This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mp3 Player advice please

ok so I have developed a hatred of my Ipod-due to sucky battery and other issues-and do not under any circumstance want another one. So open to suggestions-advice-

what I'm leaning toward at the moment:

this one

or This,

mainly due to the fact that they support downloads from unbox at amazon*, and have expandable memory via SD cards(which are dirt cheap)-so I've read reviews and both seem pretty good-any opinions?

*we just cancelled cable(only watched 3 channels) and I like my House M.D. Law and order, and penn and teller-and they're available there
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 11-18-2007, 04:23 AM. Reason: missing link
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Go with the Zen Vision W if it's in your price range. The thing is the best on the market, bar none. If Apple didn't have the iCrap thing suckering in all the wannabe-hip iDiots, Creative would've blown them out of the water with that thing long ago.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

ordered the vision W from newegg today-$279 with shipping and I get a $50 mail in rebate and free screen protector!

yay happi Katt!
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        If Apple didn't have the iCrap thing suckering in all the wannabe-hip iDiots, Creative would've blown them out of the water with that thing long ago.
        Them be fightin' words.

I have a 20 gig 4th gen iPod that's getting close to turning 3 years old, and I still love it. I also have a second gen Shuffle, and I know that TheGatekeeper loves her video iPod.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          Them be fightin' words.
          I stand by my words: iPod drools, Zen rules.
          I'll admit they're decent machines, but you pay way too much for what you get, and that touch-wheel thing is a personal peeve-point of mine.
          Last edited by JustADude; 11-19-2007, 05:13 AM.
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I stand by my words: The price-to-feature ratio on iPods is horrible compared to the Creative Zen and SanDisk Sansa lines. They're not bad machines, but you pay way too much for what you get.
            Then say it that way. But using terms like iCrap and iDiots... not wise.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              Then say it that way. But using terms like iCrap and iDiots... not wise.
              I used to be an Apple fan from the days of the first PowerMac until they started with the whole iProduct thing and the move towards trying to be the "hip", trendy, better-than-you, artiste brand it is today. It pretty much felt like they were saying "Screw you" to the loyal geeks like me that had stuck with them through the bitter war against Microsoft and Intel.

Yes, I'm still severely bitter over it, but I do apologize for the iDiot crack. Sorry.
              Last edited by JustADude; 11-19-2007, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I stand by my words: iPod drools, Zen rules.
                I'll admit they're decent machines, but you pay way too much for what you get, and that touch-wheel thing is a personal peeve-point of mine.
                I absolutely agree--I bought a Creative Zen Touch two years ago, and it's great. I'd much rather have a player that does its job, is high quality, and durable than an overpriced, fashionable one (which is what Apple players have become...).
                Last edited by Listerfiend; 11-19-2007, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Go with the Zen Vision W if it's in your price range. The thing is the best on the market, bar none. If Apple didn't have the iCrap thing suckering in all the wannabe-hip iDiots, Creative would've blown them out of the water with that thing long ago.
                  Now were those terms necessary? I don't like Microsoft but I don't feel a need to make up rather pointless names just because of a dislike one harbors (Except for certain soccer teams in Spain and England but that's not relevant).

I own a few ipods (A 512 MB Shuffle, a 4th generation 20 GB, and a 5th gen. 30 GB) and I like them. Liked them before I even got my Mac. The Vision W might be good for viewing movies (Bigger screen) but in terms of storage space; no.

As for so called "IDiots" buying ipods. They're quite simple to use. My dad loathes, despises, and just about has an extreme dislike for Apple but he likes the ipod. Simple, no fancy stuff, and to the point. I like it and surprise surprise my dad owns one. Then again it doesn't surprise me that some will be apt to bash Apple because they're Apple.

Oh and find me an MP3 player that has 160GB for $350. The only place I found was Amazon selling the Archos at a sale rate ($350 IIRC) while it's list price is $600. I'll take the ipod even if I hate Apple.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Yes, I'm still severely bitter over it, but I do apologize for the iDiot crack. Sorry.
                    You're forgiven, just don't let it happen again.

Anyways, the touchwheel is really cool once you get the hang of it. Makes the brick game pretty fun.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                      The Vision W might be good for viewing movies (Bigger screen) but in terms of storage space; no.
                      Lets compare Oranges to Oranges, here: The Zen Vision W competes with the iPod Touch, not the iPod Classic.
                      The iPod Touch has a 1" smaller screen, holds 8GB/16GB instead of 30GB/60GB, and has a touch-screen to deal with, yet costs exactly the same as the Zen Vision W.

