Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't hear the ice cream truck song now without thinking of the Ice Cream Guy from Legion
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
      I can't hear the ice cream truck song now without thinking of the Ice Cream Guy from Legion
      Ummm... when I see an ice cream truck I think of this:
      A Heap Of Trouble
      NSFW, full frontal male nudity, but hilarious all the same.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Some people are just inconsiderate and lazy - that much fuss over 2"??

On the other subject: our neighborhood had a "Ding-Ding" Man, all the van had on it was a bell. No speakers, no music. I realize now what a nice alternative that is, also the sound carries farther!
        "Always take a moment to thank the food." - Osage Proverb
        Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder.
        Backpfeifengesicht: German for a face that cries out for a fist in it.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
          Ummm... when I see an ice cream truck I think of this:
          A Heap Of Trouble
          NSFW, full frontal male nudity, but hilarious all the same.
          That is is just too, too funny.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Not_a_Miracleworker View Post
            On the other subject: our neighborhood had a "Ding-Ding" Man, all the van had on it was a bell. No speakers, no music. I realize now what a nice alternative that is, also the sound carries farther!
            My neighborhood had one of those too, but it was the scissors grinder, not the ice cream man. He drove around Brooklyn in an old wooden van (I sneaked a look at his registration sticker once; I think it said it was a 1948 Dodge) with a huge gong screwed to the wall next to his seat; as he entered each block, he'd whang on it twice with a hammer, and people would come out and give him their knives, scissors and whatnot to sharpen. (My grandfather used to have him do his circular-saw blades.)

By us, the ice cream trucks played the Mister Softee music. (Deedly deedly dee-dee-dee, dee dee-dee dee deeee dee.) My mom told me once that when she lived in the old neighborhood, the truck would park at the corner and just blare that tune, all 30 seconds of it, continually for two hours, until she was ready to strangle the guy.

(The older trucks had an actual miked music box to produce the sound; you could hear the groaning of the spring motor under the music. The guy who comes around now in my parents' neighborhood has it on an endless-loop cassette, which is so worn out from being played all day every day for 10-15 years, that it can't maintain the correct speed anymore, so it speeds up and slows down at random intervals, making it sound even worse. The truck here in Joisey, on the other hand, plays some horrible tune on a one-note-at-a-time synth, interspersed with metronome clicks, duck quacks and other animal sounds, and at the end has an annoyed female voice say "Hel-lo?!" just before it loops. Rather than that I'd take the Mr Softee any day, thanks, even as obnoxious as it is.)

Comment

Working...
            X