This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Help

We have been having internet problems since we moved into the new place. It will occasionally just completely cut off. When I check the modem the light for the cable line is off. However the cable tv still works so I am still receiving a signal. A friend of mine suggested that the modem may be overheating but I don't know how to check or verify this. We have called comcast when the issue happens and they say our line is still good. Any ideas?
    we have a linksys modem model: befumc10

Thanks

Interesting.... I'm assuming that they're not actually communicating with the modem when the "line is good" then? [the modem should have a light on I'd think if they could connect to it] - and they could tell and see how many computers you had connected to the internet (well, should be "one" being the router, but still see it)?

Considering you said the problem started since the move into a new place -- it'd make me think that one of the following is wrong:
    1) the line to the modem has a short/etc (despite what they said.... now if they said "we can see your modem and the settings are right" or similar, then yeah the line probably is good
    2) the modem got damaged in transport
    3) something weird happened when you move that meant the modem needed different settings or something when you moved to connect (either their end or yours) and it hasn't been done.

Since you haven't had the problem before... I'd check into things like above before doing the other thing: check for firmware updates ("if it's not broke" applies here... I accidentally "bricked" my router briefly until I managed to wipe and reload it once by a corrupted update).
    Last edited by JLRodgers; 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

1) Quite possibly. Part of the problem is by the time we get an actual person through the service line the issue has resolved itself. Usually the outages will last anywhere from 1-2 minutes up to 20.
      2) we tried my old modem which worked fine at my last place and the same thing happened. Its possible they both got damaged in transport but unlikely so we're trying the 3rd modem currently.
      3) No idea. I've been hunting for firmware updates for the modems but have only found the linksys ones so far. I'm not looking rreally hard as I got hooked into the Ghostbusters game.

Comment

Given what you replied -- I'd say it's the wire itself and not your modems.

Now how to get it taken care of... that'd be another matter considering they can't see any problems.

Comment

Working...
        X