Yes, the classic iPod has more storage space, but come on, who really needs 160gb of storage on a media player? Most off-the-shelf computers only come with 80GB, if that much.

Comment

All depends on how you use it.

I want to keep all of my music with me. My 20 gig was fine until I discovered podcasts.

I just so happen to be drooling over the 160 gig.....

Comment

Yes, the classic iPod has more storage space, but come on, who really needs 160gb of storage on a media player? Most off-the-shelf computers only come with 80GB, if that much.
                          Die hard music lovers. I'm one of them. My laptop has a 250 GB hard drive for various reasons. One of them being that I produce music and that I listen to music.

For the ipod, I have about 20 GB of music (totaling to about 14 days of music). The 80 GB while nice isn't enough as I have various movies I'd like to have in there. Add that my music collection is growing at a constant rate (And I still have to transfer the rest of my vinyl collection to my computer but I've been lazy about it.) and then one would have a legitimate reason to get that much space. Again, I'm one of them. My collection grows constantly.
                          Last edited by ArenaBoy; 11-19-2007, 05:52 AM.

Comment

To suddenly dismiss a company because you don't like their marketing campaign seems somewhat fickle to me. I have been an Apple fan for years. Hell I even got flamed by big time gamers on this board because of my stand on Mac. Computers and electronics can have more than one function.

If you don't like Apple, great, don't buy one.

Fact: out of all of the competition (and I'm talking HP, Acer, Sony etc. because they really are the only ones that cover the the breadth of product like Apple) Apple is the leader in terms of quality of workmanship. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE can keep all of their customers happy all of the time. Mistakes happen. I have had Apple products for years. Any time I've had an issue (and they've been few and far between) Apple as always taken care of me.

Fact: Apple has always had leading edge marketing campaigns. To inspire such strong reactions in people, PROVES they know what they are doing.

I view the general public much like sheep, and yes it is sad to seem them jumping on the band wagon just because of the marketing campaign is sad. However not everyone who owns an iPod or Apple products purchased them because of the t.v. ads. However that is more a reflection on society than it is on Apple. Good for Apple to capitalize on the publics lemming mentality. The fact that you are getting a good product too is an even better reflection on Apple. They could throw quality and innovation out the window.

We live in a free market economy. This means that anyone can bring a product to the market place and let the market decide if they want it or not. You chose not to buy an iPod. You feel you got more value for your money by choosing a competing product. Congratulations you just proved that the system works!

You don't like Apple products great don't buy them. But to insult everyone else just because they don't agree with you is sad. I use to work in music retail. If someone on my staff said something like "country music sucks" I would correct them. I am not a fan of country music, can't stand it in fact, but just because I don't like it doesn't mean that it sucks.

My step brother use to make the same comments I've heard in this thread regarding Apple product. He has a degree in computers (I don't know exactly what) and has worked in IT for years, supporting Windows. He moved to a company a couple of years ago, and started working with Macs. He is now a total convert.

So there is my really long response to this thread, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm flaming, because that was not my intent.
                            "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I used to be an Apple fan from the days of the first PowerMac until they started with the whole iProduct thing and the move towards trying to be the "hip", trendy, better-than-you, artiste brand it is today. It pretty much felt like they were saying "Screw you" to the loyal geeks like me that had stuck with them through the bitter war against Microsoft and Intel.
                              That's a little oversensitive. Ditching a company because of that is silly. In fact the geek statement you made reflects that attitude you happen to dislike. Heck even the comments I hear from anti-Apple users reflect that statement. To me it shows insecurity.

Truth be told, I don't like Microsoft. But I don't need to reassure myself by rearranging product names and then using terms like that. It reeks of childishness. Heck some of the comments I've seen on here from some users who are computer savvy (And intelligent) show that insecurity when it comes to computers. Apple and Microsoft users alike. A lot of computer users would get their points across better if they didn't resort to being children.

Keep in mind, people are idiots. They always have been and they always will be. Apple is pretty much a marketing genius and they do it well. Point of marketing is to get customers and guess what? It works.

I don't mean to come off as harsh but it irritates me when someone has to reassure himself, herself, or others by bashing something and using rearrangement of words to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X