X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD TV

Hey all!

My parents are looking to get a flat screen to mount on the wall in the living room. I've been doing a little research, and am leaning towards the Sony Bravia 40".

Now, I know there's an S brand that's considered the Devil, but I believe that's the one that rhymes with Hamstrung.

Of course, who did my parents manage to talk to yesterday at Sears? A Hamstrung rep, of course, who extolled the virtues of Hamstrung products. (One word, Mom, Bias.....)

So, basically, I just need some more info from those CSers who are more um... imagephiles?? Is the Sony a good bet? Am I right that Hamstrung is bad? Also, here's my parents' living room.

My Dad would LIKE the TV mounted over the fireplace. I'm not too sure about that (heat+electronics usually = bad).

I'm thinking a swivel mount in the left corner (above the existing tv).

So, thoughts, opinions, hints, tips and tricks?

Smooch! Thank you, all!!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Actually... Samsung is considered one of the best (but you pay a premium for it). Sony is not particularly great, but not terrible either; you're probably thinking of Sanyo, which is junk. I could be wrong; there might be a store brand out there that starts with an S. (NEVER buy store-brand electronics.)

Above the fireplace seems awfully high; you'd have to be sitting a good distance away to not get a sore neck. Or maybe it's the picture, I dunno. In terms of safety, as long as you keep the cords out of the way, you should be fine; it'll be behind the brick and the wood shelf and away from the bulk of the heat.
    Last edited by roothorick; 11-27-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
      Now, I know there's an S brand that's considered the Devil, but I believe that's the one that rhymes with Hamstrung.

actually if your talking business practices, environmental practices, and how they view their consumers-it would be sony*-I refuse to EVER purchase a sony product.

In January 2007, BrandFinance ranked Samsung company as the number 1 global brand in electronics.

We have a samsung 40" LED tv, no problems at all, and it was on sale for under $800 when we got it-compared to the sony LCD for over $1400-LED uses much less power.

*remember their defense to breaking laws and installing malware on people's computers without the owner's knowledge or consent-was "well most people don't know what a rootkit is, so why should they care"

Plus people that bought the original PS3's found Sony remotely removing the linix that had been installed at the factory and was a feature on the product.

They also hired vandals to cover buildings in the US with grafitti to promote the PSP.
      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 11-27-2010, 05:25 PM.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

When my parents were replacing the TV in the front room last year, they were looking for a sony, but the salesman (who knows my parents, and thus knows not to bullshit them) explained that the Bravia panels are, for the most part, made by Samsung. The Samsung they bought does a brilliant job, and cost less then the equivalent Bravia.

Just a thought.

C.
        Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

You shouldn't have heat problems hanging the TV over the fireplace, but as mentioned by roothorick you might wind up with a crick in your neck if you put it there.

Your pic doesn't go around far enough but you might want to consider putting it on the wall to the left. It's across from the couch, and although it might seem close it'd probably be fine with a flat screen.

Comment

Sony also has a bad rep with the customers when it comes to their online games.

Yiz
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Chrismor View Post
              explained that the Bravia panels are, for the most part, made by Samsung.

dammit I knew sony didn't actually make their own tvs but couldn't for the life of me remember or locate who did make them....
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

From what I have seen/heard, Samsung products are some of the best out there.

However, to say that Samsung's support of their customer base sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls is being incredibly kind to Samsung. Everybody I've ever spoken to about Samsung will say the same thing: I bought a Samsung (fill in the blank), but I will never buy anything of theirs again.

They do make good product. They just don't take care of customers who have already bought their product, so far as I can tell.

Comment

I might as well add my 2 cents worth, 3 cents if you account for inflation.

I have a Samsung wide screen, flat screen TV, CRT type. It has performed very well. I have had it about six years or so. But I know nothing about the company itself or other models of their TVs.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sony is using Samsung panels now? Trying to clean up their brand image, are they?

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    We have a samsung 40" LED tv, no problems at all, and it was on sale for under $800 when we got it-compared to the sony LCD for over $1400-LED uses much less power.
                    Ah, that's right, that's why I never buy Sony in general. Their crap demands a premium it's not worth. For the price of say, a 42" Bravia, I could get a 46" Samsung with a better picture.

Comment

Sony quality has gone in the toilet over the last couple of decades, unfortunately. It used to be a great brand.

If I was going to be making a major purchase that wasn't based almost entirely on price (my LCD TV is by Sylvania, and it's survived several trips and a lot of use over the past year or so), I would check things like Consumer Reports for quality reports.

As for location, I agree that over the fireplace is rather high. However, if you didn't plan to be watching when the fire was going, you could have it mounted in such a way that it would lower for when you wanted to watch TV and then be raised when you weren't.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We have had a Samsung 40" (i think that is the size) LED LCD TV. We love it. It has a great picture. And we lucked into a deal when we got it from Best Buy they were giving away a Samsung blu ray player.

Only complaint is updating the thing
                        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                          Your pic doesn't go around far enough but you might want to consider putting it on the wall to the left. It's across from the couch, and although it might seem close it'd probably be fine with a flat screen.
                          The couch, which you can't tell, is a sectional. All the TV viewing is done from the part facing the fireplace.

I'll pass on the information about above the fireplace, and it potentially being too high.

You all are the best!
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                            We have had a Samsung 40" (i think that is the size) LED LCD TV.
                            LED and LCD are mutually exclusive(two separate technologies-think digital and analog)

LED=Light emitting Diode
                            LCD=liquid crystal display

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                              LED and LCD are mutually exclusive(two separate technologies-think digital and analog)

LED=Light emitting Diode
                              LCD=liquid crystal display
                              These new TVs are LCD, with LED backlights. The technology is nice because the LEDs are more efficient than the other backlight technologies, result in a thinner TV, and can be turned off selectively on portions of the display resulting in a better dynamic black level.

Comment

Working...
                              X