This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook.pst missing?

Ok, so my computer (Windows XP Pro) crashed earlier. I restarted and found that my inbox wouldn't show up on Outlook. (All other folders will, not outlook).

It says that Outlook.pst has errors and I need to run scanpst.exe.

So I open that and I click browse, go to the folder that outlook told me to go to, and I have nothing to click on. In other words no .pst files.

I tried restarting, nothing. So I called Dell (Microsoft recommended me to). They have me do a system restore, nothing, and they have me start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, nothing.

At this point the guy offers to transfer me to Microsoft, and after holding for a few minutes I'm hung up on joy. (Total time on phone 30 minutes).

So I'm throwing myself on your mercy. Please help me! I can read messages in my Unread Mail, but I don't seem to be able to receive any new mail (sent one through my Yahoo! account).

If I have to reinstall Outlook I'll do it, as I've copied every message I could into another folder, but I was really hoping that I'd be able to run this scanpst or something to allow me to keep them if at all possible.

This is my work account so I won't be able to try anything till Monday when I get back to work (getting ready to split now)

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried windows search function? Here are the instructions, in case you've not done it before:

"WindowsKey + F" or "Start -> Search" to bring up the search window.

Click on "All files and folders"

In the first search box enter in *.pst

Click the Search button.

The right-hand pane will show you all the results it finds. Then go back to scanpst and navigate to where that is.

A couple of things though. First off, since this is at work, do you guys use a Microsoft Exchange server? If so, your PST file may be located there, which means you'll need the system administrator to do the scan for you, or they may need to recreate it if it's damaged badly enough.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Let me know if this is an exchange server, and I'll ponder.

Also, storing messages locally or on the server?
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I don't use outlook, so this may not be it...

...but do you have your computer set up to show you hidden files and folders?

If you right-click on My Computer, then click Explore, you can navigate around to that directory.
        Then click on Tools -> Folder Options
        Then click the tab marked View
        then scroll down until you see the option marked Show Hidden Files and Folders, and make sure the little circle has a dot in it. If it doesn't, click on the circle.
        You may get a warning message telling you that this is a bad idea, but you know better and you want to do it.

If the Apply button is now lit up, go ahead and click Apply.

Then click OK

You may be able to see files there, now. But, if that's not the problem, then it won't do anything for you.
        "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

All files are locally stored, no server to speak of, and I'm the guy who they put in charge of running the network (joy).

I did the search fucntion, and I can find outlook.pst, but it doesn't show up when I'm running the program.

I'll try the hidden option though, I thought that might be it, but I couldn't remember how to show it.

Comment

What is the exact path that this .pst is stored on? The one that will not open with outlook?

Cutenoob
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
              Ok, so my computer (Windows XP Pro) crashed earlier. I restarted and found that my inbox wouldn't show up on Outlook. (All other folders will, not outlook).

It says that Outlook.pst has errors and I need to run scanpst.exe.

So I open that and I click browse, go to the folder that outlook told me to go to, and I have nothing to click on. In other words no .pst files.

I tried restarting, nothing. So I called Dell (Microsoft recommended me to). They have me do a system restore, nothing, and they have me start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, nothing.

At this point the guy offers to transfer me to Microsoft, and after holding for a few minutes I'm hung up on joy. (Total time on phone 30 minutes).

So I'm throwing myself on your mercy. Please help me! I can read messages in my Unread Mail, but I don't seem to be able to receive any new mail (sent one through my Yahoo! account).

If I have to reinstall Outlook I'll do it, as I've copied every message I could into another folder, but I was really hoping that I'd be able to run this scanpst or something to allow me to keep them if at all possible.

This is my work account so I won't be able to try anything till Monday when I get back to work (getting ready to split now)

Thanks in advance.
              I have had this happen before with a customer's computer. This link will explain the steps necessary:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...563001033.aspx

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                What is the exact path that this .pst is stored on? The one that will not open with outlook?
                It was C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Quoth volatile View Post
                I have had this happen before with a customer's computer. This link will explain the steps necessary:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...563001033.aspx
                Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That worked!!!!!!! I think I lost any e-mails that may have been sent over the weekend, but I got it back WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

And seriously thank you all for your suggestions and help. You saved me a lot of heartache today.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                  It was C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That worked!!!!!!! I think I lost any e-mails that may have been sent over the weekend, but I got it back WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

And seriously thank you all for your suggestions and help. You saved me a lot of heartache today.
                  For future needs, I suggest using Amic Email Backup. It will take all your folders, emails, mail settings and put it into a single file you can back up. Then if your email ever needs to be reset or your system needs to be formatted you just have to reinstall the utility, double click on the archive file and it will rebuild everything for you.

http://www.amictools.com/v-amic_email_backup.html

It actually supports numerous email clients.

Comment

Working...
                  X