This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router Info Question

We got a Wii for Christmas. I'd love to get set up so we can download old games and things and the Wii comes with a wireless LAN adaptor.

I have a cable modem. I don't have a wireless router or adaptor, just a desktop with a direct cable connection to the modem.

What is the minimum wireless router and adaptor I need? I don't want to spend a fortune, as I'm not planning to network computers or get a laptop any time soon.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

WG
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

A basic wireless-G router like this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&cm_keycode=67 would suffice. If the Wii comes with an adapter, then you don't need one, you just need the router.

Comment

I've used D-Link for many years and the current wireless router we have has worked very well for us. Just make sure that you set up your wireless router so that it's secure. You don't need people around you piggybacking off of your service. All it takes is one person to be a bandwidth hog.

If you don't know how to set it up for a secured service, then contact customer service. The can walk you through it.

When you set up the Wii, you will need to passcode for the wireless service to sign on the Wii. Then you're good to go.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys..._na/online.jsp

Straight from Nintendo themselves. I used it to get my router, and to set it up. Pretty easy to follow. Any questions/clarification needed, gimme a shout.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
          I've used D-Link for many years and the current wireless router we have has worked very well for us. Just make sure that you set up your wireless router so that it's secure. You don't need people around you piggybacking off of your service. All it takes is one person to be a bandwidth hog.

If you don't know how to set it up for a secured service, then contact customer service. The can walk you through it.

When you set up the Wii, you will need to passcode for the wireless service to sign on the Wii. Then you're good to go.
          D-Link routers have never worked out for our clients, have the time they break down in 6 months, plus they're a hassle to configure (only wireless channel 6 available, among other things).

Comment

I have a Linksys router myself, and two switches of the same brand. I'm pretty happy with them.

I got a Wii for my wife recently, and while it does not come with an adapter, there are both wired and wireless adapters as optional accessories. I chose a wired one, and ran a 20' ethernet cable along the wall and behind the furniture to the console.
            Last edited by MadMike; 12-26-2007, 05:33 AM.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Circuit city? That will be overpriced.

Try doing searches on Newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, and tigerdirect.com. All three sites have good prices on products.
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                I got a Wii for my wife recently, and while it does not come with an adapter,
                ...I ran mine wireless right out of the box. No attachments or adapters. You're right. It's built in. Unless they changed that for recent models?

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help. As I understand it, the wireless adaptor is built in to the Wii. You can buy a wired adaptor if necessary.

I was looking really for basic router information. I'm afraid that, if I go into a store with no info, a salesman who isn't as decent as Hawaiian Shirts might try to sell me way more than I need.

Thank you all!
                  Document everything

Comment

Well, one of the links on the page I posted is this:
                    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...uterChoose.jsp

It tells you what the router needs to have. That's the page I used to pick my router. Unfortunately, I managed to pick up a really bad brand, so while it works with my Wii easily, the router itself doesn't give the best connection. So remember, don't get D-Link.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      ...I ran mine wireless right out of the box. No attachments or adapters. You're right. It's built in. Unless they changed that for recent models?
                      Interesting. I know I've seen both the wired and wireless adapters. I didn't see anything in the manual about any built-in wireless connection.

No big deal. After the experience with my media server/PC project, I've come to the conclusion that it's better to go wired if at all possible anyway.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Tigerdirect just sent a warehouse clearance ad with a TP-Link router for $14.99 after rebate. It's got good ratings, so I think I'll go that way. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much money.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
                        Document everything

Comment

Working...
                        X