This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Question

I have a linksys befw11s4 wireless router.

When i play MUDs, if i idle for more then about 3 minutes, the router disconnects me. As far as I can tell this only happens over the wireless side of the router.

I tried to solve this problem a while back, i know it is this router in question, because i take my laptop to my father's house, and use his network, and i dont get these annoying disconnects.

I dont really remember what i tried (sorry)...

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to look for in the settings that might alievate this problem?

Or atleast could they suggest an inexpensive wireless router that will not do this silly stuff by default?

Im sorry I cant provide more info up front, i have to leave for work soon...

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
    Cyberpunk mayhem!

Moved to tech help, the place where the techies lurk and ... help.

Rapscallion

Comment

Not knowing this router very well, I can only offer generic advice:
      1. Double check the firmware with the latest version available from Linksys site. If there's a newer version available, you should install it.
      2. Some of these wireless routers have settings in them which will allow you to control dropping inactive connections. Remembering my days on MUDs, 3 minutes idle was rather normal.
      3. Some mud clients can do "keepalive" packets. Basically, send an empty packet to the server, and get a reply back. See if yours can do this, and use it if so.

What it sounds like to me is that the router sees it as an idle connection (no activity for a set period of time), and drops the connection. One of those settings above should (hopefully) be able to fix the problem.

Comment

People still MUD? Wow. Maybe I should get back into that.

(And Pederson has the best suggestions, BTW)
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Well, the only thing i could come up with on my own, was to set a timer with zmud to send a command, such as score, every 3 minutes or so(which also counts as an anti-idle trigger, which can get me in trouble with some muds...). Unfortunitly none of the settings i can find within the router sound like they could be related to this... and i have the last firmware... this thing is already a minimum of 2 years old, the last firware was released in april of 05, so i will either have to outsmart it, or buy a newer one...

btw, does anyone know of any wireless routers that dont do this?

I appricate all attempts at helping me.
          Last edited by symposes; 12-09-2007, 01:53 PM.
          http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
          Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            People still MUD? Wow. Maybe I should get back into that.

(And Pederson has the best suggestions, BTW)
            Yep, we still do. It's almost a duty, at this point, to preserve the lost art of the Text-Based MMO in the face of the Graphical MMO script-kiddy hordes... even though most script-kiddies are Alliance.

And yes, Pederson is full of win.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
            X