Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to use a computer monitor as a TV Screen without a TV Tuner Card?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to use a computer monitor as a TV Screen without a TV Tuner Card?

I wanna use my LCD monitor as a TV Screen for my PS2. (The only TV I currently have available, is really tiny and crappy).

Problem is, I don't have a TV Tuner card. (Well I do, but it conflicts with my video card(s) [2 GeForce 7800GTX's connected through SLI], and crashes my system when I try to capture a signal from it).

I've already tried two ridiculous setups trying to convert the signal.

PS2 -> Component Cable -> Into a Component Switch -> Out as an S-Video signal -> Into an S-Video (in) to Component(out) converter/cross over cable -> Out as a Component signal -> into a Component (in) to Analog (out) monitor cable -> Into my monitor.

Also tried going directly from Component, into the switch, out as Component, and into the Component to Analog monitor cable (Skipping the S video steps above). Neither worked.

Only reason I tried the first one was because I tried the second setup first, and was hoping that using S-Video would downgrade the signal to something the monitor could read. I can get the monitor to recognize that a signal is actually being sent to it, but it just says "Sync out of range".

Just wondering if there's a way to accomplish this without using a TV Tuner card. Kinda doubting it lol =\

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows a good fee Video Capture program that allows you to preview in full-screen let me know. I have another idea I want to try, but it won't work without the program. (I can send an S-Video signal directly to my video card )
    Last edited by Lingering Grin; 02-09-2008, 06:07 AM.
    <Insert clever signature here>

Okay. I'm gonna say this once.

You're over thinking this.

An LCD monitor should have connections built-in to take component if it's any kind of decent. Meaning you can connect straight from the PS2 to the monitor, none of this futzing. If you don't have those hook-ups on a monitor, and just have the VGA input, then get a new monitor. My monitor has Composite, component, S-Video, DVI, VGA, and HDMI, and it cost less than $400. Your eyes will thank you, as playing a PS2 on that thing will make you wanna gouge your eyes out anyways.

If you can't spring for a new monitor, then the graphics cards should have programs available to display any video-in that you need to do, or poke around on NVidia's website for an app to do it. Then just get a component --> whatever video in you can get, and that should theoretically do it.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      Okay. I'm gonna say this once.

You're over thinking this.

An LCD monitor should have connections built-in to take component if it's any kind of decent. Meaning you can connect straight from the PS2 to the monitor, none of this futzing. If you don't have those hook-ups on a monitor, and just have the VGA input, then get a new monitor. My monitor has Composite, component, S-Video, DVI, VGA, and HDMI, and it cost less than $400. Your eyes will thank you, as playing a PS2 on that thing will make you wanna gouge your eyes out anyways.

If you can't spring for a new monitor, then the graphics cards should have programs available to display any video-in that you need to do, or poke around on NVidia's website for an app to do it. Then just get a component --> whatever video in you can get, and that should theoretically do it.

My monitor only has DVI and Analog connections. Unfortunately, it doesn't have connections for anything else, and my video card can only take either S-Video or Comp. In.

I do have a cable that allows me to go from an RGB connection (Pr, Pb, Y) to the analog port on my monitor. but unfortunately, I have nothing that will convert the signal so it can display (Hence the "Sync out of range" error I get).

Also, I can't buy anything right now, just trying to figure this out to get it to work.
      I did get the proper driver to work with the S-Video In connector, unfortunately all the video capture programs I have just display a black screen.

Comment

Hmm, this is looking like it won't be possible.

It seems the only way to get it to work is to buy a $150 converter. A computer just won't read the signal. =\

and the only software out there requires you to have a modded PS2. dang.

Comment

I have a cheap capture card, only set me back like 60 bucks, and it does the trick.

The picture isnt the best, but it served its purpose.

my card will take one video, and the only audio is the headphone jack style, so i had to buy a little adapter at radio shack that takes the white and red plugs and converts them to one headphone type plug.
          http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
          Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post

my card will take one video, and the only audio is the headphone jack style, so i had to buy a little adapter at radio shack that takes the white and red plugs and converts them to one headphone type plug.
            Oh, that was the easy part, lol.

The video is the hard part.

I just don't have anything that'll convert the signal. Even tried passing it through a VCR and a TV hoping them might have some sort of converter in em... no luck.

oh well...

Comment

The 360 has an adapter (for about the same as any of the other after-market cables) that's designed for use with computer monitors. I didn't see any for the PS2, but in the process I found something else that would do the job nicely. If it works as well as the 360 adapter, it'll be like having 1080p goodness in your face.

Basically, you can pick up converter boxes from around $40 that will take standard Component (some just S-Video) input and convert it into a standard hi-def VGA video output and various kinds of audio. If you have a set of speakers with their own aux-in input, you wouldn't even need to have your computer on to play the system.
              Last edited by JustADude; 02-10-2008, 08:42 AM.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I'm aware of all the adapters and stuff, but I can't buy anything.

I found a TV Tuner card lying around. Unfortunately, I don't have the proper cable for it, so it's useless too. =\

Comment

Working...
                X