This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I survived a virus attack.

I had the Vista permission screen pop up and ask if I wanted to run the program 0.06256622085957053.exe. I declined and a second popup asked to run 0.45394908390448696.exe which was also declined. Then Norton popped up and said suspecious programs were trying to run, me being the first instance of the 0.0625... program in their records. After reboot per Norton's request, I found a third program 0.6840672844941504.exe had also tried to run.

Looking at Norton's log of these events, it said that less than 10 users had encountered these programs. I also found out they came from the website www. hoploawq.com. Looking it up on Google revealed it is a known malware producing web site.

Does anyone have any insights into these?

Update: Since posting this I've had 5 more attacks. Norton identifies these are "Trojn. FakeAV".

The program is further identified as www. hoploawq.com/exe.php?spl=java0

Another update: Hmmm... It seems to happen when I visit this web comic http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 02-09-2010, 01:43 AM. Reason: Update
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

It looks like you're getting them blocked in time, but I still would do a run of Malwarebytes, just in case.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I wonder if some viruses might be targeting webcomics. Like I mentioned in the Off Topic thread, Kheldarson and I both picked up a trojan and the "Internet Security 2010" rogue/spyware after checking Do You Work Here.
      » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
        I wonder if some viruses might be targeting webcomics. Like I mentioned in the Off Topic thread, Kheldarson and I both picked up a trojan and the "Internet Security 2010" rogue/spyware after checking Do You Work Here.
        My AV (Avast) is picking this up every time I visit the site as well. Personally, I believe it is coming from one of the banner ads on the site, but I cannot be certain.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

An idea might be to use firefox with flashblock and adblocker addons, visit the site and see if there are any problems.

If there are no problems then it will be the adverts, so contact the site, or use their forums (if available) and mention it, the owner of the site shoudl be able to track down which adverts it is and see if he can prevent them from showing

oh, and Kabe, i picked up something similar when visiting the Customerssuck livejournal group
          "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
          Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I second the idea of using Fire Fox. The main reason why I like it is because of how easy it is to turn java and java scripting on and off. I only turn on Java when I need to and then only on sites that I trust.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Comment

Working...
            X