Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly clueless computer question...

So one my few important "work" possessions is a 2 GB USB Flash drive that I carry every where on a key chain and use every day at work. It contains not only backups for personal documents, but more importantly a password manager that I use for a number of key programs while at my desk.

Anyway, for some reason the USB Flash drive seems to have died. Its "activation" lights - a small set of blue lights on the rear of the drive that flash when the drive is being used - no longer operate. Even worse, when I manually locate the drive on the computer and try and open it that way (instead of the autoload I usually get) it asks me if I want to format the drive.

There's no physical damage to the flash drive and I haven't changed or updated any of the items on the flash drive itself, so I'm at a loss to explain what has happened.

Any thoughts or suggestions on ways to try and recover the data on the flash drive? Fortunately I have most of the critical material backed up, but it has been at least a week and will be rather annoying to figure out what's missing and what isn't.

Thanks...
    Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Moved to tech help.

This is where the techies lurk!

Rapscallion

Comment

Hi!
      Try going here:
      http://www.z-a-recovery.com/info_zar32.htm

Or here:
      http://www.findmysoft.com/Memory_Sti...-download.html

Warning these solutions cost money!

This is the best free solution I have found before:
      http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Recovery.html

Judging by your description the device can be read but is giving a false 'unformatted' notice. The above link (free one) can get data from this.

I have a few other pieces of software (computer forensics grade) that I can use even after a quick format - or any data that hasnt been written over at a physical level. I had to use it for a 180GB HDD of mine and it took about a week to physically read every bit and piece it all together - all I lost was a gig of music and a very univeristy assignments.

Hope I helped!
      SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
      ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
      and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

For $45, I found this

The other thing you can try is to insert your flash drive, right click my computer and go to manage, then go to disk management and see if it recognizes the flash drive there. If it does, then you can reassign the flash drive to have a different drive letter, like U or V, so if you have any network drives mapped, they won't interfere. Other than that, I don't know, but good luck and let us know what happens.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

Have you tried the drive on other computers. I know that I have a external 2.5" usb hard drive that has given me false error messages on a computer. A computer that it had previously worked on before actually. Now the drive still works on other computers it was just the one specific computer that it had an issue with. I am also able to use other USB drives and devices on that same computer.
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
            Have you tried the drive on other computers. I know that I have a external 2.5" usb hard drive that has given me false error messages on a computer. A computer that it had previously worked on before actually. Now the drive still works on other computers it was just the one specific computer that it had an issue with. I am also able to use other USB drives and devices on that same computer.

I've actually tried it on a couple of computers - my own personal computer, and a co-worker's machine as well. I was hoping that it was just the machine but it appears to be the flash drive itself.

Comment

Try the free sofware Zeeko suggested.

How old is the drive? Does the metal part that comes in contact with the computer wiggle at all?

Have you tried it on other OSs? AKA Vista?

If you have it loose on a keychain, and it contains that vital of information, I REALLY suggest you get a case for it, or it's successor. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5347360

That should help protect it a little from the various magnetic sources that it could come across.
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                Try the free sofware Zeeko suggested.

How old is the drive? Does the metal part that comes in contact with the computer wiggle at all?

Have you tried it on other OSs? AKA Vista?

If you have it loose on a keychain, and it contains that vital of information, I REALLY suggest you get a case for it, or it's successor. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5347360

That should help protect it a little from the various magnetic sources that it could come across.
                Drive is less then two years old and appears to the naked eye to be in good shape. None of the parts seem to be cracked, warped or damaged and no movement on the metal part that goes into the drive - that's why this failure is so surprising.

Funny part is that I actually carry it around on my keychain using the exact case (and even from the same store) that you suggested.

I'll give all these sites and try and go from there - thanks a ton for all the suggestions!

Comment

Try that free one first, and best of luck!

(that little case is spiffy, aint it?)
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                  X