This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac Sunfire 2003 Windshield Washer Pump

I'm trying to figure out why my girlfriends windshield washer pump doesn't work, when you push down on the lever the wipers turn on but no power goes to the pump where the fluid is wondering has anyone has this problem?

I almost forgot I did pop the cover off the steering wheel and find a wiring harness with 5-6 wires going into it and can't seem to disconnect it from the switch mechanism. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the contacts inside of the switch as I would rather not go with option B.

Run a hot wire to the pump splice into the wire under the car and install a push button.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Quoth underemployeed View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why my girlfriends windshield washer pump doesn't work, when you push down on the lever the wipers turn on but no power goes to the pump where the fluid is wondering has anyone has this problem?
    if the sunfire is much like my brothers camaro, there should be an electrical connection under the washer tank, they have a lovely habit of coming loose or corroding due to their location. i would check there first. it may also be as simple as a burned out motor. sadly its in the same place IIRC
    Last edited by Dave1982; 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Actually I jacked the car up and tested the wire to see if it had voltage when you pressed the lever, no such luck. I'm hoping when I get a chance I can just add a push button across the right wires, not the best solution but significantly better from my first idea.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Dare I ask, did you check the fuses? The wipers and the pump may be on separate circuits.

Before you start running wires and installing buttons, check to make sure the pump works.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Dare I ask, did you check the fuses? The wipers and the pump may be on separate circuits.

Before you start running wires and installing buttons, check to make sure the pump works.
          Um, let me get back to you on that, I did check all the ones in the glove box. But have not checked the power distribution block under the hood, but that is what happens when she has a friends baby shower to attend when I'm in the middle of working on it.

But the fuse labeled wipers is good, and kills the wipers when you take it out. I really need to find a cheap but decent quality tone generator so I can easily trace the wire for the pump. because the previous idjit had a sound system, neon lights, and a car alarm. All pretty shoddily installed and leaving a mess of wires and equipment htat doesn't work.

Comment

I hope you disconnected the battery power before you took the steering column shroud off. Don't want that airbag going off

I'd check to see if the pump works before adding wires. A 'generic' pump isn't too expensive at Autozone or similar stores.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well I attempted to remove the lever/switch mechanism, and without a shop book it looks to be to much of a pain. because I was wanting to just remove the wiring harness that has 5 wires going to the switch but with tugging and pulling it didn't want to budge. Found out which was the hot wire (yellow) and I took a jumper wire and just shorted that to the other 4 wires one at a time, turns out the red wire makes the wipers move and and the pump spray. Considering the switch is $40 and the gf doesn't want to spend the money, I peeled back some insulation on the red wire and soldered a length of wire to it to which I will install a switch between that and the +12V, all without needing to climb under the car.

Thanks for tip about the airbag as when I loosened the one lever the horn started freaking out so I made sure to disconnect the battery as airbags randomly deploying probably aren't that friendly.

Looks like the problem is solved, now to either trouble shoot or remove the neon lights that were "professionally" installed by the previous owner. IE, have wire going directly to the battery with no fuse and only half work.

OH, and yes for good measure I held down the wire with duct tape so it doesn't move around to much when your sticking it in the cigarette lighter, well that was done more as a joke but I won't be able to finish for a few days.

Comment

Looks like the problem is solved, now to either trouble shoot or remove the neon lights that were "professionally" installed by the previous owner. IE, have wire going directly to the battery with no fuse and only half work.
                I would have IMMEDIATELY disconnected the battery and refused to let her drive it after finding that out. Ever shorted a car battery's terminals together? Imagine a bomb going off under the hood. Even if she made it out of that incident uninjured, the car would be a total loss.

Personally, I'd just add a fuse and call it a day. If the fuse blows, whatever. It's cosmetic anyway.

Comment

Not related to the washer pump, but (from what I've seen when they were in front of me) there seems to be a common problem with the Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire and exhaust hangers. Very often, the muffler bounces around as if some of the hangers had failed and it was being supported by the exhaust pipe (puts excess stress on the pipe). Hangers are a lot cheaper than mufflers.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Thanks for tip about the airbag as when I loosened the one lever the horn started freaking out so I made sure to disconnect the battery as airbags randomly deploying probably aren't that friendly.
                    The reason I mentioned that...is that you could accidentally deploy the bag. Plus, some older cars (like my MG), don't cut power when the ignition is off. On that car, the brown earth wire is always live, and there aren't many fuses in that car's electrical system. Just the thing to start a fire What I usually do, is remove one battery cable, and wrap the end in a towel. That way, there's no chance of it falling back onto the battery...or somewhere where it can cause a short.

But, back to the airbag--you don't want one going off in your face. They're expensive to replace, and if you have your hand *just* right, over the wheel...you could end up smacking yourself in the face
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

One airbag deployment in something like a sunfire= write off usually. Even if its accidental, i hear insurance values it as $5000 a side or something, maybe someone can clarify.

Glad you got the situation solved, usually when a pump stops working its the pump, but when someone screws the whole electrical system then its a bigger deal. I have seen STERO installs in cavaliers/sunfires (earlier models had the airbags wired through the stereo) where there were melted/exposed airbag wires all chopped up and ready to go lol.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                        (earlier models had the airbags wired through the stereo)
                        WHAT THE F---..... is that even legal?

Comment

do the wipers run when you push the washer button? i need to replace the multi-function switch in my van for the wipers, as i can push in on the lever and nothing happens. it's like, you can push it 20 times and on the 21st it will go... or you can push it 3 times before it goes... and its like, a $500+ repair to make apparently. *sighs* thanks be I have my own mechanic (i <3 my little sister) who works for free
                          "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                          ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

I'm having the opposite problem on my 2000 grand marquis -- pushing the switch makes the washers come on, but I cannot get the wipers to come on at all -- which is obviously A Very Bad Thing. Thing is, this happened last year, too. I cannot recall where I was able to get it fixed (replaced the motors, they were burned out, which is really odd, they're not used often), only that it was like the sixth place that I had tried >_< Ugh
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X