This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD problem

I feel stupid. I should be able to figure this out, but I can't.

I finally bought an external HDD. It works fine. The light is on, I can transfer files over, all that jazz.

However, it will not show up under My Computer. All the other drives are there, but not this one.

I installed, then rebooted. Nothing.

I have type run -->K: to access the HDD.

How can I make it appear in My Computer, or better yet, on my desktop?

I feel so stupid. I should be able to figure this out, but am having a senior moment I guess.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Quoth Knightmare View Post
    However, it will not show up under My Computer. All the other drives are there, but not this one.
    Win XP? What's the story when you go to Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management? (Or RUN --> diskmgmt.msc) Do you have any network drives mapped?
    Last edited by sms001; 09-29-2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Stupid question: Have you scrolled down? I've seen XP split the drives into types, and put USB drives way down low.

I doubt that's it, but I hope it is. Would be the easiest fix at least

Comment

Nope, not there. The good news is that I made a shortcut onto my desktop. The bad news is that I don't remember how I made the shortcut.
        Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

Comment

The only time I've seen that is when the drive itself is bad (and I go though a lot of USB (modified and unmodified) drives a day. They all show up in My Computer.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Hmm...you've got a wierd one, Knightmare. Congrats!

What about copying the shortcut into the My Computer window?
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Question: Did you buy a normal external HD with a normal "A to B" USB connection? Or did you buy an NAS external HD?

Comment

The HDD has a "normal" USB connection, yes (one regular end, one mini-end)
                The other day I swapped it out for another one. Brought that one home and hooked it up (after uninstalling the other one).
                Same problem

I called Seagate tech support, told them my problem, and then after tier 1 couldn't help, was transferred to tier 2.
                He told me that there was probably something wrong with my computer and that I should do a non-destructive system restore. I did that yesterday.
                Still won't show up.

*sigh* so there is probably something majorly wrong with my computer. I must have deleted some really important file a while ago.

Maybe I should just backup what I want, and do a full system restore?

Or should I just get Vista? haha! NO.

Comment

There might not be anything wrong with your computer. Other folks have this problem too. Here's some support links provided when I googled Seagate external drive not showing "My Computer":

This first one might be something to look at.
                  http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio...hp/t37252.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...152201553.html
                  http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...237643&start=0
                  http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...sageID=2312396

Hope something here helps. If not, google the terms I used, there were pages and pages of stuff.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Another idea, is the panel it'd normally be under 'hidden' / 'collapsed'? Look for little downward triangles along the side of My Computer
                    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

HDD problem fixed!
                      And all I had to do was back up my pictures, music, files, etc by dragging it to the shortcut for the ext. HDD. Then, I did a complete system ("Destructive") restore.
                      Some how, some where, some time I must have deleted a file I shouldn't have.

So I now have a empty int HDD and a really empty ext HDD. 750 GB of storage!
                      Yeah baby!

But thanks for your help and advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                      X