Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welp, I'm back in it (or, Beware The Fangirl Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp, I'm back in it (or, Beware The Fangirl Part 2)

I am officially back at the newspaper in my old position, writing obituaries, births, deaths, weddings, etc., and I couldn't be happier. It's amazing how fast you come to appreciate a cushy desk job after you've worked your butt off for a year in culinary school.

There's been one change during my three-year semi-leave from the newspaper that I'm happy to report, and that is that, for the first time, our paper has begun including same-sex partners as such as survivors in obituaries. Yeah, yeah, we're kinda behind the times on that, but it's a newspaper firmly in the Bible Belt.

Unfortunately, that does mean whenever we publish one of these, we get a mini-flurry of complaints about it.

Fortunately, now, they're complaining to me. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm a little bit of a fangirl with some...particular interests...so I'm in a unique position to fire back at them.

Me: "Newsroom."
    Angry Woman: "I need to talk to someone about that disgusting thing in the paper today!"
    Me: "Which disgusting thing would that be, ma'am?"
    AW: "The *Smith* obituary!" (Not the real name.)
    Me: "What about it, ma'am?"
    AW: "She had another woman listed as her partner, and they had a child with their last names, and-" *rant rant rant homophobia rant rant went to hell horrible bullshit rabble* "-and I think I may just cancel my subscription to your paper if you keep running such nasty things! What do you say to that?"
    Me: "I say you're complaining to the wrong person, seeing as I have at least a dozen photoshops on my computer of Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. mid-coitus."
    AW: *GAAAAAAAAAASP, stammer stammer* "-LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR BOSS!"
    Me: *shrugs, transfers*

I don't know what she said to him, just that five minutes later, he was coming to my desk.

Boss: "You meant your personal computer, right?"
    Me: "Yeeup."
    Boss: *nods once, gives me one last odd look, then returns to his office and goes back to singing Beatles songs at the top of his lungs*

Yeah, I don't know if she cancelled or not, but at least I left an image in her head for the rest of the day.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Winning!!!

Nuff Said.

Comment

Wow. They go easy on you. A reporter that covered last years Pride Parade here got death threats because he reported that 300 members of the local prominent religion marched in support of the LGBT community.

I wonder how those people feel about the 400 people that marched this year.

Comment

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but hearing this type of response to an OBIT, where the person is deceased and a family is grieving, that really hurts.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Throw in Matt Damon in those pics and I'm there. :-)
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
            Me: "I say you're complaining to the wrong person, seeing as I have at least a dozen photoshops on my computer of Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. mid-coitus."
            I am so glad you said that for reals to her.

Comment

What the Hell is wrong with people? How does this affect her life in any way? Why is she reading obituaries for people she doesn't even know?
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

ROFL Wow, that was great! I'm sure she did cancel, but obviously it isn't nearly as big a deal as she thought it would be!

That is one thing I really liked about the newspaper where I worked: if we got a call from a certified idiot, we could cut the conversation short, no apologies needed, no "how can we make it up to you?", nothing. Somebody called once to scream at me and when I asked who I was talking to, they refused to tell me. I pointed out that they knew who I was; it was only fair that I knew who they were. Nope, no dice. At that point I said, "Then you have nothing to say that's worth listening to" and hung up.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                  ... singing Beatles songs at the top of his lungs...
                  Everybody's Got Something To Hide, Except For Me and My Monkey...
                  Why Don't We Do It In The Road...
                  Dig A Pony...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I don't support that lifestyle, but I don't know why anybody would get upset over an obituary.

Comment

Was someone forcing her to read the obituaries?
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Same

Quoth lobo65 View Post
                        I don't support that lifestyle, but I don't know why anybody would get upset over an obituary.
                        I am the same mind, but why, oh why, would you spend the time scanning the write up of dead people who you have nothing to do with to complain to another group of people who also have nothing to do with you?

Comment

It's part of General Manager of the Universe syndrome. There's a lot of it about.

I'm happy and proud to say the paper I work at runs death notices that list surviving same-sex partners (I haven't personally had any complaint calls about it, and I doubt anyone has, I would have heard about it). It was never an issue, just seemed to start happening naturally.

And, the editor recently stated that "all weddings are welcome to be listed."
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ok, all - the commentary and opinions about same-sex marriage stops NOW. Focus only on the suckiness of the OP.

It's not fair to Mysty if we have to shut the thread down because people can't keep from fratching.
                            Last edited by Peppergirl; 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I get the feeling this is the same "lady" who would read the paper for the weather and then call up the newspaper to complain because it's going to rain on her speshul outdoor tea party!

Lady, they don't control the details of the obits, just like they don't control the details of the weather. They just print 'em.

At least she's was calling YOU to complain instead of hunting up the family of the deceased to do so...
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                              X