This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert DVD Format to MPEG

I am only trying to do this to a legal DVD That I created, Its a Slideshow with Audio and Pictures, Not a Copyrighted Work.

I have a customer that I created a DVD Slideshow for. He wants to be able to put it on youtube (why I dunno). Well I have been having a hell of a time trying to convert the VOB file into a MPG so I can split it within the youtube limits.

Does anyone know of a (hopefully free) program that I can use to convert the DVD Format (VOB File) into a MPG. I also need to split the file into aprox 9-10 minute sections for uploading to youtube.

This is being done on a system with XP if that matters.

Thanks, I'm at my wits end with this and its driving me nuts
    My Karma ran over your dogma.

hit sourceforge.net in their multimedia section. There's quite a few in there that will do a large variety of formats.

I can't really recommend one myself as it's not something I do (ripping DVDs) so best piece of advice I can recommend is to try them out.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I don't do video but don't DivX have a conversion toolkit. Also just doing "vob mpeg convert" in google return quite a bit.
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I'm not at home to check, but DVDFab will take a DVD and convert it to several different formats. I don't know for certain if it'll do MPEG, but it does support AVI.

The link was posted in another thread, and I've only just started fooling around with it for use with my own DVD's.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          I'm not at home to check, but DVDFab will take a DVD and convert it to several different formats. I don't know for certain if it'll do MPEG, but it does support AVI.
          Unfortunately, only the paid version will let you convert to other formats.

Have you tried Super? It's free, and it handled just about every format I threw at at.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            Unfortunately, only the paid version will let you convert to other formats.

Have you tried Super? It's free, and it handled just about every format I threw at at.
            Actually, I was running a test on a DVD at home when I left. It had completed one AVI file, and was working on the second (of 5 episodes). It does only have a 28 (IIRC) day limitation to the free version, but if it works as well as it seems, I'll be buying it.

Note, I'm using the free download of the Platinum, not Gold. Perhaps there's a difference between the two...

I'm going to use it to convert my DVD's to AVI files so I can take them with my on my laptop when I'm away from home. That way I don't have to pack and/or carry around the actual DVDs.

Of course, I'm not at home to see the end result, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to check out the final product. I have no idea of the quality, and I already know that it's not going to pull the sub-titles into the final file.

EDIT: I'll have to look into Super though. I'm always looking for a good all-in-one video player since The Core Media player hasn't been updated in forever, and doesn't work in Vista.

Edit 2: After looking around a bit, I did find that there is a free version of DVDFab, which only rips disks. Personally, from what I've seen of the output of the AVI files I made, it'll be worth the $50 to purchase it.

Eric the Grey
            Last edited by Eric the Grey; 04-19-2008, 02:41 AM.
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
            X