This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to see the wizard

Customers who are relatively young and claim to use computers every day have no excuse to not understand at least the basic functions, like how to change a web address, what version of Windows they use (and no, double-paned is NOT the answer I'm wanting), or if they go to our or any website or get their emails through a program like Outlook Express. Simple things. I am, however, a lot more understanding with elderly customers who simply obtained computers for the purposes of talking to their children who seem to have an aversion to visits and phone calls. The technology is alien to them and can be a lot to take in. But again, if you're willing to learn and look around, you'll always find a teacher.

My customer was an elderly gentleman living somewhere in the "bread-basket" portion of the south, where the bulk of our customers call in from. The company I work for is huge and covers around 17 states or so, and is constantly expanding and buying out other service providers. The last biggest one we had bought out was C-- Communications, and several customers were frustrated at the changes in the conversion. But that conversion took place several months before my customer called in, so surely he's had ample time to cope... Right?

Me: theSannie, the brave little techie
    OM: Old Man

Me: Good afternoon and thank you for calling S--------k Communications, my name is theSannie and I can help you!
    OM: Well sweetheart, maybe you can, maybe you can't. I can't get online.
    Me: I can help you with that. Let me just take a look at a few things and we'll get this all figured out.

I pull up his modem and take a look; the device is online with a good IP address, great speeds and solid signals. It says it's been online consistantly for the last 57 days and some odd hours.

Me: Well, sir, according to this, your modem is currently connected and online. When was the last time you were able to connect.
    OM: Not since S--------k took over C-- six months ago.
    Me: //_o

In his notes, the last time he called was when the conversion took place. He's current on his bill and hasn't called since. I wonder as to why it's taken him six months to call in about it, but who knows with some people.

Me: Okay sir, let's get crackin'. Go ahead and click on Internet Explorer. What message comes up when the page loads?
    OM: It's asking me for a user-name and password to sign in, and I keep tryin', but it just won't go through. Do you know what logon information I need?

Well, our company provides cable internet which doesn't need a user name or password to connect to the internet with, so it sounds like he used to have dial-up, which isn't very odd as we tend to service many of the smaller-market towns in these states. But I'm pretty good at what I do, so I should be able to fix this.

Me: Well sir, our services are cable internet and we don't use a username or password; you should just be able to click on your web browser and be set to go, so let's check your settings.

And we go through it. His internet options are set to "Never Dial a Connection," his computer is showing the good ip address, I can ping him, he can ping out, he's only using the ethernet cord as opposed to ethernet and usb simultaneously, his version of Windows is up to date... There's nothing wrong as far as I can tell. After renewing his local area connection, adjusting his TCP/IP settings, releasing his IP address, rebooting his computer and power cycling his modem and coax cable, we start up the computer again only to see the same request for username and password. It's been well over thirty minutes and I'm nearly at my wit's end. The old man, thankfully, is calm, if not a little bored. Finally, I ask him to fully describe the message to me.

Rather than being a little box, it's the whole browser window and it's a dark cranberry color with the sign-on stuff in the middle. No links, no other buttons, Then a thought comes to me, as though the powers that be felt a twinge of compassion and pity for me.

Me: Sir, look up toward the top of your browser. Do you see a long white bar with a tiny blue E in it?
    OM: Yes, I do.
    Me: And do you see the letters 'HTTP' in there also?
    OM: You bet, plain as day.
    Me: Good, good. Read the letters that come after it to me, would you please?
    OM: H T T P colon slash slash, dubya dubya dubya dot wemail dot c-- dot com. Nothin's changed, hon! That's the same dat-gum message I been gettin' for the past six months!
    Me: ..........Sir? That's a webmail address. You're online. (Much like how the Wizard pointed out that each of them had what they were looking for within themselves and that Dorothy had always been able to go home, this old man had, in fact, been online all along.)
    OM: Huh? No I'm not.
    Me: Yes, you are. That sentence you read to me is an address for email. When you were with C--, did you have an email address with them?
    OM: Yeah, so?
    Me: So, this is the address to log into their email. But you don't HAVE email or services with them anymore, so your login information no longer WORKS there. You probably have this set as your home page so it comes up whenever you start up the internet.
    OM: Well why didn't you change it when you took over my services?

