This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kristev View Post
    Reminds me of an old commerical about a handy-dandy computer repair self-help website as a company's solution to computer breakdowns. The problem, of course, is that handy-dandy self-help websites are utterly useless if one's computer isn't working to begin with.
    Same logic used by my old ISP (aka HellSouth DSL) when they started their Support Tool software that's supposed to diagnose issues w/the internet connection.

Doesn't work if the internet connection is NOT working. How's that for irony?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Similar to other posters, I'm offended that this is treated like it ought to be a freebie, since you are "only looking at it".

Now, I fed myself for 3 years by freelancing computer support, and coming over to your house to "just look at something" does not put ramen in my bowl or kibble in Mr. Kitten's. There's a reason why Geek Squad charges a fee just to come to your house or office. I used to keep Geek Squad and FireDog price brochures in my work laptop case just so I could show people how much lower my prices were than their's.

I still do support for family, friends, and acquaintances, and I think I'm reasonable. I do like that it lets me buy the occasional surprise shiny for Mrs. Salesmonkey. I'm very careful, though, to comprehensively quote prices before I even touch your machine. So much for just tweaking your system and making sure all your software and antivirus is up to date and working. Extra if I have to crack the case. Although I'll probably vacuum out your dust for free and just not tell you. Memory upgrades are free, but you have to buy the memory and bring it to me.

A comprehensive back-up of your files is MUCH more expensive that the price of DVDs because I will have to look at your files in the process and I have seen too many naked ugly people. I'd much rather teach you how to put your stuff in an encrypted volume before I have to deal with it.

So the hidden danger in "just look at it" is that I WILL have to look, and I will probably find your "private" snaps in the process and I would rather not. Like the original poster, I would rather not look at all.
      "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
        I used to keep Geek Squad and FireDog price brochures in my work laptop case just so I could show people how much lower my prices were than their's.give them someone to call if they got too SCish.
        btdt TOO many times to leave that unfixed for ya'

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
        So the hidden danger in "just look at it" is that I WILL have to look, and I will probably find your "private" snaps in the process and I would rather not. Like the original poster, I would rather not look at all.
        I made a handy little batch file that did a global s&c for the bulk of user generated files (jpg, doc, DSCXXX.*, etc. etc.) and archived 'em. Always my first move on any new client's machine. Good opportunity for a smoky treat too.

Comment

A bit O/T, but is there a non-junk device out there that does what the Magic Jack is supposed to (use broadband-equipped computer to run an ordinary phone) that works with fax machines? It would be VERY convenient to be able to send a fax from my truck (using WiFi or a "rocket stick") instead of having to find a truck stop and pay a couple bucks a page
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Would something like this work for what you are trying: http://www.maxemail.com/? I know there are several email to fax services you can use if you want to use something like a hand scanner to scan your documents first.

Comment

Yeah, you kind of got saved on Magic Jack, I love my magic jack, it is a great device, if you can get it to work. But, that is the caveot emptor, you have to know enough about computers to get it to work, and you kind of need to have a computer that is used only for that. I would hate to have to become the troubleshooter for someone else's magic jack.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
              X