X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More RAM for Me!

Yeah I did it all by myself!

OK I know installing a 512 RAM in a empty slot is no big deal for most folks,
    but most of my computer knowledge is from programming classes in the mid 80's.

And no way were the letting high school kids play around with the brand new equipment.
    Last edited by ParkingWitch; 10-27-2007, 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Good for you. Why not let the high school kids play around with your computer? Most kids these days are very good with computers.

Comment

Congratulations.

Now you can learn to make other modifications yourself.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A link for any of you out there that are thinking of adding more RAM to your system/laptop.

http://18004memory.com/

Sometimes, some of those older (3-4 year old) systems can't handle a faster speed, bigger stick of RAM. Check first, & save yourself the hassle

And.... A second site to crossreference it with.

http://kingston.com/
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

That was the first upgrade I attempted myself as well. It was back in '96, and I upgraded my old piece of crap Packard Bell from 8MB to 16MB. It's one of the simplest things you can do, but I was so nervous that when I turned it back on, I took several huge steps backwards. Not only did it not blow up or burst into flames, it worked perfectly.

These days, I can do any repair or upgrade, and even build them from scratch sometimes.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
            Sometimes, some of those older (3-4 year old) systems can't handle a faster speed, bigger stick of RAM. Check first, & save yourself the hassle
            I triple checked it and printed out Dell's spec sheet to take to the store with me.
            The wonderful fellow at Office Max walked me over and found the perfet thing and double read the spec sheet against the packaging info. And Yes even he commented about DDR being more expensive than DDR2. I really need to write a Thanks / Great Job note.

Quoth gregmaddux17 View Post
            Most kids these days are very good with computers.
            Only works if you know some kids.

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
            programming classes in the mid 80's.
            And no way were the letting high school kids play around with the brand new equipment.
            These were terminals attached to the brand new main frame. I was in the very first comp. classes at my school. Programming in Basic and Cobal.

Quoth MadMike View Post
            These days, I can do any repair or upgrade, and even build them from scratch sometimes.
            I may get there some day, but not soon.
            Meeeeoooow.....
            Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Hey, if MadMike can do it, anyone can!

I kid! don't hurt me!
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I triple checked it and printed out Dell's spec sheet to take to the store with me.
                Hooray! Responsible, educated purchases! Hooray!

And Yes even he commented about DDR being more expensive than DDR2.
                Yes, the pricing life of technology goes high-low-high, basically because when it's new they are trying to recover research and development costs, then it goes low because of all the companies competing for business plus they have recovered some of their initial costs plus they figure out ways to make it cheaper and more efficiently plus they have new technology they are coming out with soon so they try to get rid of most of their inventory, then it goes high again because they are losing money producing/storing older inventory than if they were to produce/store the newer, faster selling stuff and they figure if you are that desperate to fix/upgrade your old machine, you can pay what they tell you (because there's little competition at that point). Ok, business economics 101 over.

When you're ready, we're here to help!
                Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                The Office

Comment

My first memory upgrades were plugging chips into sockets to upgrade 512K graphics cards to 1MB.
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

My hubby is a computer tech and he's made sure I know how to do stuff like insert memory sticks, etc. He has made me watch him build several computers while he explains it. My response is usually, "Wow! Look at all those wires! Can I touch this? Or this? What if I put this here?"
                    Sometimes he doesn't find me as amusing as I find myself... I don't know why...

I probably know just enough to be utterly dangerous.
                    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                    HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
                    X