who has reversed experience with AVG and Norton. Norton worked great for me for years, but AVG was nothing but a huge headache ^-.-^
                I use an antivirus call avast. I've used it for 4 years now and it's fantastic. It's low system resources and takes care of itself. Great for all the SC that encounter in my day to day.
                Hello, I'm a Mac. My global domination plans are almost complete.

It's On Like Donkey Kong.

Comment

Quoth Machero View Post
                  I use an antivirus call avast. I've used it for 4 years now and it's fantastic. It's low system resources and takes care of itself. Great for all the SC that encounter in my day to day.
                  Avast is pretty good. It usually scores well in comparisons, and is well-liked by users.

^-.-^

Comment

LOL I totally forgot about this post! Anyway, I got ahold of a tech guy, he went through some things with me. I forget what it was, but I wasn't getting some files or some crap correctly, but I reloaded it, and since then everything has been sunshine and daisies.

I really do like their service, and it was very nice and went very quickly once I got ahold of a real person.
                    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I used Panda for about two years, but had the same problem. Not only was the program locking me out of different applications, but it was also slowing my computer down greatly. Heck the 2nd application I had on my laptop completely crashed the system. I went in and deleted panda, then restarted, and the laptop went right to windows. Panda was once a great program, but it has been slipping in years. I'm now useing NOD32, and will continue to do so until something that works better comes along.
                      "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Working...
                      X