He's starting to sound a little cross at this point, so I needed to work quickly to soothe his old and ruffled feathers. Over the next several minutes I teach him how to highlight the web address and delete it, a feat that proves to be very challenging as it takes several attempts. Once deleted, I direct him to our company's website for customers, Google, his city's local news website, as well as set that as his new homepage. I had solved his problem - he was now able to surf the internet and knew that he was, in fact, online. Problem solved, until...

Me: And that's that, sir! You're online and the more you play with it the more familiar you'll get with how to use everything. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    OM: Well, no, I guess not, and thank you for showing me these places to go. I'll be sure to use 'em. But one more question.
    Me: Sure, what's that?
    OM: I can go to these websites at any time, but how do I know if I'm online?
    Me: ....*head-desk*

~the end~

Quoth theSannie View Post
    Me: ....*head-desk*

~the end~
    Dies

Laughing with an asploding head hurts.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

There are people in front of you, waiting for the same thing you're waiting for.

oh sorry, that's how you know you're in line.

Comment

OM: Well, no, I guess not, and thank you for showing me these places to go. I'll be sure to use 'em. But one more question.
        Me: Sure, what's that?
        I've encountered those myself. My father was in the army about 40 years ago, and part of what he did required they train him to use the computers of the day. He knows the military always has better computers than civilians. He knows the army trained him to use their computers. So he assumes that even 40 years later, he knows everything there is to know about computers based on his old army training.

I've tried many times to explain things to him, but he always assumes I'm mistaken (I work in IT) and that he knows best. He can't tell me what HTTP stands for, or why he needs a router to connect 3 computers to his cable modem. But even so, he knows best and will lecture me at great length to "respect my elders and recognize his superior expertise".

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
          He knows the military always has better computers than civilians.
          He's wrong there, military computers are at least two generations behind the latest technology. By then it's been around long enough to be deemed stable enough for military use.

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
            I've encountered those myself. My father was in the army about 40 years ago,
            I think that's the magic phrase. At that point, the military would have the best of everything, because... little else existed.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
              "respect my elders and recognize his superior expertise".
              Just tell him: "Respect is to be earned, not given."
              My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

40 years ago the military would have the best because all that was around was UNIVAC's and the mainframes the military used to give us a few minutes warning we were about to be melted by communist nukes

Comment

I started working with computers almost 50 years ago, literally with the first generation of commercially available machines - an IBM 650 with rotating drum memory. I have worked with and around computers for most of my life. All that means is that I know a lot of very outdated stuff. The good old days were indeed pretty good, but they are also pretty old. I don't spend much mind-time back there.

Comment

Dads are like that. Mine doesn't want to update his spyware or virus defs...and then wants to bitch to *me* about it. Last time I checked, updating them once every 5 years or *never* isn't enough! He's been using computers since the 1970s (CP/M, DOS, Basic, etc.) He's gone from Xerox workstations (complete with 8" floppies and daisy-wheel printers) to Pentium-based machines and laser printers. Even though he considers himself to be an expert...if I hear him call AOL "the internet" or starts screaming about why his computer runs slower than a 286...
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Dads are like that. .... He's been using computers since the 1970s (CP/M, DOS, Basic, etc.) .... starts screaming about why his computer runs slower than a 286...
                      Extraneous stuff edited out of the quote. Next time he starts screaming about his computer running slower than a 286, ask him how powerful his car's engine is. Then, tell him that a lot of Peterbilt 379s have over 500 horsepower, and ask him if this means that the Pete with 40,000 pounds of cargo in the trailer should be faster than his car.

The reason his computer is running slower than a 286 is that it's hauling a lot more stuff (bloated operating systems, etc.) than the older, less-powerful machine ever did.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It doesn't matter what I tell him. He simply thinks that just because he *has* the antivirus and spyware software...that he's protected. Never mind that both haven't been updated since about 1998 or so. Some of it, is because he thinks he knows best, and doesn't like younger people "one-upping" him. When he goes on his rants, I just leave him to his own devices
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Put it in the way of booster shots.

After all, you have to get boosters on some of your immunizations, right? Same thing with antivirus. Only instead of once every 10 years, it's more like once every 10 hours.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X