This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on WiMAX...

My local provider has recently issued an offer of a laptop with WiMAX (it's an HP Compaq Presario 6405 something or other... basic machine, but all I require is speakers and the ability to multitask with my browser, a word processor, and irfanview - a fancier Paint-type program).

Now I've read up a bit on WiMAX service, and I've ascertained that it's quite stable within urban areas (there are 124 cities in Canada that currently offer it) and within some rural areas. As I live in the nation's capital and don't much travel outside of it, I'm satisfied with that.

The reason I'm posting is that I wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience with the WiMAX service (it's available throughout Canada and the US) or if there are any bad, evil things I'm not aware of before I sign up for this.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

okay.... can I at least get someone's thoughts on the laptop? It's an HP Compaq Presario 6405a. I couldn't find one at the store
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Compaqs are cheaply made. I don't know if they're any better now that HP has bought them, but my guess is probably not. My advice would be pass that sucker up.
      Last edited by Shabo; 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM. Reason: I missed a woid...
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

My first laptop was a compaq, it lasted 4 years. I bought it for like $699, but that was 4 going on 5 years ago. It still works to this day.

It's probably like the $349 Gateway we're selling.

512mb or RAM, Windows Vista Basic, 80GB Hard drive, Intel Celeron Processor...

So basically, a nightmare.
        When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Well, regardless of what kind of laptop you get, it might last for a few years, or it might last for a few days. I am simply saying that Compaqs are not known for having high quality. And yes, if they are giving it away (or selling it so cheap it seems that way) then chances are it's made entirely of refurbished parts and some essential component of it will probably fail on you pretty quick. Entirely not worth it.
          The Office

Comment

They're brand new laptops... it's the HP Compaq Presario 6405a. It's not even in most stores yet. It's definitely not refurbished.

And they're not "giving" it away. You pay your basic $35 for the wireless wide-range internet (somewhat like cell tower reception, from what I understand), and then you pay an additional $30/month for the laptop. It's just a combination offer. Seems to be worthwhile for me (I only need a laptop so I can work from the library on weekends, and for that, I need to be connected), but it's not available to current high-speed customers for some reason *growl*
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I've got a compaq. Got it 2 years ago, on sale. Only problems I've had with it were these:
              1. I accidentally popped off the x key, and couldn't get it back on myself
              2. It was starting to be more than a little warm after being on for a while.
              Those two issues were solved with a quick visit to my warranty shop.
              3. The left click is starting to act funky. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it double clicks. That wasn't solved during warranty work.
              4. It was cheap, so it's slow as mud when running more than one thing at a time, and I like to run Outlook, Opera, AIM, Word, and sometimes a few miscellaneous programs at the same time.

Seems to me that out of 4, two are ones that are my fault, and the other two you aren't necessarily going to run in to.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                Well, regardless of what kind of laptop you get, it might last for a few years, or it might last for a few days. I am simply saying that Compaqs are not known for having high quality.
                Actually, when it comes to quality, I'd put them middle of the road. They are sturdy entry-level laptops. Great for people who say, "I just want to connect to the internet and listen to music." They aren't super machines, but they hold up really well.
                When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

If you had specs, we could tell you if it was really worth it. Also, how much you would be paying for it. I tried a google search for the model number and came up with nothing. Also, just because a laptop is being sold as brand new does not mean that it isn't made with refurbished parts.
                  The Office

Comment

well, I'm pretty happy with the specs. I was more concerned with known issues, etc. especially with the wireless service. Either way, I don't qualify for the offer, since I'm an existing high-speed DSL customer. Yup, that's right. The offer is only valid for people who don't yet have their service. It's called "let's screw our existing customers".
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      well, I'm pretty happy with the specs. I was more concerned with known issues, etc. especially with the wireless service. Either way, I don't qualify for the offer, since I'm an existing high-speed DSL customer. Yup, that's right. The offer is only valid for people who don't yet have their service. It's called "let's screw our existing customers".
                      No, that's a "let's get more customers in without giving a thought to whether or not our existing customers are going to get pissed that they don't qualify for the deal!"

Companies do that an awful lot, but they are starting to wind down on that since they realize it's cheaper to keep customers happy than it is to constantly gain new ones.
                      The Office

Comment

Working...
                      X