This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball amounts of ram

My computer has 522,768 ram, according to the "system" icon in the control panic. Isn't that a weird number and why is it so?

522768 WHAT of RAM? KB? MB? If KB, then it's 510.5 MB, which isn't far off from 512 MB, which isn't an oddball amount. Rounding, not reading the full part, etc. means I'd be shocked if it did read as the full 512 MB.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      522768 WHAT of RAM? KB? MB? If KB, then it's 510.5 MB, which isn't far off from 512 MB, which isn't an oddball amount. Rounding, not reading the full part, etc. means I'd be shocked if it did read as the full 512 MB.
      KB is how Windows reports it.
      Otaku

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
        KB is how Windows reports it.
        Not mine. 2 GB here. That's all it says. Not even "2048 MB"

Comment

I've seen Windows display RAM in KB in the General tab of the System Properties window before - it's kinda unusual for it to display it like that, but it's not anything to worry about.

It's not an oddball number, either - it's just reporting that your system has 512 megabytes (MB), but is displaying it in kilobytes (KB).

Comment

Ah, ok. I know the machine was advertised as have 512 mb of ram when we got it, i was just curious why it didn't say "512,000" on the thing.

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
              was just curious why it didn't say "512,000" on the thing.
              Because of the joyous disconnect between how computers calculate Bytes, and how marketers do, partially. 1024 KB = 1 MB, in computer worlds, but marketers like 1000 KB = MB. If you look at MP3 players with built in storage, they'll often do something like "1,000,000 KB = GB" which is smaller than it technically should be. Also, sometimes, a system just won't be able to address every last byte for one reason or another, so that can lower the total a bit, which is why you don't have a clean conversion with your total. That one, I really can't explain.

Comment

The video system could be taking a bit of the system RAM away. Seen that happen a lot with the on-board chipsets and low-end AGP cards.\
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I think the video card in this computer is probably the best thing about it. NVidia geforce 7300 GT. I think it's like a 512 meg card. Probably kinda redundant after a while though.

Comment

Working...
                  X