Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welp, I'm back in it (or, Beware The Fangirl Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Cecily View Post
    Another reason people read obituaries is to get a good deal on their possessions.
    Quoth ADeMartino View Post
    Some 'direct salesman' read those things too. They like to read about how some guy passed away and left behind a widow, because in many cases, the grieving widow is perceived as an 'easy mark'.
    Anyone see Paper Moon?

... he visits recently widowed women, pretending he is a Bible salesman who recently sold an expensive, personalized Bible to the deceased husband. The widows usually pay him the claimed "balance owed" for the bibles inscribed with their names.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      Anyone see Paper Moon?
      I did see Paper Moon, I'm pretty sure, but it's been bloody ages (well, the movie DID come out in the 1970s...). The only thing I can remember is the 'birthday money' bit.

Comment

I'm probably paraphrasing, but there was a comedian (Dangerfield, maybe) who said something like:

"Every morning I check the obituaries. If my name isn't in there I get out of bed."

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
          I'm probably paraphrasing, but there was a comedian (Dangerfield, maybe) who said something like:

"Every morning I check the obituaries. If my name isn't in there I get out of bed."
          I'm pretty sure it was George Burns. (I thought of this quote myself while reading this thread. )

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Unless they're trying to kick in your front door for your braaaaaaaaains, there's really no reason to have a beef with the dead....
            Somehow I don't think that the complainer mentioned in the OP needs to worry about that - sounds like she could starve a zombie.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X