This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help fixing my stupidity...

OK, so I was wandering around the interwebz, and came across a banner ad to Dance Dance Revolution free online. So I click, and it takes me to a site called gamevance.com, which (supposedly) gives you money for playing cheap knock-offs of brand name computer-type games. Well, being a stupid Parrothead, I loaded the software that the site told me I needed to run the games. It started linking me to random crap (I didn't read any of it) and flinging pop-up ads for things based on whatever site I was on, so I uninstalled the stuff, and canceled my file with them. And now, about half the time when I start Mozilla, my homepage shows up. and the other half, I get toolbar.ask.com as a search from ask.com.

I am running Zone alarm, and Spybot Search & Destroy right now, but how can I make ask stop showing up?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

You may still have some rogue programs even after the uninstall. I'd suggest running some dedicated sweepers like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Spybot Search & Destroy from safe mode to clean the rest of it out.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

MalwareBytes in Safe mode. While starting up your computer, keep tapping F8. That'll take you to safe mode. A scan not in safe mode is barely worth the time.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

i've been successful running a system restore when i inadvertently install something stupid on my pc to get rid of that stuff. that may be the quickest fix if it was a recent problem...

Comment

I did a scan in safe mode, and mozilla is still trying to go to ask.com when I don't want it to. Suggestions?

And pretend I know nothing: how do i do a system restore?
          What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Download Hijackthis http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html and PM me the log file.

PM me if you need more help running the scan. If you mananged to run Malwarebytes in safe mode, you can figure out hijackthis.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

System restore in xp:

start --> all programs --> accessories --> system tools --> system restore.

It then gives you a wizard to walk through. You select a bolded date on the calendar (on the left hand side) to a time before the problem started occuring. Then you select a restore point on the right hand side, and pretty much click next until it asks you to reboot.

ETA
              ------
              something along these lines (found on a blog because ms's website is being finicky for me)

Step 1:- Go To Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Step 2:- One window will appear. Select restore my computer to an earlier time.

Step3:- Click Next

Step4:- Choose your Restore Point Click Next

Step5:- Click Next

Now Computer will Shut Down and it will operate System Restore and it will open. It will show you one dialog box. Click Ok.
              You’re done
              If you don’t like doing system Restore then you can also undo your System restore. To undo your system restore Follow Step 1 Same as above then on Step 2 Choose Undo my last restore Click Next.
              Last edited by CorDarei; 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
                I did a scan in safe mode, and mozilla is still trying to go to ask.com when I don't want it to. Suggestions?

And pretend I know nothing: how do i do a system restore?
                Have you checked the Firefox add-ons? Click Tools -> Add-ons and look for anything you don't recognize. Remove them if possible or disable them if not.

I read an article earlier that noted that an windows update included an add-on to Firefox that allows Firefox to run .Net applications, exposing it to vulnerabilities that may turn up. The uninstall button is turned off but you can disable it.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                  I read an article earlier that noted that an windows update included an add-on to Firefox that allows Firefox to run .Net applications, exposing it to vulnerabilities that may turn up. The uninstall button is turned off but you can disable it.

Eric the Grey
                  Not quite correct.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-6383ba034eab

Will let you uninstall it all together. Also the "exposing it to vulnerabilities" is incorrect as well, but that's unimportant.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                  X